Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Taken from the BBC News website:

Shape not weight

Evidence shows that fat around the thighs and backside is harder to shift than fat around the waist.

Although this may sound undesirable, it is actually beneficial because when fat is broken down quickly it releases a lot of cytokines which trigger inflammation in the body, say experts.

These cytokines have been linked to cardiovascular disease, insulin resistance and diabetes.

The slower burning hip fat also makes more of the hormone adiponectin that protects the arteries and promotes better blood sugar control and fat burning.

In comparison, carrying excess fat around the stomach, being "apple shaped", raises the risk of diabetes and heart disease.

I suspect we have a few "healthy" people on this forum. :wink: :lol:

Here is the link to the full article: http://tinyurl.com/yaosrvd

chazelder

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm in big trouble then lol, I'm 28 stone and my wife says I dont have a bum lol

rut roh

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
LOL, me too.

Last year, before realising I was diabetic I had some unexplained weight loss. All from my bum and thighs and NONE from my middle aged spread. :oops:

banjo brunette

Ardbeg said:
LOL, me too.

Last year, before realising I was diabetic I had some unexplained weight loss. All from my bum and thighs and NONE from my middle aged spread. :oops:

Yep, I've been trying to lose weight on my nice low-carb diet and it's all come off my hips, bum and boobs and hasn't budged off my fat tummy where I've loads to spare. Isn't it a pain?? :? :( However, the "apple" shaped fat-tummied people are supposed to be candidates for diabetes anyway so you can't win....
Cheers, BB :D

cavelioness

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
yes I am apple shaped, have lost weight on bum and thighs but tum is being obstinate even lost weight in my feet

jumbleannie1VDJQ

Dislikes
Intolerance, airports, having to plan my meals
I lost it off my waist and belly, but it also went from my boobs too. Changed from 36 -33- 38 to a 34 30 36. Now looking for a good bra and some chicken fillets so I look ok in my wedding dress. :D