Stevia_queen

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
O
Umm I got it from
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_sugar
It says normal levels for healthy normal people non diabetic etc is 3.9 to 5.5
And im pretty hungry most of the time lol so dont think its been easy getting it down to this level from a place of eating mostly healthy but still alot of wholemeal carbs eg. Bread cakes biscuits pasta lots of rice etc etc. Cut ALL of that out 2 months ago. Only eat veg meat fish and cheese.
I have started to re introduce a low carb amount like 1 slice of bread with eggs for breakfast. 5 or 6 small Crackers with my cheese for lunch or dinner. Which could explain why my weight has plateued. After losing 13 kilos the first month.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: 2 people

Stevia_queen

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Why try to achieve 4 when that is low?
Meters have up to a 20% error so 4 could be much lower...
Eas talking to a friend who was tested for blood sugars and he was 3.5 to 4 on ave. He drinks beer which I haveheard hops in ales can bring down bs but I dont want to risk it lol . I drink gin and tonic whem im out only. Gone is coke and juices ...wipes a tear...

Stevia_queen

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a strong believer than we each have our own baseline blood glucose level. Mine won't be the same as yours, and yours won't be the same as your non-diabetic friend. Comparisons are pretty fruitless really. If your baseline level happens to be in the 5s that is where it is and probably always will be. Mine definitely is. I do see high 4s before evening meal most days, and very occasionally before lunch, but never at any other time. My body likes me somewhere in the 5s fasting and before meals so I am happy with that. I don't aspire to be any lower. What I do aim for is to keep the variances as low as possible, no matter where I start.

As for beer, it is known as liquid bread unless you find a very low carb one. It can spike you high and then drop you very low. That variance between the very high spike and the drop is what can cause complications in the long term. Also the high spike and the following low may well average out to what is considered a good level and therefore won't necessarily show in any HbA1c test.. Not worth the risk on a regular basis. Stick to your gin and sugar-free tonic.

You say you are always hungry? Maybe you need more fat as that is what keeps hunger at bay.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I realised the 4.5 was a typo but read above re a non diabetic friend with supposedly normal blood sugar tests of 3.5 to 4 . Maybe im reaching too high/low... will I ever becable to eat carbs again is what I want to know!!

Yes, that is an unrealistic (and arguably unhealthy) expectation. Furthermore, it's not wise to base your goals off a single person's (anecdotal) blood sugar readings. That's applying an emotional approach to something strictly scientific.

There's nothing scientifically beneficial about having blood sugar levels in the mid-high 3's. In fact, many would say that borders on hypoglycemia.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Totally agree.....with everything stated by bluetit1802. Not a T2 or PD but if I was i would just be trying to find foods to eat that lept me under 6.0 at all times. I try to do that as a T1...

Stevia_queen

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Yes I agree a bit low to have reads of 3.5 to 4 on a regular basis. My ave is now 5.2% reads between mainly 4.8 fasting and 5.8 after meals. Seems to be level8ng out for paat 2 weeks. I eat lchf but do have small amounts of carbs cheeses with crackers, ryvita, rice once a week. Had 2 two drink nights this week which is v unusual but spring is picking up the social. Had 2 glasses of gin and slimline tonic both eves. I do spike straight after a carb meal like porridge. But it levels out to 5.6 ish 2 hrs post prandial. Ideally id like to bring it down fir long enough that when I do introduce carbs like pasta and rice into a meal I dont spike above 7ish 2hrs post meal. Is that unrealistic? I do feel like this hight fat low carb is not emotionally sustainable ecen though ive been on it for 2 months now. I just want a balanced meal everyday that includes carbs I love with no high spikes. I miss carbs so much still!! Is that unrealistic for a pre diabetic? I mean im not diabetic yet. Ive also been wondering how to find out what my pancreas and liver is doing when I eat eg insulin levels, Ketosis.. do I need to know this?

Stevia_queen

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I am a strong believer than we each have our own baseline blood glucose level. Mine won't be the same as yours, and yours won't be the same as your non-diabetic friend. Comparisons are pretty fruitless really. If your baseline level happens to be in the 5s that is where it is and probably always will be. Mine definitely is. I do see high 4s before evening meal most days, and very occasionally before lunch, but never at any other time. My body likes me somewhere in the 5s fasting and before meals so I am happy with that. I don't aspire to be any lower. What I do aim for is to keep the variances as low as possible, no matter where I start.

