Petition for NHS to push Low carbs for T2s

plantagenet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is a petition currently running entitled "NHS to encourage the treatment of type 2 diabetes with a low carbohydrate diet". So far it has attracted a paltry 358 signatures. It needs 10,000 to invoke a reaction from HMG and 100,000 to get a chance of being debated in the House of Commons.

If you want to help raise the profile on Low Carbs you can find the petition here: https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/125704 and hopefully we can get a debate on the issue.

Reactions: 5 people

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Professor Taylor used a low calorie diet, he never once claimed it was low carb, in fact proportionally, it was high in carbs, so if it gets the required number of signatures, it won't be debated for long.

Possibly it should be reworded to stress the calorie restriction, at 800 calories for the 8 weeks.

tina_marie

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
patronising people an those who lie.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Done, plus I emailed my MP to ask for support. Not that he'll be allowed to give it.

goslow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Where do you get your data from that Dr Taylor's low calorie diet is high in carbs? Grateful for the info please.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Where do you get your data from that Dr Taylor's low calorie diet is high in carbs? Grateful for the info please.

The optifast shake
Protein (g) 14 (35%)
Carbohydrate (g) 20 (50%)
Fat (g) 3 (15%)

A 50% ratio isn't low carb to most people.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is a rather messy petition, to be honest.

This is the wording:

Professor Taylor has shown that Type 2 diabetes can be reversed using a low carbohydrate, low calorie diet. The NHS has announced it is rolling out a programme to give pre-diabetics lifestyle help. There is no mention of the blood sugar diet which pre-diabetics and diabetics should be following.

The programme will cost £7 million pounds to run. The dietary advice will be the same as that currently being followed. We have a diabetes epidemic so the old advice is not working.
Dr Maureen Baker, of the Royal College of GPs, welcomed the scheme but she warned "The long-term behaviour changes we need to see is hard to inspire". However, there are forums for the Blood Sugar Diet which offer the support and inspiration needed which will also ease the burden on GP surgeries.

Both Taylor's Newcastle Diet and Moseley's Bloodsugar Diets are mentioned, and the implication is that these are low carb. They are only low carb because they are restricted to 800 calories a day, but the ND style meal replacement shakes often have added sugars, and the Bloodsugar Diet is heavily influenced by the Mediterranean Diet - which can be as low carb as you like, but traditionally the Mediterranean Diet can also be heavy on the pasta and rice and bread, if you want, while Low Carbing is rarely calorie restricted, and even more rarely restricted to 800 calories a day.

The petition writer has provided no references to either diet, and seems to assume that low calorie means low carb - which it isn't necessarily. They also claim that Blood Sugar Diet forums are the solution. Except that of course wouldn't necessarily involve Low Carbing...

I would be first in line to sign a better written petition, but not this one.

Edited to add: Plus, if some HCP tried to push me into following some diet with just 800 calories a day, they would find I would push back pretty hard. I have served my time with highly reduced calorie diets, and I have promised my body to never do it again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I personally don't think the NHS should necessarily be pushing any particular diet: What I would like to see is them encouraging the use of self-testing and educating people how to use the results to control their diabetes. For some (most?) people that will probably be a reduction in the amount of carbs, but a broad brush "drop the carbs" diet isn't necessarily the best approach IMO - for example, some people can eat more carbs than others and some people will also need to reduce their protein.

The person with the diabetes is the best person to decide what works for them and the current insistence that T2 diabetics shouldn't test is the most damaging "advice" coming out of the NHS at the moment as far as I'm concerned and for that reason I won't be signing this petition

75Bedford

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There is a petition currently running entitled "NHS to encourage the treatment of type 2 diabetes with a low carbohydrate diet". So far it has attracted a paltry 358 signatures. It needs 10,000 to invoke a reaction from HMG and 100,000 to get a chance of being debated in the House of Commons.

If you want to help raise the profile on Low Carbs you can find the petition here: https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/125704 and hopefully we can get a debate on the issue.
Done

swarnag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I too signed. Even though I don't Totally agree with the petition if we can get the parliament to discuss it, it will be very good for the diabetics also it will light on current wrong government guidelines.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I too signed. Even though I don't Totally agree with the petition if we can get the parliament to discuss it, it will be very good for the diabetics also it will light on current wrong government guidelines.

Reading other posts, I think it'll actually reinforce the guidelines.
We're saying a 800 calorie, weight reduction diet is the way forward.
So, basically, all diabetics are overweight, and need to go on a diet, and lose weight.
The classic stereotype there.
(And when you look at the fat in the shakes, actually low fat is the diet recommended)
So I didn't sign it.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Professor Taylor used a low calorie diet, he never once claimed it was low carb, in fact proportionally, it was high in carbs, so if it gets the required number of signatures, it won't be debated for long.

Possibly it should be reworded to stress the calorie restriction, at 800 calories for the 8 weeks.

The shakes may be proportionately high carb to their calorific value, however, with three shakes a day, that's 60gr carb. Obviously there are a few carbs to add in the portion of vegetable recommended.

As I understand it less than 130gr is considered low carb. I have also seen 150gr quoted. Indeed on this page: http://www.dietdoctor.com/how-low-carb-is-lchf , even Diet Doctor suggests 50-100gr per day equates to liberal LCHF.

I have mentioned in the past that I have corresponded with Professor Taylor, directly. although not in recent months. During one interchange, I asked what dietary recommendations he made, for post-study maintenance were made to his participants who were considered to have reversed their T2, with a view to continued reversal. His response was along the lines that aside from ensuring they were clear that regaining weight would be extremely unhelpful, and that that probably involved eating smaller portions (and pre-diagnosis), ongoing diet was their choice, but that many did elect to follow a low-carb diet.

I'd agree with @Brunneria that the petition is written very badly drafted..