Just hold on there, fat is now bad again....

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm very happy to eat olive oil as I believe it is healthy. However, I watched a programme that said you shouldn't cook with it. So do I cook with rapeseed oil as they suggested or lard? Any advice? Thanks.

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Rapeseed is at least cold pressed, ie, it is somewhat natural. However, apparently in my understanding, the equivalent of 'extra virgin', so the untreated, raw rapeseed oil absolutely stinks and has a dreadful taste, so it has to go through a series of deodorising, flavour removing processes, involving chemicals that you wouldn't want to ingest, to make it palatable.

Personally I use olive oil or olive oil and butter, depending on the flavour I want, in cooking that doesn't require very high temperatures. I tend to braise gently or poach my food in the oil / butter, in never gets near to a smoking temperature. If I do want a fat for high temperatures (usually to grease a griddle pan for a steak etc) I'd use lard or beef dripping, I'd guess I use half a pound a month, or maybe less.

If you don't eat deep fried food (and if you don't eat chips, what's the point) you need very little fat for high temperatures.

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Antonio Trichopoulou is one of the two women accredited with bringing the Mediterranean diet to prominence. She was promoting vegetable oils instead of saturated fats as part of a healthy lifestyle, on the back of Ancel Keys now discredited Seven Nations Study.
She felt compelled to act when she saw Olive trees being cut down and a traditional way of life disappearing.
And she did, indeed, do us all a huge favour, olive oil is probably the most healthy oil and it might have been drowned under a sea of corn oil and sunflower oil and cottonseed oil if it hadn't been for this woman and her Italian co-researcher.

But, is it not just as likely that it is the Mediterranean lifestyle that is heart healthy? The temperature and the sunshine for a start off, an abundant supply of vitamin D? A better work / life balance? Many Mediterraneans value family life, proper mealtimes, with lazy meals eaten over several hours. More locally grown, colourful vegetables, with few food miles, so nutritious food, that has been from field to table in hours not weeks.

In all observational studies there are too many confounding variables. If you took 1000 people in the middle of Siberia and put them on the Mediterranean diet, I would guess that they would see no benefits to health whatsoever. Any benefits would be wiped out by the cold, the Vodka and the cigarette smoking!

Nobody would dream of saying that colourful fresh vegetables, olive oil, plenty of fish are bad things to incorporate into a diet, it is accompanying that with the next bit, therefore saturated fat, red meat etc must be bad. We travel in Europe extensively and have visited all the Mediterranean countries, with their wonderful lamb, goat, some beef. It is a fallacy that people in these countries do not eat red meat, they do! In our part of Spain, it is the fat of the Jamon that is the most valued part.

All observational studies must be treated with huge scepticism, those financed by manufacturers are quite likely to be actually fraudulent. The recent well reported study that 'More Pasta is healthier' actually financed by a pasta manufacturer, completely reversed the findings in the study. Although the data clearly showed that the subset eating the most pasta had shorter life expectancies, the conclusions stated the opposite. And all the results were ridiculous anyway, each individual must have 100 confounding variables. Observational studies and diet just don't work. Did you realise that a typical diet analysis is made using either one interview, where people are asked to recall what they ate yesterday (partly people have bad bad memories or they lie to create a good impression) or a few questionnaires / food diary recordings. Then the researches presume that each person continues to follow the diet for the duration of the trial. If it is an interventional trial, then the person if introduced to the required changes, and included in the study results even if they don't implement the changes, or if they implement changes for a short while then revert to their original diet. The days of putting people in hospitals and mental institutions on experimental diets is long gone, thank goodness, but data from these sorts of trials are still often cited in modern research.

And if mouse studies were clearly labelled as such in the title, for instance "New study shows that mice eating an entirely artificial, high fat diet, where the protein is not a foodstuff, the fat is largely transfats do incredibly badly compared to mice eating natural grains", we'd all know it was garbage and didn't apply to us.

What is happening now is that large numbers of extremely talented, clever people are looking back at old research to find out how and why we got it so wrong, and they are discovering errors, lies, misinterpretation of data, exaggerated benefits etc etc etc. this is what has lead me back to my belief, it should be natural, it should be traditionally a food (not cotton seeds, High Fructose Corn Syrup, textured Vegetable protein etc etc). If I can remember my grandmother cooking it, even better.

Reactions: 4 people

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cold pressed rapeseed oil
Completely unprocessed.

http://www.farrington-oils.co.uk/rapeseed-oil/
http://www.farrington-oils.co.uk/rapeseed-oil/the-process/

Like olive oil, if you don't buy the extra virgin, it no doubt is an industrial process to recover it.
Canola Oil is processed Rapeseed based. Canola Oil has poor track record, but is very common in processed foods because it is cheap to manufacture. I like the pretty yellow fields that rape grows in, but I would not use rapeseed oil myself.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well perhaps I had better stop eating mounds of butter, cream, yogurt, red meat et al.

My test results from Thursday were:
Total cholesterol 5.4
Trigs 0.5
HDL 2.33
LDL calculated 2.8
TC/HDL ratio 2.3.

all other bits and bobs in the middle of the standard range.

It doesn't seem to be doing me much harm.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Canola Oil is processed Rapeseed based. Canola Oil has poor track record, but is very common in processed foods because it is cheap to manufacture. I like the pretty yellow fields that rape grows in, but I would not use rapeseed oil myself.

I wouldn't eat heavily processed olive oil either,
All processed foods are generally poor quality.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well perhaps I had better stop eating mounds of butter, cream, yogurt, red meat et al.

My test results from Thursday were:
Total cholesterol 5.4
Trigs 0.5
HDL 2.33
LDL calculated 2.8
TC/HDL ratio 2.3.

all other bits and bobs in the middle of the standard range.

It doesn't seem to be doing me much harm.

I like to see my HDL just a touch higher, and my LDL down a bit.
But so long as you're happy with your results, why change anything.

Then again, you have said previously you're in the group of people that seems to cope with saturated fat in your diet.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I start every morning off with a teaspoon of coconut oil.

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I start every morning off with a teaspoon of coconut oil.

Do you think a tea spoonful is enough? I take a tablespoonful which seems to be the recommended amount but not 100% sure about it.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Not sure but I have a teaspoon later in the day too or a cap full of olive oil.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My mother swore by her spoonful of cod liver oil every day.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not sure but I have a teaspoon later in the day too or a cap full of olive oil.
Bernstein has since gone back on the advice he gave on this matter. He no longer recommends it.

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The olive oil recommendation has universal appeal? On the television a couple of months ago a cardiologist was recommending 2 tablespoonfuls but only 2 because there are a lot of calories in olive oil.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
I have no idea who Bernstein is but best of luck to him.
I'm doing what so obviously works ... for me.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I like to see my HDL just a touch higher, and my LDL down a bit.
But so long as you're happy with your results, why change anything.

Then again, you have said previously you're in the group of people that seems to cope with saturated fat in your diet.

I just prefer low trigs and within reasonable standard on the other bits. There is nothing wrong with my lipids, especially compared to what they were before I started LCHF, and my GP agrees. What you prefer is your choice, just as not eating saturated fat is your choice.

Reactions: 2 people