Could it be diabetes?

oliverlexie

Hi there,
I know the obvious answer is to wait for the results but could anyone maybe help?

I have a 7 year old daughter who has been drinking and peeing enormous amounts of fluids. We live in France and only really noticed when being in the car on our Xmas holiday back to the UK.

She has had headaches , no pain when peeing but when she needs to go she really needs to go and quick. Last night she got up 4 times in the night to go to the loo.
She also has said she feels a little giddy when she gets up occassionally. Her appetite can be sparrow like for days and then she eats like a horse.

She is very pale , (normally olive skinned) red eyes and tired alot. She really has no appetite for anything sweet.She is very very slim - Her BMI is 14 although she is tall.

She has been like this for maybe 6 weeks -

We took her to the doctor on Mon who took a urine sample which was sent away. This was to rule out a urine infection - although they did start her on some antibiotics to be safe. This has come back today negative so she will go in tomorrow for a blood test which we will wait on........... another long weekend of worry.

I did ask if the Doc could do a litmus test while we were there but they said that there could be other reasons for glucose in the wee? which is why it is sent off to the lab.

Completely new to Diabetes - Don't know anyone with it and know nothing myself ( Other than this forum).
Are there any questions you would recommend I ask tomorrow - Does it sound like Type 1 diabetes?

Kind regards
Julie

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya julie,
she does have the symptoms , id be quite vigil as in uk she would have been tested instantly and hospitalised if diagnosed as type 1, in the meantime plz keep a close eye on her for ketoacidosis as this is very dangerous, if shes any poorlier, sickness or pear drop smell to her breath then dont hesitate to seek hospital help,
im not trying to frighten you and she may not be diabetic but the standard of care seems slow to me, do u have access to a blood glucose monitor?
we can buy them cheaply in the uk??
let us know how u get on

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Hi Julie,
i agree with Totsy, if the French health care system is so slow, perhaps a chemist could help, by directing you to a blood glucose monitor, where you can test her blood sugar levels via a finger prick, or Ketosticks which would test her urine. Failing that i would take her to A&E, as children if diabetic can go down hill very quickly.
Take care and let us know how you get on, if shes diagnosed as diabetic, please come back to the forum for hugs and support.
Suzi x

Shazza

Hi I had the exact same treatment and we,re in UK after getting the urine sample back we were told to see the nurse for bloods a week later! he got blood taken on the thurs morning and was in hospital that night after the lab saw the results, hopefully if your daughter is diabetic you will find out quickly. If it is going to take a while for results youre better going to a&e.

Take Care x

oliverlexie

HI ,
Thanks for all your replies , I am sure to need all your help and support as our beautiful daughter has now been diagnosed.
I haven' t replied as we took her to the hospital Urgences as she fell over / lost balance on top of all the other signs and I think we just had all our alarm bells ringing.
She was seen instantly and one small glucose/blood test showed she was HI and they took over immediatley.
That was 10 days ago - the hospital has been fantastic and her levels are nearly there. We have had the luxury of having her home for 5 hours to see how we fare but back in tonight and then hopefully home mid week.
Luckily my french is good enough to understand every thing and I have been lucky enough to be with her 24/7 but can anyone recommend some litriture that goes through everything step by step - I have one in french but her Dad doesn't speak french.
I guess its kind of an instruction manual for a diabetic child ?

I don't think I have had a chance yet to stop and take it all in - I tend to get upset when someone who doesn't know me shows sympathy . I guess having the luxury of staying with her in hospital has shown me to be positive because there are much worser illnesses that could be inflicted on a small child and that her illness can be managed.

Anyway - off to enjoy a bit of family time before we toddle back for our insuline at 7!!
Julie

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Hi Julie,
sending lots of ((hugs)) i'm so glad youv'e come back to the forum, and i'm sorry your daughter has now joined our children as being diabetic, but like you say it could have been a whole lot worse. Off hand i can't think of any books, but someone will surely come along with some titles of literature for you, I had a few glasses of wine last night, never again, today my brain is so fuzzy!!!
There are plenty of parents here to lend support and answer questions, it does get easier, Andrew was 7yrs old when he was diagnosed, he's now 11 and its 4yrs since diagnosis on 2/2.
Take care,
Suzi x

diabetesmum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi

A book that I've found very useful is 'Type 1 Diabetes in Children, Adolescents and Young Adults' by Dr Ragnar Hanas. ISBN 1-85959-078-0. I have the 2nd edition which has a yellow cover, but I think it has been updated and republished since. It is easy to read, practical and very informative.

Things will get easier in time, you are all on a steep learning curve for a while! I am so glad that your daughter was diagnosed before she became very seriously ill and that you are having good care in the hospital.
Best wishes
Sue

Shazza

Hi

That book is available on Amazon I ordered it last week.

It does take a while for everything to sink in, but it does get easier and you,ll always find help on here.

take care x