In denial & feeling down somewhat..

MissJSecker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well I've been diagnosed T2 for about 2 weeks. I am yet to see any doctor/nurse to discuss next steps. All I had was a letter confirming the diagnoses. Not even a phone call....

I had gestational diabetes so I understand it somewhat... however,
With the gestational it was all about baby Oliver. It wasn't about me. I watched my diet for him, to make sure he was OK when born. Yes it benefitted me as I lost over 4 stone 5lbs.

I don't feel a kick start to eat healthy if that makes sense this time around. I'm worried about being labeled a diabetic because of my weight. I'm a big lady...... i won't be me anymore.

Also I have this mind set around diabetes which scares me. Due to my mother. It's a long ****** story but -
My mother is a diabetic( used to be type 2 but now is type 1 ). She doesn't take care of herself. She drinks alcohol alot, eats chocolate and whatever she wants, smokes, doesn't take her tablet/use insulin, been hospitalised numerous times after passing out etc, she's also complaining about her feet and legs!! The beds under her toe nails are turning black. I have tried so so so many times to get her to look after herself. She says and I quote - 'I don't want diabetes to control my life'. It's going to kill her!

Also My partner is brushing this whole diabetes thing off. Everything I say he says it's in my head and I don't have to worry about it, it won't change my life at all. It's like how I can relate to a few symptoms. Drowsy after food, waking up to wee, always thirsty, this weird smell/taste at random points.

Tell me I'm going to be OK?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Welcome @MissJSecker :)

Yes, you'll be ok - if you get your diabetes put in its place :)

I'm sorry to hear that your mum is struggling. That can't be easy for her or you. Was she misdiagnosed as a Type 2 and then re-diagnosed as Type 1?

You are not your mum, so how you approach diabetes doesn't have to be influenced by her. Do you have a blood glucose meter? Knowledge is power. Knowing your blood sugar is a huge help in keeping control.

Reactions: 2 people

MissJSecker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Welcome @MissJSecker :)

Yes, you'll be ok - if you get your diabetes put in its place :)

I'm sorry to hear that your mum is struggling. That can't be easy for her or you. Was she misdiagnosed as a Type 2 and then re-diagnosed as Type 1?

You are not your mum, so how you approach diabetes doesn't have to be influenced by her. Do you have a blood glucose meter? Knowledge is power. Knowing your blood sugar is a huge help in keeping control.
Hi, I do have a monitor they gave me during the gestational diabetes. It's an accuchek active? I have not a lot of strips and lancets left so need to look into buying some if they won't supply refills.

No she had gestational diabetes. That lead to type 2... she didn't do anything for it. No diet, no med etc and ended up developing type 1. She got told she was type 1 on the last hospital visit. X

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's good you have a meter :) Check out the prices of strips for that particular meter - they may be pricey if you can't get them on prescription. Many Type 2s use a meter that takes cheaper strips. I believe it's called SD Codefree but hopefully some Type 2s will be along later to confirm the details.

As your mum has now been told she's Type 1 and she seems to have had a similar history to yours, you may want to ask about tests to confirm your diabetes type. Type 1 diabetes is an auto immune disease. There are tests that can look for evidence of this immune attack.

If you're limited with what strips you've got, you could try doing a blood test first thing in the morning, and one two hours after your main meal.

Reactions: 4 people

TabbyL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hiya, I'm newly diagnosed and I'm a bit down too. I'm big (17st) and I've already been told 3 times that my it was inevitable because of my weight. (2 colleagues and my MIL).

Gook luck, ignore the negativity and hit it head on - I get the feeling we're all in this together xx

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
Hello and welcome @MissJSecker
Pick your battles - Oliver still needs a healthy Mum, and you already have the experience and spirit to put diabetes in its place once again. Your mother is the one in denial and you need to look after yourself first. Who knows, your mother may even be inspired, she may even get onto this forum and motivate herself.
Here's a link to a good supplier of strips (if I'm allowed to post it) http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-test-strips/ for the SD Codefree. They are quite popular amongst members. Lots of manufacturers will give away the meter to get your business for the strips and lancets.
Keep in touch and ask whatever you need. Here's a virtual hug to start you off. *hug*

Reactions: 3 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hiya, I'm newly diagnosed and I'm a bit down too. I'm big (17st) and I've already been told 3 times that my it was inevitable because of my weight. (2 colleagues and my MIL).

Gook luck, ignore the negativity and hit it head on - I get the feeling we're all in this together xx

Well, your MIL and colleagues are wrong.
Subcutaneous fat is often a symptom of insulin resistance for those likely to develop type 2.
It is not the cause of T2.
There are many, many different causes of T2, from genetics, environment, chemical and pollution exposure, and weight gain may accelerate the T2 development, but there are a lot of people MUCH larger than you, who do not have T2.

Weight loss may reverse your T2. It does for some of us, but not for all of us.

The next time they are so rude, turn round and suggest that they stop taking idiot articles in the Daily Mail as gospel, and you are not interested in discussing your health with them until they stop regurgitating misinformed drivel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 people

LittleG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well I've been diagnosed T2 for about 2 weeks. I am yet to see any doctor/nurse to discuss next steps. All I had was a letter confirming the diagnoses. Not even a phone call....

I had gestational diabetes so I understand it somewhat... however,
With the gestational it was all about baby Oliver. It wasn't about me. I watched my diet for him, to make sure he was OK when born. Yes it benefitted me as I lost over 4 stone 5lbs.

