Ideas for high fat foods

friendlyfish

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

I find that dairy gives me various symptoms from migraine to other stuff I do not want to describe. So I want to not go there again.

After many years on and off low carb my weight is down, and I need to slow the weight loss.

Other disabilities make it difficult for me to use kitchen equipment. I struggle to stir flaxseed into nut butter - anything more complicated has to be reserved for a very, very good health day.

I do not like hot drinks at all - so bulletproof is out.

So what ideas does anyone have for dairy free ways to increase my fat intake?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Bluetit1802 and @AndBreathe have both been there with needing to halt weight loss, maybe they can make suggestions.

How are you with protein? Doesn't have to be dairy, or red meat, if that isn't your thing. Nuts, fish, tofu, seeds, and all the usual animal protein sources are good fro stabilising weight.

Have you come across Bernstein yet? He is the T1 who is a doctor and runs a clinic in the States. He has a very clear policy on keeping bg down to low levels (normal, not even pre-D) and he suggests protein to do it. By using his methods he has actually reversed his own diabetic complications almost completely.

His thinking is that fat won't put weight on, but protein will, because of the gluconeogenesis, slow releasing carbs so that it doesn't spike levels, but allows the insulin to drip feed fat into the cells.

If you google him, or look for his videos and lectures on you tube, you may pick up some fascinating snippets. He has also written some excellent books (see my sig)

Reactions: 3 people

Jasperville

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I aim for 75% fat, by weight, not by calories (probably 85% by calories). I probably only do this by consuming huge amounts of double cream and a lot of butter, which are not options for you, but I do have a lot of nuts. Some are only 3-5% carb (brazils, macadamias, walnuts)..................so, don't be afraid of upping your nut intake.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

I find that dairy gives me various symptoms from migraine to other stuff I do not want to describe. So I want to not go there again.

After many years on and off low carb my weight is down, and I need to slow the weight loss.

Other disabilities make it difficult for me to use kitchen equipment. I struggle to stir flaxseed into nut butter - anything more complicated has to be reserved for a very, very good health day.

I do not like hot drinks at all - so bulletproof is out.

So what ideas does anyone have for dairy free ways to increase my fat intake?

Thanks.

Friendlyfish - Do you know it's all dairy or those with high whey content? I know that @Brunneria has issues with whey, so can have cream and cheese, but does less well on milk.

When I was looking to stabilise weight (I needed to stop losing), I firstly just upped my portion size a bit. In reality that mean I upped my protein as I was already eating Mount Everest sized veg portions. When that didn't do the trick (my bloods were unchanged too), I can't recall whether I next added nuts or cheese, but in the end I ended up adding/increasing both nuts and cheese; mainly at lunchtimes. Eventually that pretty much kept my weight stable.

My choice of nuts were peanuts, so not the lowest of the low carb, but they are readily available, easy to manage, in terms of measuring consistent portion sizes (only during the transition stage, for consistency), and I tolerated them well. With too many nuts I can have a dodgy tummy, but that didn't raally happen this time around, which was curious really.

If you google around there are a huge number of sites blogging low carb food, and many also allow filtering for other elements, like dairy or veggie or whatever. My preferred sites are:
ditchthecarbs.com
ibreatheimhungry.com
nomnompaleo.com
dietdoctor.com has some great recipes too.

Although I'm talking about those sites for recipes, I don't always make the recipes, but use them for inspiration. Conveniently, all of those sites above (and there are many, many, many more) carb count their recipes, so it all helps with the essence of things.

Good puck with it all.

Reactions: 2 people

friendlyfish

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Friendlyfish - Do you know it's all dairy or those with high whey content?

Well, it was a long process. I realised that when I had cereal with milk for several days then the migraines increased, swapping to rice milk and the migraines behaved better. Yoghurt- same effect. Cheese was the last (this year) to remind me that without it I can breath better and sneeze less (I become almost sneeze normal!). Without butter the sinuses improve a bit more.

I have just been watching "Low carb down under 2016" on YouTube - fascinating lecture by Ron Rosendale - about reducing protein being as important as reducing carbs for health - actually my breakfast was 80g salmon and 120g veg - left me as weary as before eating, and the blood sugar still rose enough to give some symptoms. So I decided to have a big spoon of Whole Earth peanut butter with sunflower, pumpkin and flaxseed (I recommend this from Whole Earth) - I have a bit more energy now.

I also find my stomach is tiny - 200g food and I am full, I spent my life eating to discomfort because that was the only way to eat the amounts that were expected when I was growing up.

High fat is good because it is low bulk compared to meat and veg. But there are only so many nuts and nut butter I can eat, so I want to add more fat variety.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, it was a long process. I realised that when I had cereal with milk for several days then the migraines increased, swapping to rice milk and the migraines behaved better. Yoghurt- same effect. Cheese was the last (this year) to remind me that without it I can breath better and sneeze less (I become almost sneeze normal!). Without butter the sinuses improve a bit more.

I have just been watching "Low carb down under 2016" on YouTube - fascinating lecture by Ron Rosendale - about reducing protein being as important as reducing carbs for health - actually my breakfast was 80g salmon and 120g veg - left me as weary as before eating, and the blood sugar still rose enough to give some symptoms. So I decided to have a big spoon of Whole Earth peanut butter with sunflower, pumpkin and flaxseed (I recommend this from Whole Earth) - I have a bit more energy now.

I also find my stomach is tiny - 200g food and I am full, I spent my life eating to discomfort because that was the only way to eat the amounts that were expected when I was growing up.

High fat is good because it is low bulk compared to meat and veg. But there are only so many nuts and nut butter I can eat, so I want to add more fat variety.

If you drink coffee, you could try bullet proof coffee, using coconut butter instead of cows milk butter. what about goat's or ewe's milk?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

I am the same way, dairy intolerant ( and very jealous of everyone who can have it) and I need to eat small meals. I as well can only eat so many nuts. I use a few as snacks between meals as it keeps my energy up and easier to digest when they're away from other foods. My main fats are avocado and mayo as well as the few nuts and seeds. I smash a whole avocado with sea salt in the morning and eat 1/3 with each meal. If you can't smash it you can just eat chunks or slices. Many times is mix either horseradish, mustard or hot sauce into my mayo.
I love Ron Rosedale and he was a large missing piece of my puzzle. Reducing protein. Based on his guidelines and my weight I am to eat 30-37 G protein a day divided into 3 meals. At breakfast I have guac and celery and one homemade turkey meatball which is 5g. Lunch I have 10 g and dinner 15. Seems so little but have been doing this for a few years and all is well. I notice protein has a profound effect on my bs. Do you have his book? It's very good.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To what's already been mentioned, I'd add extra virgin olive oil, and if not butter, ghee may be fine. Dairy gives me a cough but so far I'm still tolerating butter, organic from grass fed cows.

Oh, also whole eggs for breakfast. I really enjoy green olives too. Has anyone mentioned coconut or coconut oil? Or avocado or nut oils?

I eat only one to two 1 ounce servings of raw nuts a day. The first serving on my salad, the second serving as a snack if I need it. Eating a variety of raw nuts helps. Walnuts and pecans are my favorites. Cashews are too addicting for me to have in the house.

I also enjoy eating the fat left over in the pan after cooking meat or poultry. :cool:

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Galja, I loved eating blue cheese, the dressings too, until I learned a few years ago that it contains gluten. :yuck: