HbA1c confusion

Sue H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed (T2)last October & my HbA1c was 90 ,I had it re-tested in Jan & it was down to 36 .My test last week gave a result of 35 ,,,,,Is that ok or too low ...My DN said 36 was good but when I saw a Doctor for another issue she mentioned it was too low ..I see DN on Tuesday but I am bothered as i keep going dizzy :(

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Sue H :)

Do you test your blood sugar at home? If so. Did you test it when you felt dizzy?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The doctor asked the same but then refused to prescribe strips :/

That's usual not to be prescribed strips when you're a Type 2 and not on anything like insulin that can lower your blood sugar.

Many Type 2s here, even ones controlled by diet only, like to test their blood sugar at home. Blood glucose meters are quite cheap but it's the strips that tend to be pricey, so the SD Codefree is popular as the strips are cheap to buy. Let me tag some Type 2s for you - @catherinecherub @ladybird64 @AndBreathe @andcol and I hope they can provide more details about that meter if you choose to buy it.

Sue H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's usual not to be prescribed strips when you're a Type 2 and not on anything like insulin that can lower your blood sugar.

Many Type 2s here, even ones controlled by diet only, like to test their blood sugar at home. Blood glucose meters are quite cheap but it's the strips that tend to be pricey, so the SD Codefree is popular as the strips are cheap to buy. Let me tag some Type 2s for you - @ladybird64 @AndBreathe @andcol and I hope they can provide more details about that meter if you choose to buy it.
Thank you ....is HbA1c of 35 too low or is it ok ?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you ....is HbA1c of 35 too low or is it ok ?

I'm not a medic and obviously dont know your history, but my last HbA1C was 33 :)

If it was me, I'd get a meter and test at home. That way you can check you're not going low, check your blood sugar if you feel dizzy, and also see how your diet affects your blood sugar in general.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Hi Sue. As @azure has mentioned, the majority of us do need to fund our own meter and strips, the latter being the expensive item. Medics will give all sorts of novel reasons for advising you not to test, from "you don't need to, you're not on insulin" - "it will make your fingers sore" - "it will only worry you". The real reason is the cost of test strips.
Many of us use this meter http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/codefree-blood-glucose-monitoring, although I buy mine from Amazon, it is simple to use and has the cheapest test strips of the lot. I would certainly not say that your HbA1c is too low!

It is important to test yourself, that way you are in control and know what your levels are, more importantly, what foods affect them. It is unusual for blood sugar to drop too low while on Metformin (known as a hypo), so I think your GP should be looking at other reasons for your dizziness..don't be fobbed off as it may well be completely unrelated.
Once you get your meter let us know, and we can advise you how often to test.:)

Reactions: 2 people

Keesha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It is ridiculous that the NHS does not subsidize test strips for Type 2. We need to test everyday to know what the blood glucose level is.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

Sue H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Sue. As @azure has mentioned, the majority of us do need to fund our own meter and strips, the latter being the expensive item. Medics will give all sorts of novel reasons for advising you not to test, from "you don't need to, you're not on insulin" - "it will make your fingers sore" - "it will only worry you". The real reason is the cost of test strips.
Many of us use this meter http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/codefree-blood-glucose-monitoring, although I buy mine from Amazon, it is simple to use and has the cheapest test strips of the lot. I would certainly not say that your HbA1c is too low!

It is important to test yourself, that way you are in control and know what your levels are, more importantly, what foods affect them. It is unusual for blood sugar to drop too low while on Metformin (known as a hypo), so I think your GP should be looking at other reasons for your dizziness..don't be fobbed off as it may well be completely unrelated.
Once you get your meter let us know, and we can advise you how often to test.:)

thanks you all i will look into getting a meter :D

Last edited by a moderator:

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Sue, great HbA1c - keep it up

My HbA1c has been 33 for the last 2 years and I was diagnosed with a reading in the 90s like you. My doctor or DN has never said it is too low to me. However, your doctor may be thinking that the HbA1c is an average and to get that lower the swings either side up and down would be fairly large and therefore taking you to hypo land. Of course the variance is unknown unless you test regularly so the doctor should want you to monitor to check and not just demand that you raise your value.

So now to the second part as ladybird above posted the SD codefree is a good little meter which can give you running averages and mark before and after meals. The strips are fairly cheap (about £6/50) which is significantly different from my accucheck one where they cost £25/50. I have found no difference in the consistency of the meters except my SD reads a little higher.

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Sue H
I would agree with the other posters. My HbA1c was 33 for my last 2 tests and my GP is happy with that but he did say he had never come across a diabetic with a level that low before. I do test and feel that if you tested when you feel dizzy that would let you know if your sugars are going very low at that time.

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
I only recently bought the SD codefree meter and strips, after my local health board decided that I didn't need to test 'cos I wasn't on insulin.

There are codes that you can use at the checkout to get the strips cheaper- 5 tubs code 264086 or 10 tubs 975833. I didn't get this info until after I had bought but will certainly be using them in the future. The strips were about £6 per pot whereas I was paying over £15 from Abbotts for the meter that my dn had originally prescribed.

The site is Home Health Ltd

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Sue H 35 is a great result. My Hb has been 34 for over a year now, you are doing great but definately get yourself a meter.

Reactions: 2 people

Sue H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks everyone for the advice ill stick at it & not worry ...now to work on lowering my cholesterol & stay off statins ...any tips please :(

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think great advice has already been given regarding your readings and getting a meter.My personal experience is that both blood pressure and cholesterol readings both rapidly improved by strict low carbing.So as your BG level comes down it may be that with low carbs your cholesterol will improve.The theory is that as your body has less glucose and stored glucose (glycogen) to run itself it looks for an alternative.Using a LCHF diet that alternative is good natural fat.As these are consumed and burned up for fuel so are excess cholesterol in your system.Thus bringing down your cholesterol levels.My trigs went from a disastrous level of 6.0 to 1.0 after three months on LCHF.
Next time you get an hbA1c insist on a full panel of lipid tests.An overall cholesterol figure is actually pretty meaningless so be sure to get a breakdown.You need to know where you are. So be polite but firm.
Well done so far you are doing great.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
I only recently bought the SD codefree meter and strips, after my local health board decided that I didn't need to test 'cos I wasn't on insulin.

There are codes that you can use at the checkout to get the strips cheaper- 5 tubs code 264086 or 10 tubs 975833. I didn't get this info until after I had bought but will certainly be using them in the future. The strips were about £6 per pot whereas I was paying over £15 from Abbotts for the meter that my dn had originally prescribed.

The site is Home Health Ltd

Are you aware of any coupon codes for their lancets in bulk?

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you aware of any coupon codes for their lancets in bulk?
Kevin the best lancet is made by Accucheck and is called Fastclix.There was some discussion about this and there seems to be a general agreement that this is the best.The lancets are in a drum and it is adjustable for depth and therefore quite accurate.
I use one myself in preference to the SD Codefree lancet which frankly I found cheap,plastic,badly designed and hard to use and therefore painful.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Kevin the best lancet is made by Accucheck and is called Fastclix.There was some discussion about this and there seems to be a general agreement that this is the best.The lancets are in a drum and it is adjustable for depth and therefore quite accurate.
I use one myself in preference to the SD Codefree lancet which frankly I found cheap,plastic,badly designed and hard to use and therefore painful.

Thank you...very much appreciated:)

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app