Diabetes is not the end of the world... its...

Marz Barr

whitemare said:
Diabetes is the end of reading other cook's recipes.......

And the beginning of starting my own. Yum. :D
well whitemare that,s no problem for me as i absolutely detest cooking that,s what I.v got a husband for :lol: :lol: :lol:

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Marz Barr said:
whitemare said:
Diabetes is the end of reading other cook's recipes.......

And the beginning of starting my own. Yum. :D
well whitemare that,s no problem for me as i absolutely detest cooking that,s what I.v got a husband for :lol: :lol: :lol:

As a husband, it would be nice to have a wife who understood the finer points of cooking, like turning the gas down under the pans, once they come to the boil, or the use of stock, herbs, tomato puree & other flavour enhancers...

Boiled everything is not appreciated this side of the dining table :(

I had to take over the cooking in self defence :roll: If I could take time off from cooking, I would contribute to the "recipe" thread.

But to return to the thread topic:

Diabetes is not the end of the world... its... the beginning of healthy eating.

Marz Barr

Well Ian in are home my hubby cooks and i go out to work and we live in the age of eqalaty it,s nice to hear of other men that can cook. My other half says that i dn,t know where the litchen is my reply to that is what,s a kitchen? :wink:

whitemare

Type of diabetes
LADA
My thought is than whenever a barbeque is mentioned, men don aprons.
Perhaps we can convert our kitchens to barbeque rooms and get the men to cook more often?

Just joking. My other half cooks a mean steak.

There are no calories in herbs and spices. Bring on the ginger and chillies. Don't forget the garlic.

lionrampant

There ARE sugar free jelly babies, and cola bottles, and gummi bears. Check out ebay. I've never tried them, but if one of you does (and survives) well, I might be sold on the idea... :wink:

Sweet3x

Mr Simms Olde Sweets Shoppe
12, St. Marys Gate, Stafford, Staffordshire ST16 2AS
Tel: 01785 244122

Has a whole wall full of sugar free sweets - ***** sweets, hard sweets, chewy sweets. Jelly babies, cola bottles, liquorice, cough sweets. You name it, they have it. It's like the old fashioned sweet shops, too, selling by the oz and using those lovely little brown paper bags (or if you stock up once every few months like me, huge plastic tubs ;))

millie

I hate having diabetes but it is not the end of the world.
My mom had just being shopping when i was diognosed and she had bought loads of nice chocolate and i am not aloud to have it :evil:

millie

I am carb counting but i was only diognosed last week, so my blud sugars keep going up and down. thanks for the advice.
I am being nosey now but does aanybody in your family have diabetes because i am the only person in my family to have it?
When i was in hospital i got told i was aloud chocolate but i just was not aloud as much as normall.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
A square a day shouldn't cause trouble, especially if you eat it after exercise. I've heard of people taking choc with them when they walk the dog.

Don't try so-called diabetic chocolate (or sugar-free sweets) as they used to be called "Ex-lax" & are effective as laxatives. My daughter-in-law very kindly makes up what she believes is a diabetic-friendly pack of goodies each Christmas. It takes a long time to eat some of the items :)

jeenie1940

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
your making me feel theres hope after all, :eek: i too love sweets and chocolate, had hardly any since dx :(
Sweet3x said:
Mr Simms Olde Sweets Shoppe
12, St. Marys Gate, Stafford, Staffordshire ST16 2AS
Tel: 01785 244122

Has a whole wall full of sugar free sweets - ***** sweets, hard sweets, chewy sweets. Jelly babies, cola bottles, liquorice, cough sweets. You name it, they have it. It's like the old fashioned sweet shops, too, selling by the oz and using those lovely little brown paper bags (or if you stock up once every few months like me, huge plastic tubs ;))

stabatha

millie said:
I am being nosey now but does aanybody in your family have diabetes because i am the only person in my family to have it?
Yes millie my mum has type 1 too. She was diagnosed in her mid 30s as was I. I had to have an antibody test as I was told I was a bit old to get type 1, but type 1 I have. My brother and sister seem to have avoided it though so far thank goodness. Just hope it stays that way

rottweilsteve

Dislikes
incorrect punctuation (see above), Otherwise dishonesty, discrimination, prejudicial behaviour. and general nastiness.
millie said:
I am being nosey now but does anybody in your family have diabetes because i am the only person in my family to have it?
[\quote]

My younger brother has type 1, but we reckon that he had a stomach ulcer and had to have about half his stomach removed - just the sort of trauma that makes your pancreas give up in despair...

I believe that my type 2 is a result of years of taking anti-HIV drugs. Frankly, I'd rather be alive with diabetes than dead for the lack of the the drugs that caused my diabetes, so on balance, I'm not complaining. Better diabetic than dead...

There's no history whatsoever i our family that either my brother and I have been able to find out about, which adds to my idea that my brother's diabetes came from massive stomach trauma and mine from antiretroviral drug use, especially given that there is absolutely no previous family history. Which is pretty irrelevant really as we're both gay :wink: and hardly likely to pass it on to our offspring!

Steve

MalcToy

I've been diagnosed Type 2 for less than one week and guess what ? I adore chocolate and sweets !!!! It is the end of the world as it seems everything I like to eat is now off limits or only occasionly as a treat.

I do like liquorice allsorts or even plain liquorice - you can get bags of liquorice pieces from Morrisons - 3 bags for £2.00 !!! BUT,
no doubt they contain too much sugar and therefore are a no, no. :( ???

I have found Cheddars and Camembert cheese are fine :D unless of course someone tells me otherwise ! There should be a long, long list of products alphabetic list of products with traffic light colours red, amber green, and then it would be easy but thats too much to hope for I suppose for a 'newy Type 2 like me.

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Its not the end of the world its the end of one way of living and the begining of another. I do like the odd treat of the chocolate variety but try to remind myself that something that has a negative impact on me can't really be a treat. A treat is feeling well and energetic and in control. Sometimes still slip off the wagon but we are only human after all

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App