Lexi_1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mushrooms, Rude people, Snakes
Hi All
Am traveling to Singapore and Bali in a months time.
I have 1 large Frio Wallet and am thinking about buying another 1 maybe two. I' going for just over 2 weeks. I take Novorapid and Levemir. I average 30 units each injection.

How many pens should i take with me?
Would a large wallet and an extra large wallet be enough to keep insulin cool?
should i carry the insulin i'm singing in a cooling wallet when out and about as it will be hot???

sorry for all the questions any advice would be amazing

Thanks in Advance

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Better to take too many than run short @Lexi_1991, the Frio Wallets are very good at keeping insulin cool (even in high temperatures) but you will likely have to re-soak the wallets quite often to retain the cooling properties.

Lexi_1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Better to take too many than run short @Lexi_1991, the Frio Wallets are very good at keeping insulin cool (even in high temperatures) but you will likely have to re-soak the wallets quite often to retain the cooling properties.

Thanks @noblehead this is very true, just worried about keeping it all cold and unsure if have a fridge in the many hotel rooms we are staying in. :)

Lexi_1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
You could take something like these with you, keep them cold in the hotel room mini bar fridge with your. insulin. Then take what you need when you go out sightseeing and a block or two to keep every thing cold.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Freezer-Blocks-Suitable-Cooler/dp/B00CMOZYF8

A friend of mine keeps his insulin hold with these when he goes on holiday.

Edit: Typos

Thanks @Tipetoo I have had a look at these and this may work, though i may have the difficulty of freezing them again. Thanks for the advice

tpaz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Cardio exercise
I bought one when we went on holiday a few weeks ago. Ended up throwing it out as we returned from the airport. I thought it smelled funny... Kind of like gym socks or something.

I've found a case on Amazon that you can freeze and will last 8 hours. I think I may buy that for next time.

CapnGrumpy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It sounds obvious, but Frio wallets work by evaporation, so make sure they get some air. Otherwise you get a warm, damp environment that's great for growing bacteria and fungi. (I learnt this the hard way.)

@Lexi_1991 are you on disposable pens? You might find reusable ones with cartridges take up less space. Take more than you think you need and lots more test strips.

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've still got the same Frio Wallet I bought 7 years ago and it still serves me fine.

With regards to how much insulin to take with you the advice I was given is to take twice what you think you will need.
So for you based on 30 of each a day (add another 10 to allow for test shots each day) comes at 2 of each JUST to cover you, though you have little in the way of spare for dealing with highs, illness or failed pens / damaged insulin.

If it was me I would be taking 5 of each and split them between 2 large Frio wallets.

Be sure to keep the wallets out where the air can get at them and re-soak them every 24 hours has worked well for me in hot countries.

That said, if you do have a fridge where you are staying the insulin in the fridge and wallet out on the side until you next need it.

Enjoy.

Don't forget to take one of your repeat prescription slips with you and plenty of hypo treatment. I find that safest when travelling to countries where I don't know what hypo foods I will be able to easily lay my hands on.

/A

alexhill05

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would suggest taking 3 weeks worth of insulin for the 2 week trip.

As already asked - are you using disposable pens or refillable? I can fit 2 pens and 2 spare cartridges in the duo wallet if it isn't fully soaked, just needs 'recharging' more - I currently recharge twice a week and it's currently 35 degrees, insulin still works!

Enjoy Bali!