I don't feel a kick start to eat healthy if that makes sense this time around. I'm worried about being labeled a diabetic because of my weight. I'm a big lady...... i won't be me anymore.

Also I have this mind set around diabetes which scares me. Due to my mother. It's a long ****** story but -
My mother is a diabetic( used to be type 2 but now is type 1 ). She doesn't take care of herself. She drinks alcohol alot, eats chocolate and whatever she wants, smokes, doesn't take her tablet/use insulin, been hospitalised numerous times after passing out etc, she's also complaining about her feet and legs!! The beds under her toe nails are turning black. I have tried so so so many times to get her to look after herself. She says and I quote - 'I don't want diabetes to control my life'. It's going to kill her!

Also My partner is brushing this whole diabetes thing off. Everything I say he says it's in my head and I don't have to worry about it, it won't change my life at all. It's like how I can relate to a few symptoms. Drowsy after food, waking up to wee, always thirsty, this weird smell/taste at random points.

Tell me I'm going to be OK?

You will totally be OK. Big diet changes, exercise, and regular monitoring to arm you with information about which foods are your enemy. These things have been my road to rude health.
It's time to look after number 1 and everything else will follow.
Welcome and good luck!

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No she had gestational diabetes. That lead to type 2... she didn't do anything for it. No diet, no med etc and ended up developing type 1. She got told she was type 1 on the last hospital visit.

Hi @MissJSecker sorry to hear of your diagnosis and that you have experience with your mum struggling. I reckon posting on here might be your first step to figuring out how to deal with the diagnosis. There are lots of experienced and knowledgable type twos who will be able to offer advice on how to manage it.

The way you describe your mums history is a bit confusing. Type 2 does not develop into type 1. Type 1 is an autoimmune disease - it is not the progression of type 2. It is however possible to be an insulin dependent type 2 (a lot of people will think this means you become type 1 and medical staff might also present this without much clarity) and of course it is possible to be initially misdiagnosed as type 2 and then get a correct diagnosis of type 1.

It's worth clarifying, because if you have a family history of type 1 it would be worth asking for antibody tests as @azure mentioned so that you can be sure of your diabetic status.

MissJSecker

Type of diabetes
Type 2

I'm bigger than you.. I haven't told many yet but the response I've had off the people I have. Well it's all been negative. People assume it's to do with your weight. But I've read it isn't. SOD THEM!

MissJSecker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello and welcome @MissJSecker
Pick your battles - Oliver still needs a healthy Mum, and you already have the experience and spirit to put diabetes in its place once again. Your mother is the one in denial and you need to look after yourself first. Who knows, your mother may even be inspired, she may even get onto this forum and motivate herself.
Here's a link to a good supplier of strips (if I'm allowed to post it) http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-test-strips/ for the SD Codefree. They are quite popular amongst members. Lots of manufacturers will give away the meter to get your business for the strips and lancets.
Keep in touch and ask whatever you need. Here's a virtual hug to start you off. *hug*
Thank you * Hug back * she is totally in denial. She's getting worse and worse. I'm going to try my best. Thank you for the comments xx

MissJSecker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @MissJSecker sorry to hear of your diagnosis and that you have experience with your mum struggling. I reckon posting on here might be your first step to figuring out how to deal with the diagnosis. There are lots of experienced and knowledgable type twos who will be able to offer advice on how to manage it.

The way you describe your mums history is a bit confusing. Type 2 does not develop into type 1. Type 1 is an autoimmune disease - it is not the progression of type 2. It is however possible to be an insulin dependent type 2 (a lot of people will think this means you become type 1 and medical staff might also present this without much clarity) and of course it is possible to be initially misdiagnosed as type 2 and then get a correct diagnosis of type 1.

It's worth clarifying, because if you have a family history of type 1 it would be worth asking for antibody tests as @azure mentioned so that you can be sure of your diabetic status.
I've spoken to her and she's said that her new doctors suggested that she was misdiagnosed as type 2 when she was type 1 all along. When I do get my appointment at the doctor I will ask them about the test you've suggested thank you x

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've spoken to her and she's said that her new doctors suggested that she was misdiagnosed as type 2 when she was type 1 all along. When I do get my appointment at the doctor I will ask them about the test you've suggested thank you x

It's a GAD test -http://www.diabetes.co.uk/gad-antibody-test.html - just so you are armed with the name of what you are asking about, hopefully that means you are less likely to get fobbed off! :)

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello @MssJSecker. I also had gestational diabetes and tried very hard to comply with the advice for my beautiful baby, just as you did.

I was diagnosed Type 2 a few months ago, when that same beautiful baby was 171/2. I still want to keep myself healthy and active for his sake, his brother's sake and for my husband's sake, as well as my own. My dad has been Type 2 since mid-40s and doesn't follow the advice. He eats and drinks thee wrong things, and as a result his quality of life is very compromised. I am determined not to let the same thing happen to me. I have followed good advice on this forum, and asked lots of questions which people have been kind enough to answer, and as a result I feel that i am controlling this disease.

I'm sure you're a very caring mum and daughter. You might not be able to do much to support your mum if she's unwilling to listen, but you can do lots to keep yourself healthy for your son and for yourself. Eating well and healthily will become second nature. And when you feel low, there are always people on this forum who will help you through.