Injecting while at work.

Danaemac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People who think they know what you need before you do
I have a problem at work where by if I need to change my pump I need to go to the managers office to do it because one person who is no longer there complained, if I need to do this and there is a meeting in the office the boss will ask them all to leave I normally end up driving home in my half hour lunch break missing food to change it and I work in a helthcare environment !!!

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As already mentioned in this thread, ignorance.

Make a point of explaining your condition to the colleagues in question. Moreover, give them an insight into your daily life as a T1D, complications, concerns and sacrifices you may - or may not have - had to make.

After this enlightenment I'm sure they will change their terrible attitude.

Cheers,
Grant

viv k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The issue of injecting when away from home ( at work or eating out) reminds me of when I was breastfeeding. We shouldn't have to go somewhere unhygienic just because some people take offence. At the same time, whether it's injecting or feeding a baby, you can choose to do it discretely or make a big display of it. I only wear separates now ( no dresses) so I can untuck and pop a dose in.
It's the testing I find more difficult in public. I usually carry a medium sized handbag and use my meter inside the bag.

Bluemarine Josephine

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Josephine,
Why? Why do you remain silent? You are not doing anything wrong!! You do not to have to hide away. You only have to tell work colleagues once. If they don't like it, tell them not to look!!!!!! I am sure that if you explained then they would understand. Plus, it is best to let someone know just in case you have a hypo. You are brave but you need support too. I am 67, I have been diabetic for 40 years and never once has anyone, ever, said or been unpleasant to me in regards to my injecting. I inject at the dinner table, even when in a restaurant. Sod 'em. No one has ever complained. Although, I have one friend who has a needle phobia and I tell her to look the other way!!! She has been my friend for a long time and just laughs. Why would people be so interested in what you are doing anyway? Live your own life as you see fit. You don't have to stand on the table and inject in your bottom!! Love Heather x

Hello,
Thank you for your comment.
I love interacting with people. I love getting to know them and them to know me. I love communication.
I also love to protect my heart…

Let me tell you a story please. (Those who read my posts know that I tend to tell stories and be very open with the way I experience life with diabetes).

When “Hannibal” aired on Sky, I was amongst the first ones to watch it! (afterall, Mads Mikkelsen was a crush of mine since I was a teenager). Half way through, I realized that the program was so violent for my taste that I could not keep watching it… I was not in that place… My heart was not in it.

In any aspect in life, from choosing a TV program, a film, a book, a life partner, a friend or living with diabetes, in my view, the correct way to handle situations is only when you can protect your heart.

When it comes to diabetes, there are people with diabetes, like myself, who prefer to approach our condition with a discrete silence because we protect our heart in this way. Other people, with different temperament cannot keep silent and, instead, they verbalize how they feel. In this way, they protect their heart against other people.

I believe the only wrong way to protect our heart is if we push ourselves to react in a way that our character/temperament/way of life cannot support, or if we react on the basis of what others think is a correct reaction.
There is no wrong or right to this so long we are true and genuine as to how we really feel.

I wish to go through this life in a calm and serene manner. If, along the way, I can help some other people with diabetes, through my experience, then I will be very happy. But, I do not aspire to become a hero/martyr/activist for diabetes. I do not wish to educate anyone (non-diabetic) who comes along about the ins and outs of our condition, I do not have the patience nor the courage nor the time nor the strength for this. I admire the ones who do and who are so dedicated to spread our message. But, my heart is not in this place. This isn't how I want to live having to constantly "defend" myself (or occasionally "attack" to protect myself).

Therefore, when you ask me “why” the only reply that I can give you is because in my way I protect my heart. I hope this is a sufficient reply.

Regards
Josephine

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 7 people

johnbear2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
conservative polititicians
Hi,I work for a security company on behalf of tesco,and had problem same as yourself,unknown person complained to a manage I was injecting in locker room,so I started injections in staff canteen,and told bosses it is against the disability discrimination act to bully someone because they were diabetic,and do what would they rather I do,collapse or injections

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Reactions: 7 people

PD Oz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I Could do with your advice and oppinions please. Im a t1 diabetic and work full time. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem, I chose only once to inject myself in the staff room with my hubby there and one other member of staff. Later on me and my hubby was questioned and told not to inject myself in the staff area as someone had complained. I now feel that i have to hide while injecting. I have to go to the changing room. Has anyone else has this problem. And if so what is your answer to staff and bosses please? Thanks x
This is a matter which should be reported to your management. There are laws which prohibit discrimination based on a health attribute. It is up to the employer to set the complainant straight and provide a proper place and arrangement for you to inject. I am assuming you are in the UK. There would be an avenue to go to the Anti discrimination body to seek redress, but that should be a last resort as you ought try to work the problem amicably with your employer and avoid any bad will setting in.

