Hello and thank you

fee50mcl

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi there. Fee here. I've just been confirmed with Type 2 which came as no surprise. I'd just like to say thanks to the administrators and contributors who have given me relevant and encouraging information as I have read through other threads. I'm still a bit bewildered to be honest but have lost 20lbs in a month through low carb and portion control. At my first Diabetic Clinic yesterday, my nurse explained that I wouldn't be issued with a glucose testing kit because I wasn't on medication. My hb thingy was just borderline. My question is, do you think I should buy a kit and if so could you recommend one? I'm needle phobic and to be honest, I'm finding the prospect of daily testing a bit worrying.

Reactions: 6 people

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally testing has helped me improve my control and understand how foods affect me. There is a lot of info on here about the best monitor, you need to look at the cost of the strips as they are what you will need to keep buying.

I generally test for new foods, I know the things that don't send my BG high so if I eat them I'm more comfortable not checking myself.

As for needle phobia, take a look at the testing kits so you understand what is involved - it's a sharp prick, you don't see the needle. Ok it's not pleasant but personally found I adapted quickly and it doesn't worry me anymore,

Best of luck :)

Reactions: 4 people

LittleG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Regular testing throughout the day has been the key to helping me understand and control my recently diagnosed diabetes. I can't imagine not being able to test and see how foods are affecting me, in fact or me it's a no brainer. The finger prick is a bit uncomfortable at first but it's nothing like having an injection, you soon get used to it.

Reactions: 2 people

fee50mcl

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Personally testing has helped me improve my control and understand how foods affect me. There is a lot of info on here about the best monitor, you need to look at the cost of the strips as they are what you will need to keep buying.

I generally test for new foods, I know the things that don't send my BG high so if I eat them I'm more comfortable not checking myself.

As for needle phobia, take a look at the testing kits so you understand what is involved - it's a sharp prick, you don't see the needle. Ok it's not pleasant but personally found I adapted quickly and it doesn't worry me anymore,

Best of luck :)
That's reassuring. Thanks.

fee50mcl

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Regular testing throughout the day has been the key to helping me understand and control my recently diagnosed diabetes. I can't imagine not being able to test and see how foods are affecting me, in fact or me it's a no brainer. The finger prick is a bit uncomfortable at first but it's nothing like having an injection, you soon get used to it.
Thanks. Your comment was very useful.

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As others have said, testing has made me realise how foods affect me - not just the type of foods but also the quantities. So, by testing before and after everything I ate for the first 8 weeks after diagnosis, I learned that I can eat berries in small quantities after midday, but they send my BS shooting up if eaten in the morning. I can't eat anything with wheat in. I can mange the odd small potato, but don't (because I have no will power, so one small potato quickly leads to 5 more - easier to say "I don't eat potatoes").

My HBA1C on diagnosis was 97, 12 weeks later it was 49 and I was 1 1/2 stone lighter. I now test every morning, and before and after evening meals. I tend to always eat the same 3 breakfast and lunches, (very boring!) and know how those affect me.

A meter isn't expensive, mine cost £12.00 but worth it's weight in gold. Watch out for the price of test strips, they can be exorbitant

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @fee50mcl! I have an extreme needle phobia too. I have only had one injection in over 60 years, since childhood inoculations which gave me the phobia. I always thought I would avoid diabetes because of the phobia even though I was in most of the 'at risk' groups and my mother had T2.
It was a shock when I was diagnosed and I was in denial too. I didn't self test until after my 3 month retest, when I realised I would not know how I was doing until my next HbA1c test in 12 months unless I tested myself.
After reading reviews of different meters I bought a Accu Chek Mobile. It costs around £20 online with a cartridge of 50 tests, but ASDA pharmacies were doing them for £17. It has a Accu Chek FastClix pricker attached. I was a bit apprehensive to use it at first, but it looks like a large pen and you don't see the needle. I hardly feel it and use it without any problem now. I might switch to another meter, but I would continue to use the FastClix pricker.

If you are pre-diabetic it would be good to self test to avoid becoming full blown diabetic and possibly progressing to have to inject. I wish I had avoided the T2 diagnosis. You still have the opportunity to avoid it.

6cats

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
One needle phobic to another! I am T2 but was issued with a testing kit because I take Gliclazide. It took me 3 hours the first time, 11 weeks later I do do it before and after most meals. It does not hurt it's just a sensation, you will get use to it, it's has to become a way of life so deep breath and go for it! It has enabled me to understand the condition and have a better grasp of what I need to do. I am still a newbie but this is my personal experiences so far!!!!

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Digger-i-doo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Like @Prem51 it took me a while to come around to the idea of self-testing because of my extreme needle phobia. And my first time doing it ... what a gong show. I worked myself up into a huge lather over it. But it does get easier even if it's never fun. I've also got the FastClix device, and I press the button during a deep exhale. Deep breathing is good. ;)

fee50mcl

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Thanks for your very useful advice. I'll try to suck it up and buy the kit as advised. Thanks for taking the time to help.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@fee50mcl - Hello and Welcome to the Forum. :) I will tag @Bluetit1802 who has a link for a SD Codefree Monitor. (Thanks Bluetit1802).

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
It's the only way to know what foods work for you...the needle thing isn't really an issue with these wee things...honestly. I use a One Touch Verio as it's the one I was given, and it's easy to use but tends to be a wee bit higher in readings than others (which suits me) but my wife is a nurse and she uses an Accu Check when working...it's good. I suggest you go to Amazon's website and enter blood sugar monitors and see what's what. The sooner the better. If GPs were diabetic themselves they would soon be issuing more meters but budgets and priorities dictate.

Reactions: 3 people

fee50mcl

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Thanks. That's reassuring. I feel much better about the needle thing and am going to get a metre from Amazon as you suggest.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

Reactions: 5 people

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
I personally think it is important that you test regularly.

I have just bought a new Code Free off Amazon. Cheapest on the market as are all the lancets and strips so will also be easier on your pocket and the company behind Code Free, Home Health offer amazing customer service.

Just make sure you select the correct meter...which I didn't...hence my experience if their customer service. You have a choice of a mg/dl reading or a mmol (used in the UK) reading. Both same price. :)

Diagnosed 13 April 16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, weight 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, waist 42").

2 June 16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 120/72, weight 11st 11lbs, waist 30" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, waist 42").

Regime: 20g LCHF, run 1 mile each day, weekly intermittent fasting.

Never give in, never give in, never never never given in...Winston Churchill.

Sent from my iPhone3 June16:

Sent from my iPhone

Reactions: 2 people