Low carbs and type II diabetes

Muffmitz

I am quite appalled by the sheer incompetence of the NHS and their staff when it comes to diabetes. The help I have received was utter nonsense and after I 'failed' the gluocse tolerance test it took 8 months to persuade my GP to let me have Metformin. I should have reported him to the GMC.

I found this recent statement which may be worth a read - certainly I have discovered that low carbs could be the only way forward. Sadly people don't find it easy to undertake such a dramatic change in their life style and the NHS should be dealing with this - but they're not.

More Evidence: Low-carb Diet Can Improve Diabetes Control and Reduce Meds. A low-carbohydrate, ketogenic diet improves glycemic control in obese type 2 diabetics, which allows some patients to reduce or eliminate their medication, according to results of a new study.

In fact, the diet allows some patients to reduce or eliminate their medication, according to the report in the medical journal Nutrition and Metabolism.

Carbohydrate restriction is at the heart of a diabetic diet. A very low carb diet causes the body to use protein to provide energy, which produces ketones, and it is therefore called a ketogenic diet.

Another dietary approach is to use foods with a low glycemic index, ie, that don't cause a rapid rise in blood sugar, and to cut back on calories.

Dr. Eric C. Westman, of Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina, and colleagues compared the effectiveness of the two diets in 84 obese patients with type 2 diabetes. They were assigned to a low carbohydrate (less than 20 grams per day) ketogenic diet or to low-glycemic reduced-calorie diet for 24-weeks. Those on the low-carb ketogenic diet had no restrictions on their daily calorie intake.

Patients in the low-carbohydrate, ketogenic diet had greater improvements in hemoglobin A1c than those in the low-glycemic, reduced-calorie diet group (-1.5% versus 0.5%, p = 0.03).

Those in the low-carb ketogenic diet group also lost more weight and had an increase in "good" HDL cholesterol compared with those in the other diet group.

Those in the low-carb, ketogenic diet group also had greater reductions in body weight (-11.1 kg versus -6.9 kg, p = 0.008), and high density lipoprotein cholesterol (+5.6 mg/dL versus 0 mg/dL, p < 0.001) compared with those in the low-glycemic, reduced-calorie diet group.

"In terms of renal function, serum creatinine and calculated glomerular filtration rate did not change significantly over the 24 weeks for either group," Dr. Westman and colleagues report. "There was a greater reduction in 24-hour urine protein for the low-carbohydrate, ketogenic diet group compared with the low-glycemic, reduced-calorie diet group."

An elimination or reduction in diabetes medication was possible for 95.2% of low-carbohydrate, ketogenic diet patients and 62.1% of low-glycemic, reduced-calorie diet patients (p < 0.01).

"Lifestyle modification using low carbohydrate interventions is effective for improving and reversing type 2 diabetes," the researchers conclude.

coreservers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
is this suggesting a similar diet plan to the Atkins? Which is well known as dangerous as it has a massive fat and cholestorol intake.
I did it a couple of years before being diagnosed, and there is no doubt that weight falls off, but as soon as you modify to a "normal" way of eating the weight slowly goes back on.

I am trying eating plans as i really need to loose weight, but not sure about this method, will it not lead to many more hypos, and what is the recourse if you do have one? as eating any carb or sugar will stop the ketones, and effectively blow teh diet

Muffmitz

Synonym - It was emailed to me by my brother in law who is type 1 and lives in Washington DC. It would seem to have come from the Medical Journal of Nutrition and Metabolism! I hope this helps. My dear lady is a medical doctor and I am going to be more srict with my carbs. It seems to be the only way to control my BG.

Muffmitz

Coreservers - I think a low carb diet is OK. If you are taking metformin you should not get hypos providing you are not taking other drugs. Weight loss is essential. Fat free diets are a no-no because the vitamins A,D,E and K are fat soluble and you cannot assimilate them if you don't get some fat in your diet. I would recommend sticking to low carbs. I gather there is something called Acarbose which will slow the impact of carbs if you must have them. You could try discussing this with your GP but I don't give you much hope.

shirleymarye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Sport !
I have been on Acarbose for some time now along with Gliclazide and Metformin, I never noticed any difference to my blood sugar until I stopped eating bread and flour based products. I am losing about a pound a week in weight now(which I need to do) and have cut down on the Acarbose and metformin.

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Thank you for that Muffmitz. I think you are on the right track with cutting the carbs - it is working for me and many others. :D

scart57

I have been introduced to the Glycaemic Load diet. I try to keep to a small amount of carbs. Low fat usually means high sugar so I don't eat anything low fat. Not that I eat high fat though. I have been on Byetta for 4 weeks now and I have not given any insulin, apart from the night time, as my BM's are great. My portion size has decreased dramatically so I'm hoping to lose some weight....which I really need to do!!

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
I agree that many ready meals etc marked low fat can indeed contain more carbs than other similar products but that is why you read the labels. I steer clear of anything marked ' healthy eating' or weight watchers !! :D
This is why it is far better to cook from fresh so that you know exactly what is in your food and can control all of the content.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
coreservers said:
is this suggesting a similar diet plan to the Atkins? Which is well known as dangerous as it has a massive fat and cholestorol intake.

I did it a couple of years before being diagnosed, and there is no doubt that weight falls off, but as soon as you modify to a "normal" way of eating the weight slowly goes back on.

:shock:

There is so much wrong with that statement that I don't know where to start.

Muffmitz

Coreservers - I'm afraid as a type II diabetic you can never return to a 'normal' diet. It isn't that big a punishment! You just have to be bloody minded and persist. Any diabetic not controlling their blood glucose levels is risking strokes, heart attacks, impotence and amputations. If that frightens you then it may make it easier for you to be on a low carb diet. The alternatives are not much fun.

Most type II diabetics are addicted to carbs and that is the big problem. Just a few carbs puts you at the thin end of the wedge and your blood sugar goes shooting up. Stick to proteins and veg (and veg are actually slow carbs) and do not eat bread, potatoes or biscuits. On the low carb diet you will feel replete for longer and not crave snacks which are both high carb and very addictive.

Keep trying!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Coreservers
there isn't actually any proof that the Atkins diet is dangerous. You can bet that if anyone could prove it harmful, an army of litigious Americans would have sued Atkins out of existance. Theirs is the country where a woman got millions of dollars for being stupid and spilling hot coffee on herself.
Hana