'Only' on metformin!

Emg23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The lancets I use daily for checking blood sugar levels mysteriously disappeared from my repeat prescription. Walked to the gp surgery to request the lancets,receptionist said she would ask a gp. By the time I got home there was a telephone message asking me to ring the surgery. Did so straight away to be told that their system says "patient is only on metformin therefore lancets are not needed. If patient is worried make an appointment with a Dr or diabetic nurse." Explained on the phone that I check levels daily then I know what can and can't eat,now been told a gp will phone me tomorrow morning to discuss this. Is this happening to other people or have I been lucky having the lancets? At the moment I'm prescribed 2000mg metformin daily.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Yes you probably have been lucky. T2's do not normally get testing equipment unless they're insulin dependent.

NICE guidelines I believe, but plead your case with the doc - he might help you out. Good luck.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, here on the forum most type 2s (on metformin and/or diet) are in the same situation, and have to fund their own testing.

If you end up having to go this way too, look at the SD Codfree meter, as the strips (which are the major cost for self testing) are very much cheaper than most other brands.

Robbity

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Less a case if NICE guidelines and more a case of saving money I fear.. Yes you were lucky to get any. My surgery has never mentioned prescribing testing kit for me. Then again I don't really see eye to eye with them anyway...

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
I was diagnosed in Jan this year was given a metre and lancets I have put a repeat prescription in twice and have had a repeat for them up to now. This morning I am going for my 3 month Blood Test results and to see my doctor. Will have to see if my doctor will let me carry on with them or if he may stop them I do not know, will let you all know. :rolleyes:

Reactions: 2 people
C

chris lowe

In 5years I've only ever had 1 tub of strips & nurse was reluctant to give me those. If you're on Metformin you should be getting all your medication free (if not ask surgery for a form) I get my strips on eBay. I don't object to buying them as I think I get a decent deal on various meds. As some posters say it's economics of local health authority

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
You have been lucky. I would say 90 per cent of type2s buy their own

Emg23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Apparently because I was on a byetta pen twice a day and glicazide,was allowed the full testing kit but now my sugar levels are much better and just on metformin then no I can't have lancets or testing strips anymore. Gp says a three monthly blood test will highlight any problems.

Dr__Mesh

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
Doctor
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thankyou all for your comments,very helpful ☺

Hi there, let me correct what I said...

Only those on medications liekly to hypos get testing strips from doctors.

That actually doesn't mean to say that those people who are not on those medications shouldn't check their sugars, but they won't be provided by the doctor.

You may find it useful to check your sugars after foods, to understand the effect it has on your sugars. So this is leaning at the idea of the glycaemic load of foods - how much sugar is released from foods etc.

It may be worth looking into this more, and maybe even discussing this with a dietician :)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there, let me correct what I said...

Only those on medications liekly to hypos get testing strips from doctors.

That actually doesn't mean to say that those people who are not on those medications shouldn't check their sugars, but they won't be provided by the doctor.

You may find it useful to check your sugars after foods, to understand the effect it has on your sugars. So this is leaning at the idea of the glycaemic load of foods - how much sugar is released from foods etc.

It may be worth looking into this more, and maybe even discussing this with a dietician :)
I am not stalking you but what you have said isn't quite correct.
There seems to be no consistency about prescribing test strips.. some people get them even though they are not on medications that give the possibility of hypos others don't. There does not seem to be any rhyme or reason as to why. The NICE guidelines are also not clear which could explain the anomalies.

Pollyg3

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am not on medication but diabetic nurse gave me all of these on repeat maybe it's who you see or were you are

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

Dr__Mesh

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
Doctor
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I am not stalking you but what you have said isn't quite correct.
There seems to be no consistency about prescribing test strips.. some people get them even though they are not on medications that give the possibility of hypos others don't. There does not seem to be any rhyme or reason as to why. The NICE guidelines are also not clear which could explain the anomalies.

Hmm, interesting... will have to look into that one... thanks Mark

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Apparently because I was on a byetta pen twice a day and glicazide,was allowed the full testing kit but now my sugar levels are much better and just on metformin then no I can't have lancets or testing strips anymore. Gp says a three monthly blood test will highlight any problems.

So what the GP is saying then is you can have high bloods for 3 months without knowing thus starting the spiral into possible complications at a later date and then costing the NHS more money in the long run. Visit to an optician for chronic short sightedness is required by your GP.

Reactions: 2 people

Li4m79

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Its silly, you see what the health board will prescribe to the bottom feeders of the world but won't provide the tools for genuine people with undeniable genuine health problems to monitor their situation and also better understand their bodies. I was the same. After being on glipizide and having a hypo they gave me a testing kit. I'd purchased one a few days before so now I have two. Hopefully I will still be allowed testing strips on repeat though

Sent from my SM-G925F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Apparently the reason I get them was because I drove for a living, but when I mentioned I no longer worked she said I would probably not need them now, I did not pursue the subject and carried on ordering them along with my other meds with no probs, assuming (correctly) that the DN and Docs dont seem to talk to each other and the Docs do the prescribing....

I would really struggle if I had to buy them as even thow I am back working its very low hours (zero hours contract)......

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Apparently the reason I get them was because I drove for a living, but when I mentioned I no longer worked she said I would probably not need them now, I did not pursue the subject and carried on ordering them along with my other meds with no probs, assuming (correctly) that the DN and Docs dont seem to talk to each other and the Docs do the prescribing....

I would really struggle if I had to buy them as even thow I am back working its very low hours (zero hours contract)......

Apologies for the off-topic post, but very well done for getting back into work mfactor. I recall reading of some frustrations you had a while back.

It's good to recognise good news. :)

Reactions: 3 people

Cap'n M

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
EU27, CO2 Global Warming Scam, Theresa May, Comrade Boris Johnson.
"I get my strips on eBay. I don't object to buying them", but this probably puts you in the position of being an accessory to fraud [of the NHS]. What I can see of Ebay testing strip sales is that their source is likely to be dodgy!

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't see how anyone can be defrauding the NHS by buying their own strips Anyone trying to keep their BGs under control saves the NHS money because they don't end up with complications that need lots of money spent on them

CAROL