Reactions: 3 people

RAPS_od

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm fairly open about my diabetes - even after having a counselor at school tell me I shouldn't be because people will think I brought it on myself (which is cray cray).
I used to try to go to the restroom to inject, but if you drop anything, it's all over. I've had bottles of insulin drop in the restroom and shatter on the floor.
I finally got to the place where I'd just inject at my desk into my stomach. Just pull up the shirt, bam, and it's over. No one ever complained because really, they never knew I was doing it.
Injecting shouldn't be a big deal. Those who have a problem with it should leave the room if they can, and if they can't, I'm sure there's other places to look, even if it's the back of their eyelid. As my childhood minister once told me, "If you're rubbing the cat the wrong way, let the cat turn around." You have as much right to take care of yourself as anyone else; taking a shot is like scratching an itch. If you can't do it, no one else should either.

Janetoby

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi I Could do with your advice and oppinions please. Im a t1 diabetic and work full time. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem, I chose only once to inject myself in the staff room with my hubby there and one other member of staff. Later on me and my hubby was questioned and told not to inject myself in the staff area as someone had complained. I now feel that i have to hide while injecting. I have to go to the changing room. Has anyone else has this problem. And if so what is your answer to staff and bosses please? Thanks x
I have had T1 Diabetes for over 40 years and have found that most other people are uncomfortable with watching people have injections. I have a staff member who faints at the sight of needles, so it is obviously not great to inject in front of him! I do my bloodtest at my desk, and my injection at my desk, and then go to the lunchroom. It is not really 'necessary' but it saves everyone else being uncomfortable. The desk top and computer screens sort of hide what I am actually doing, even though everyone knows. I have a friend who always injects through his clothing when out at a restaurant for the same reason.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm on MDI and I inject at work at my desk. I've not had any problems. If anyone ever said anything to me about it I'd probably ask them to stop breathing and see how they go without air. Seriously if they have a problem they're going out of their way to watch you inject as I inject discreetly anyhow in my lower stomach and it's under my desk height.

Reactions: 2 people

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had T1 for 30 years. These days pens make life so much easier, and the only place I inject now is wherever I happen to be. Yes, I'm discreet about it; if I'm at a meal table with other people who could see what I'm doing I simply say that I'm injecting, so look away if you don't like needles (I was married to a needle-phobe who in 30 years never once saw me inject!). I'm lucky enough never to have had anyone complain, and mostly people are fascinated by what you can and can't eat (a lot of myths out there to shatter!) and how diabetes is managed.

I understand what Josephone said about not wanting to have to educate others. There are times when the level of ignorance feels like a mountain to climb, and can I be bothered? But - in more recent years I've done a lot of work with people with various disabilities, and my level of ignorance, and lack of understanding, of their conditions was pretty large. So in nothing but the interest of learning more about each other, I'm willing to talk about diabetes and be open about my own T1. I think that's the way acceptance lies.

I also think that the OP's colleague handled this really badly. If you have a problem with sometone injecting, how much more human and kind to simply talk to the person? Ask them to warn you so you can look away. Cowardly and unpleasant in my book.

Irishoutlaw

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorant People.

I had this issue only last week. I was diagnosed out of the blue with type one Diabetes two years ago having no issues prior to this. I have been very up front with people and have not hidden my condition from day one. So last week I was sitting at my desk and minding my own business. I had just returned from lunch when my boss approached me and asked if he could have a word. In his defense he was quite embarrassed about this but he had advised me that a colleague had made a complaint that I was upsetting them when injecting due to their fear of needles. ( I have been afraid of needles all my life and it took some getting used to) I am always discrete and feel that having to go to a public rest room at work is not ideal or hygienic so I inject discreetly at my desk. Is this a problem in peoples opinions? I now try to be even more discrete injecting in my tummy when at my desk. I have been quite understanding due to not wanting to be disrespectful to colleagues however would like to know how others would handle it.

