Is this an age thing???

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I have begun to wonder how much of the need to be in control is an age thing. I was diagnosed type 2 in my 50s( Now 61) and have researched everything that I can find. Also I've been campaigning for better access to test strips to improve my control and balancing weight loss with tight control. It's not easy! So much medication puts weight on you. My neighbour, has been diagnosed about a year. He's in his 70s and opted to go straight onto insulin, because he didn't want to control his diet. This man is slim! He comes over and helps me with gardening. I find some things difficult as I've survived a stroke.
Naturally we talk and he tells me his BG numbers. I would flip out if I got numbers like that. He's been told that up to 20 is OK. and regularly goes into double fiures. When I tell him my numbers at around 5 whenever I test, he just laughs. He of course has free access to strips, mine are rationed. He doesn't care and I do. We don't attend the same medical practice or I'd ask for some of his strip ration. I know other older people, who don't care what their numbers are OR what they eat.. Quite happy to have a sandwich for lunch and think it's OK if it's brown bread!

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions
hanadr said:
Quite happy to have a sandwich for lunch and think it's OK if it's brown bread!

hello hanadr,
I wonder how the dietary moderates will respond to that statement? :wink:

It's worth remembering that none of us chose diabetes as an occupation.
Also, not everyone is in the ideal position to attain "perfect control".
A phsycally varied job can make control tricky and a disability can make
regular exercise almost impossible. Others just don't take diabetes
as seriously as maybe they should.

Although, at the end of the day, I think you're right:
most of us on the forum are CONTROL FREAKS! :mrgreen:

all the best,
timo.

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi hanadr,

If your neighbour went straight onto insulin, is skinny, and gets unlimited test strips, I'm guessing he's a type 1? Pretty unusual to be diagnosed at that age, though!

I confess to being a control freak too and blithely assumed that all diabetics would be. What's the attraction of not being in control?

A doctor once told me that her diabetic patients usually fit into 1 of 3 categories: The first wanted to know all they could and do everything possible to beat diabetes, even if it meant acting contrary to standard medical advice. The second would do largely what they were told to, even if it entailed a slow steady decline into ill health. The third, she explained, actually enjoyed having the condition even to the extent where they might refuse a 'cure' were it to exist!

Maybe your neighbour is a type 3 diabetic then!

All the best,

fergus

Silvercat

Your neighbour will realise that 20 is not ok when he starts getting diabetes related illnesses...it will happen sooner or later.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I'm personally a control freak; low carb at that. I have found the latest NICE guidelines and been bombarding my PCT for more strips. the NICE document seems to say I can have them if I want them and need them. As PCT claims to follow NICE guidelines, I should get some more. I am retired and lead a busy life, loads of exercise classes and some voluntary work, dogs and a garden. My pattern varies from day to day, so I can't do the same each day and know my BG will be the same. For example, I went out with my walking group today, but since there's a monsoon in South Oxfordshire, we didn't go as far as usual. Only about 2 miles ,paddling most of it. I expended more energy keeping warm in soaked clothing. I'm home now, but had to change right down to skin level. Even my underwear was wet!!
My neighbour told me his highest BG was 18 last week. When I asked what he'd been doing, he told mr he'd been out for dinner. At his age, I think complications develop slowly.That might be why the NHS don't worry about type 2s . Many of us are older and will not have long enough lives to get into real trouble.
I'm planning on a long life without trouble. I have some retinopathy, but it's stable. the diabetic eye clinic only want to see me after 9 months and last time, the doctor was comparing his diagrams from the previous visit carefully.

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You may be right, perhaps your neighbour has decided a short but happy life is better than a longer but restricted one? Or his doctors have decided this for him in view of his age? Or maybe he doesn't understand the implications.

Please don't assume, though, that everyone with high numbers 'doesn't care'. Some seem to have naturally stable readings while others struggle to even achieve a pattern. Consequently the latter may be pleased about numbers that would depress the former. Laughter may be false bravado, it's that or cry.

Sue

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I'm 69, 10 year diag. I want to be an active 88 year old like my mother - who was not diabetic. Some problems are now occurring - there is a small retinopathy area in one eye, & I've got this neuropathy pain in one leg. Good control must delay complications.

Incidentally, off-topic, when I was offered my PPP 4 years ago, they only offered an increasing one. My adviser got all the options. Option 14 was fixed rate. The first option was so low, that it would take 17 years to be equal to the fixed rate, & 22 years to be equal in money.

Silvercat

I threatened my diabetic nurse with NICE guidelines and the reply to a petition and lo and behold next minute she had talked to my doc and I was being prescribed strips!!!!
The other comment about docs not caring about T2s because of age is ludicrous. I get very good care in my area and the clinic I recently started going to was totally full of people aged 40 plus all getting the same care as me. If a doc thinks that then get rid of him!!!

AmberAnn

Being 67 this month and recently diagnosed T2 all I'm doing is trying to lose weight..as I was 14 st 5'6 so with a combination of NO more sweet stuff choc cake biscuits pastry etc and more salads veg and fruit ..so hopefully it will improve my overall health as well as control the diabeties..at the mo' I take no medication apart from an asprin...I have another appt with the DN on fri who will check my weight and my feet and I will ask her if my recent dizzy spells mean anything...But to be honest I intend to do as I'm told/advised..read stuff on here...and hopefully live a reasonably long life as healthy as I can get...But to answer your question is it a Age thing I can quote 2 examples..my brother in law late 50s thinks hes cured..I think he has his condition under control..and an elderly friend in her mid 80s..rarely eats meals..yet will scoff a bag of sweets...both extremes of T2 I think...