Coffee

annscullamus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Today I decided to experiment. I have thought for awhile that coffee spiked me, today I finished my Ristretto and my number was 12.1 having been 7.6 before, then I waited 15 mins and tested again and it was down to 8.1. I have read that coffee is meant to be good for type 2 in the long term, but today was a shock. I almost feel I can't give up coffee combined with giving up so much carbohydrate. Is this temporary spike dangerous ? Thank you in anticipation.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today I decided to experiment. I have thought for awhile that coffee spiked me, today I finished my Ristretto and my number was 12.1 having been 7.6 before, then I waited 15 mins and tested again and it was down to 8.1. I have read that coffee is meant to be good for type 2 in the long term, but today was a shock. I almost feel I can't give up coffee combined with giving up so much carbohydrate. Is this temporary spike dangerous ? Thank you in anticipation.

Ristretto thats just straight coffee is it not , nothing added ?

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
That's a puzzler as all my reading suggested modest coffee and caffeine helps with BG control. I wonder if it's the fact that you're drinking Ristretto, where the active ingredients are highly concentrated per given volume of water. Why not do a blind test for couple of days with say, espresso and then black Americano , compare your results and let us know.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I find ordinary black coffee doesn,t spike me but anything else does

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think we vary a heck of a lot in our reactions to coffee.

I find that I get a mild bump in blood pressure, and a spike of about 1mmol/l for about an hour - but I only take decaff, once a day (ish) and I take it 'cut' with double cream, which will slow things down and take the edge off.

Several things MAY be at play
- the caffeine (though 'they' say it won't)
- the decaffeinated method (there are chemicals, and there is water decaffeination - presumably, some chemicals will get a reaction. Maybe)
- the time of day
- stress levels
- other nastinesses that get into the beans (there is a school of thought that there are fungi that grow on the beans in the warehouses sometimes that leave toxins in the coffee, which cause reactions. See Mr Bulletproof Coffee for the lowdown on that, as he tries to sell you his wonderful beans...)
I certainly think I do better on single estate posh coffee beans, water decaffed, but is that my inner coffeesnobbishness, or is it real?

You asked if the spike was harmful? Really, that is hard to quantify, but it is FAR larger a spike than I would want after a full meal, and my body dislikes fast rises and falls more than it dislikes a longer, slower, sustained rise...

I suggest a period of exhaustive self testing, different brands, caff v decaff, black, milk, cream... that could keep me entertained for WEEKS! :)

Reactions: 2 people

numan43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
other nastinesses that get into the beans (there is a school of thought that there are fungi that grow on the beans in the warehouses sometimes that leave toxins in the coffee
jeeze Brunneria , you putting off my coffee here

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have experimimented and nothing definitive every day but if I do have it 1 st thing in the morning I do spike. It's probably in connection with adrenal cortisol timing. I do better a few hours after I eat and get moving. When the weather is warm I love iced coffee and it can last me a long time. So I make a cup of coffee, have a few sips in the morning and throw it in the fridge. Shower and on my way out its nice and cold so I pour it over ice and away I go. No spikes in the afternoon.

annscullamus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Interesting replies ! Yes Ristretto is very strong, but I do have it with cream ! I will experiment with Americano and maybe decaf. I am using nespresso pods so the dates could be long also. I don't spike that much after a good meal, so it worth investigating I think ! I will post back when I have some results. Fingers crossed.......coffee is one of my joys in life !

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nespresso pods are water decaffeinated, so that is one less thing to worry about. ;)

Enjoy your experimentation! :D

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Interesting replies ! Yes Ristretto is very strong, but I do have it with cream ! I will experiment with Americano and maybe decaf. I am using nespresso pods so the dates could be long also. I don't spike that much after a good meal, so it worth investigating I think ! I will post back when I have some results. Fingers crossed.......coffee is one of my joys in life !

I don't think it will be the long dates, as the capsules are flushed with nitrogen then sealed to keep the product fresh.....ah that's another question, I wonder what the nitrogen can do if anything?

annscullamus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Ok today had a usual Ristretto and milk and only 1 point rise immediately after drinking - well 15 mins ! Confused about yesterday but maybe it was other stuff......will test tm with an Americano .

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
So far so good:)

annscullamus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well I have been away, drunk quite a bit of very good coffee including Americano and espresso and have not had the spike again - I think I can only put my first spike down to other things, maybe I was more stressed than I realised, or I had forgotten some food I had eaten - or perhaps it was an anomaly with no explanation ! Thanks for all the suggestions and if it happens again I will get back to the forum, and folk who understand these things !

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Brilliant. It's wonderful when you feel "hahaaa. I know what's happening":)