Airport security

macker

I am recently type 2 diagnosed and flying to Europe at the weekend. Ami required to inform security of my lancets/ needles as I am just carrying hand luggage with me?

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had a similar concern first time I flew this year after diagnosis. Had absolutely no problems going through Gatwick. I told the security chap, he said it was fine - I didn't even have to get my monitor out of my bag. I know others have had issues with different airports (I think someone said Bristol was a troublesome spot!) but when I asked the question most people replied positively.

I'll be trying Stansted tomorrow in the way to Germany so fingers crossed they are as relaxed there!

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I was told to carry a letter from my doctor stating what I needed to carry and what meds I'm on (for my other conditions). The last time I presented it at check-in they told me they were seating me where they could easily monitor me. I guess they have duty of care to know these things. You should be fine if you carry a letter, original scripts, original packaging meds with you. I just carried what I needed for transit on the plane, etc... for needles/lancets. I put the rest in my check-in luggage.

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
To be honest, in 30 years (up to 40 times per year domestic and internationally) I have never had a problem with lancets, blood test equipment, insulin or syringes going through the hand baggage scanners at security and don't even bother mentioning my kit now. Pumps cause a different problem, and have been discussed in different threads on here, but that is not a concern for you I guess!
I just leave it all in my hand baggage and don't even bother saying anything as the metal parts are too small to even be noticed. On the occasions my bags have been pulled aside to be searched, I politely explain at that point that I am diabetic, and they always handle everything with care and respect - Diabetes is not the little known phenomenon it was decades ago ;) !

rache

I am recently type 2 diagnosed and flying to Europe at the weekend. Ami required to inform security of my lancets/ needles as I am just carrying hand luggage with me?
I agree with Mep. I also asked a letter from my GP and I never had any problem. It is better to be sure and safe for your own good.

Sibyl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Never been asked for the letter but they go mad for the frio packed insulin every time! When going thru security I put the frio bags in the xray tray separately now as then they just check that rather than make you empty your carry on bags. I always carry all my kit in my carry on bag, not the hold luggage as that can go walk about.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My advice is to carry glucose tablets or something that doesn't look like its for recreational use. While I acknowledge the effects of a Coke or sugary drink, I prefer not to hold up the line just so I can save a bit of money. Remember that security is there for a reason and I try to respect that other people deserve to feel safe too.

Most X-ray machines these days are good enough that you can keep everything in your carry-on bag. I've been able to see the monitor screen a few times and the picture was so precise I could see the "Levemir" labels on my insulin pens.

-Never put medication in a checked bag. Bags get lost more often than you'd think.

-Frio wallets seem to get the most attention. If you can, keep the paperwork with it so they know what it's for.

-if you request a pat down, tell them exactly where your devices are located. I forgot to tell them once and got a painful security hand to my Dexcom.

-I've never been hassled, but just in case I keep everything in one bag/place so I don't have to fumble through everything in the event they need to get a better look.

-Again, if you do get hassled don't be a jerk about it. Security agents don't moonlight as Endocrinologists and they might not know what everything is for. Also, try to respect the other people in line who are trying to get to their flights on time. There's nothing worse than getting held up for 5 minutes because someone has to clean out their bag full of prohibited items.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

Reactions: 2 people

tinyfilosofer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I wasn't trying to save a bit of money. I am recently diagnosed, still learning about it, and nobody's told me about glucose pills. Doctors told me to keep juice with me and I found a website that says ribena would take up less space and please airport checks more than a bottle of juice.

tinyfilosofer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
This time I have to thank the Bangkok airport for making me drink my ribena to prove it is not an explosive. 30 mins later when I tested, almost hypo! Unaware! Thank goodness.

Reactions: 2 people