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had this issue only last week. I was diagnosed out of the blue with type one Diabetes two years ago having no issues prior to this. I have been very up front with people and have not hidden my condition from day one. So last week I was sitting at my desk and minding my own business. I had just returned from lunch when my boss approached me and asked if he could have a word. In his defense he was quite embarrassed about this but he had advised me that a colleague had made a complaint that I was upsetting them when injecting due to their fear of needles. ( I have been afraid of needles all my life and it took some getting used to) I am always discrete and feel that having to go to a public rest room at work is not ideal or hygienic so I inject discreetly at my desk. Is this a problem in peoples opinions? I now try to be even more discrete injecting in my tummy when at my desk. I have been quite understanding due to not wanting to be disrespectful to colleagues however would like to know how others would handle it.

The law says that your employer must provide a suitable place for you to inject. A lavatory is not a suitable place. When I was on MDI, I always injected in the same room as other people. I just turned my body so no one could see. If people object, next time I say, 'If you don't like needles, look away now.' The other point is that the needles are minute these days. People have to be very close or staring at you to even see it. It is worth taking your insulin pen and showing the needle to your boss or HR. They can quickly see how easily you could raise a case for workplace bullying or discrimination when they understand how hard it is to actually see the needle. Half the time people hear a report from your colleague and imagine some whapping great monster syringe out of a Carry On film.

Irishoutlaw

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorant People.
The law says that your employer must provide a suitable place for you to inject. A lavatory is not a suitable place. When I was on MDI, I always injected in the same room as other people. I just turned my body so no one could see. If people object, next time I say, 'If you don't like needles, look away now.' The other point is that the needles are minute these days. People have to be very close or staring at you to even see it. It is worth taking your insulin pen and showing the needle to your boss or HR. They can quickly see how easily you could raise a case for workplace bullying or discrimination when they understand how hard it is to actually see the needle. Half the time people hear a report from your colleague and imagine some whapping great monster syringe out of a Carry On film.

To be fair like I said my boss was very apologetic about the whole thing. It was said to him and as such he just advised me of what was said. I felt that it was a stupid complaint however I can appreciate that he was stuck between a rock and a hard place. He even stated that if it was said again he would put the person in place. Just cant believe people are so backwards in this day and age. Hopefully I will be moving to a pump in the next 8 weeks or so.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Certainly in England and Wales a type 1 diabetic is disabled for the purpose of the Equality Act 2010 & employers have to make reasonable adjustments to accommodate you - letting you inject at your desk could not be more reasonable (& isn't even really an adjustment, it's just letting you get on with it), letting you use a suitable available room to inject, very reasonable. Building you a new room to inject in, probably a bit above and beyond. I'm not sure what exactly applies in Ireland at the moment, but I would imagine the disability protections are pretty similar.

Ive gotta be honest, I've got limited sympathy for the colleague with a needle phobia - they have the luxury of averting their gaze from your lap area (not sure why they are staring at your lap) while you are using a 4mm needle for 30 seconds. If you don't inject, you die (sounds over dramatic, but you're not doing it for fun) & I bet it's not your favourite part of your day.

If your boss really did seem embarrassed and supportive - that's great. I would consider asking if you can put up some information on type 1, what it is, what causes it, why you need to do your injections. It is ignorance that is making your colleague think that their discomfort is more important than your health. They are wrong & ignorance can be cured. :)

I hope you won't feel like you have to inject in the loos because of this.

Edit: geographical idiocy - feel free to cure my ignorance also...

Last edited by a moderator:

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
To be fair like I said my boss was very apologetic about the whole thing. It was said to him and as such he just advised me of what was said. I felt that it was a stupid complaint however I can appreciate that he was stuck between a rock and a hard place. He even stated that if it was said again he would put the person in place. Just cant believe people are so backwards in this day and age. Hopefully I will be moving to a pump in the next 8 weeks or so.

Yes, he sounds fine. But he probably knows all that stuff about the law. I personally don't want to have to truck off to 'sick bay' every time I need to take a jab or blood test so I never push it too far. I think with this colleague, you can just say, 'Look away.' Then if they don't, they prove themselves to have the temper and maturity of a tantrum-stricken two-year-old. Except that kids absolutely LOVE watching you give yourself a jab!

Reactions: 5 people

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Having injected in schools, university and various workplaces, I found that 9/10 times no one notices you doing anything. The above advice is great though!! However, I feel that you do not need to change your behaviour because someone else does not like the fact that you have to do injections to stay alive. What a luxury to be offended by that! Mention to your boss how ridiculous this is, you are going about your day-to-day life, in the same way as someone putting a plaster on a cut (ooooh blood), having a cigarette, and eating food others don't like causes people external to you inconvenience, but not something that warrants a complaint.

RAPS_od

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You might want to read this article: Bullying

TJR56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello
In my view, the correct way to handle such people or situations depends on the type of person you are and what behavior/reaction of yours makes you feel more comfortable.

Please let me explain what I mean. There are people with diabetes (some of them in this forum) who are very open regarding our condition. They are also very bold and can stand up for what is happening to them and how they handle our condition. They are not afraid to explain themselves in public and even pick up fights to support our diabetes.

I like them, I really do and I admire them for having the patience and the stamina and the strength to be alert and ready to defend themselves at all times.

And, there are people like myself… I can feel hurt by others as my diabetes is still a raw spot for me. I have heard so many clumsy and unpleasant (borderline rude) comments regarding my condition and… I do not argue or defend myself. Instead, I cry silently at the office’s restroom… in the car when driving home… in my bathroom while taking off my make up… in the shower… before I go to sleep.

So, for me, it is easier to keep my diabetes silent and private… just like I keep everything else in my life silent and private.
I cry silently. I suffer silently. I worry silently. I struggle silently.
And, I inject silently.

When in the office I either inject in the ladies room or I do a free carbs meal to avoid the injection.

I know that injecting in the restroom is unhygienic but, I feel that if anyone complains that injecting in public is unpleasant/uncomfortable to watch then, I would perceive this as a direct insult about myself. As if my diabetes has made me an unpleasant person that brings discomfort to others.

My aim in life is to simplify, as much as I can; Simplify my diabetes, simplify my relations with others, simplify the way I live each day so that I can end each day with comfort in my soul. So, I can’t pick up a fight… In between all the things in my life that I have to be brave for, I can’t be brave for this too… having to explain myself and my condition to any idiot who comes along…

Doing things silently and privately is an easier way for me to cope with my own reality. It helps me keep my sanity. It doesn’t make me feel embarrassed (for something that we should not be embarrassed in the first place) and it doesn’t give people food for gossip (because people LOVE to gossip).

Therefore, I think, the only wrong way to handle such a situation is the way that makes you feel uncomfortable with yourself.
Regards
Josephine.
Hi and yes, I see where this comes from. I inject in my tummy, through my clothes, so discreetly, as under a table. Even if it's more visible, I carry on with a conversation and show by body language etc. that this is no big deal. I have never been challenged in the work-place. If I were, or if someone says, as they sometimes do, 'Ooh, I couldn't do that,' I simply say, if it means you die otherwise, you do it. As to injecting through clothes, I don't get any infections, but if you really feel the need to strip, swab etc, by all means take yourself to somewhere private or be prepared to be an object of curiosity. I think my way allows people to learn a little and it is very rarely a discussion point, just accepted.

GVA2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have had T1D for >30yrs.
I inject at work, in the airport, at restaurants and anywhere else I need to.
I refuse to go to some sequestered corner, or worse still, a toilet cubicle to inject.
The injection is over in a matter of seconds. Its discrete. Anyone offended by it can close their eyes, look away or whistle Dixie for all I care.
Very rarely has anyone complained to me. I can only recall one occasion when someone complained directly to me.
My response was: "I'm sorry my life threatening condition causes you distress. Just imagine how I must feel."
He skulked away, hopefully with a little more insight, maybe not. Either way, we have enough to contend with without having to deal with some antiquated attitude. Don't give in to intolerance and ignorance.
Indirect or cowardly complaints or approaches to others about my injecting are treated as gossip or hearsay. I do not acknowledge or respond to them until the complaint is made directly to me. The issue seems to disappear as no-one follows up with a face to face discussion. In reality, I have not encountered any problems for many years.

Reactions: 3 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

My family consisted, and still does, of nurses, but I could never follow in their foot steps, I haven't the stomach for blood, needles and seeing people in pain. So when I was diagnosed my mum did say 'oh why did it have to be you'I still have to turn away and hum a little tune in my head, or look at the posters on walls when I have blood test.
I do think, by reading some of the posts, whether these people who say they have 'phobia's' are really phobic or just like many who don't like the thought of injecting or seeing someone inject. I have said in another post, the pens, are just that, a pen, with a tiny little needle at the end. It may make some people screw their eyes up at first, but in time, it is just daily life and get they used to it, we do and need Insulin to keep us alive. So, is it a real phobia in many cases, probably not. Sometimes I think it would be a good idea for the non diabetics to leave the room or office if they don't like us injecting, then we wouldn't be causing them so much anguish, just a thought ;):rolleyes: ?

Reactions: 4 people