Stress/anxiety and blood sugar level

Richard F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know stress raises my blood sugar levels, making decent control very difficult. Sometimes when stressed I can take buckets of insulin before I can get it down! I'm 57 and been T1 since I was 20.

But could high blood sugar cause anxiety? The last few mornings I've woken up feeling anxious with high blood sugar, wondering if it's a chicken or egg situation? I can be susceptible to stress, usually I can attribute it to something, it's only once been so bad for a prolonged period that I've needed medication. But then I understood the cause.

Over the last few yrs I've made a conscious effort to rid myself of stress, mostly successful. I currently have nothing I'm concerned about (lucky I know) and nothing I can attach my anxious feelings to. What gives?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Morning Richard, yes from my experience the two go hand in hand, think of a f1 car running on diesel, that's what the glucose is doing to your body, I also approached this with a doctor who agreed, so it really is a case of working on it to try and get in range.

In terms of anxiety it can be a vicious circle so finding methods to chill out will help, we are all different but I found medititation great, you can get one off you tube, look up mindfulness meditation, go for a walk in a green space, deep breathing exercises, do your favourite hobby, talk to others.

Whilst running high drink lots of water to help flush out the excess glucose.

Can you check your background with some fasting tests to see if it's delivering the right amount ? It's the foundation for good control so getting your levels right may help a lot ;)

Richard F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks. My Background is pretty good I think (usually) dropping 1 or 2 points over night.

Dog walking is my stress buster, I'll go out for a couple of hours after breakfast.

Reactions: 2 people