As for beer, it is known as liquid bread unless you find a very low carb one. It can spike you high and then drop you very low. That variance between the very high spike and the drop is what can cause complications in the long term. Also the high spike and the following low may well average out to what is considered a good level and therefore won't necessarily show in any HbA1c test.. Not worth the risk on a regular basis. Stick to your gin and sugar-free tonic.

You say you are always hungry? Maybe you need more fat as that is what keeps hunger at bay.
Fat is the only thing keeping me going! That and almonds eggs and olives. Lol and yeah i hate beer anyway. Those are good consistent reads. I too have got my reads down around the 5s 4.8 fasting 5ish before meals and 5.8 -6.4 post meals. But id like some pasta pizza chocolate cake and custard! Hmmph

Emma_Santiago

work on eating balanced meals with moderate amounts of complex carbs and plenty of protein, veggies, so on. Obviously, don't try to reduce your calories or lose weight. And, yes, fruit can raise your blood glucose level as it, like almost all foods, contains carbs. That doesn't mean you can't have them, but it does mean that moderation is important.

fobbletops

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am a struggling pre diabetic, overweight and find exercise difficult. no motivation and it hurts. haha hmmm
told i was HAc1 6.4mmol 3 months ago
3 weeks ago i got a accu check monitor which has been a revelation.
I'm monitoring blood sugars 5 times a day
I don't eat any sugars and no refine foods at all
I have my carbs down to 20 - max 100grms a day
I'm at estimated HAc1 5.3mmol but i keep peaking and i am struggling a lot on the 3rd week managing and monitoring my blood sugar and the low carb diet.
I slipped and had a pizza, a piece of cake and a chocolate bar this weekend (over the 2 days, I'm gutted)
my estimate is still at 5.3mmol but its peaking and telling me hey your sugars are too varied.

Im trying to find the balance i had last week.
I've seen posts on here of people on 25gr carbs a day!! i find 50grms hard!! how do they do it??
just boiled eggs fish and long green beans?
I dont want to eat too much meat and diary but I'm turning to it just to get by.

since the weekend my mood has suffered and my energy has dipped considerably and my fasting glucose went from 5mmol last week to 6.4mmol this morning

I'm going to New york next week and I'm really worried i can't keep it up when I'm out there
arrgg
Try adding in a couple of fasts. I fast from 7pm at night to sometimes 12 md next day. Others it may be to 1000am. It is supposed to reset your insulin resistance. anyway I have found that it has normalised my blood sugars. I am also on a low carb diet.

Stevia_queen

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Try adding in a couple of fasts. I fast from 7pm at night to sometimes 12 md next day. Others it may be to 1000am. It is supposed to reset your insulin resistance. anyway I have found that it has normalised my blood sugars. I am also on a low carb diet.
Hi yes thanks
Im on low carb high fat too
concerned about my cholesterol levels though as they were 6.5 in january
with hac1 6.4
I am now eating more oily fish In the hope ofIincreasingy good cholesterol to offset the bad
also drinling rosehip tea to see if that helps lower cholesterol.

Stevia_queen

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
According to my app im now hac1 5.2

dont know about cholesterol until I get a blood test at gp next month.

Cravings seem to get easier the less carbs and sugar I have. Which is gutting cos I love it so much. I eat only nuts meat chicken fish greens dairies and berries. Nothing else apart from a teaspoon of erythmitol in my coffee in the morning.

I have an appointment at the diabetes clinic on the 9th june.

Stevia_queen

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I am really really ****** off at these money making fuckers in pharma and how they profit from our misery.
I was given an accue check compaxt plus by my aunt whos husband died and had diabetes. It csme with lots of test strips.
I teuly truly would not hsbe been able 5o get these good results without monitoring my nlood glucose 5vt5vtmes a day to see exactly wheee I waa going wrong snd what the pstterns were.
I have run out of stirps!!! Gutteeeeddd!!!
£22 for 50 test strips!!!???
it robbery!
They are on the nasdaq now because of us.
why habe gps stopped giving outvtest strips ever since they were given control of thier budgets?? Its not fair.
Im not diabetic so wouldnt qualify for it with gp anyway.
I tjink pre diabetes people should be given monitors and prescriptions so we can stop it in its tracks. I truly think hsbing strips on prescription is essential@ how can we afford all this rxexpense! ?
Rant not over.
over and out