Back to injections

martina

Hello, my daughter has recently went back to injections. Although some of her readings have been ok, I am having problems with highs at around 10pm. For the past week her levels have been good at teatime (5pm) and at supper time (7.30pm) However when I check then at 10pm she is always around 12.I have not been correcting this as I know her sugars drop in the early hours. She has Detemir twice a day.

I am also finding that she is waking up high although there are times when she is lowish during the night and needs a small snack. The high levels in on wakening would suggest more insulin needing during the night, however I am put off giving more Detemir by the lowish levels that we have at around 2am/ 4am. The dsn has say that she needs less during the night and its the food that causes the rise on wakening, I'm not convinced as I'm only giving her 1 glucose tablet for a level of around 4.9 surely this wouldnt cause her to wake with a level of around 12/13?
Sorry if the post sounds a bit confusing, I am very confused by it all, it was all so much easier with the pump. Thanks Martina

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

How old is your daughter?
Why was she taken off the pump?

Last edited by a moderator:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Do I understand that she is only on Detemir (Basal) and not a Bolus as well? If there is no Bolus she will peak a few hours after a meal and the Basal may be set a bit too high to compensate? T1s should normally be on Basal/Bolus or pump. Can you let us know more and if there is no Bolus you need to discuss adding this with DSN.

martina

Hi. Do I understand that she is only on Detemir (Basal) and not a Bolus as well? If there is no Bolus she will peak a few hours after a meal and the Basal may be set a bit too high to compensate? T1s should normally be on Basal/Bolus or pump. Can you let us know more and if there is no Bolus you need to discuss adding this with DSN.

martina

My daughter is 13, she came off pump for a break, she is struggling with the whole diabetes thing. She does bolus as well with her meals.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The dsn has say that she needs less during the night and its the food that causes the rise on wakening, I'm not convinced as I'm only giving her 1 glucose tablet for a level of around 4.9 surely this wouldnt cause her to wake with a level of around 12/13?

The DSN is right, have you tried testing her bg levels earlier say around 1am, it might be her levels are dipping much lower than 4.9 and that figure is a result of a liver dump (Somogyi Effect), when this happens it can explain higher than expected bg levels upon waking.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My daughter is 13, she came off pump for a break, she is struggling with the whole diabetes thing. She does bolus as well with her meals.

Thanks for clarifying.. I'm always wary of any advice regarding "little people"..
If you don't mind me asking. If she was struggling with the "diabetes thing". Why was the soliton stop pumping & back to MDI..?
If it was easier on the pump as you mentioned in the first post.
If it ain't broke & all that. Wouldn't a "tweak" with what she's already used to be a gentler option??