Forgotten tablets

chefdee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi hoping someone can help, I've come away for the weekend going home on Sunday, I take one saxaglipton 5m each morning and two slow release metformin 500mg in the evening....I have stupidly come away without the metformin, anyone know if I can just take another saxaglipton instead or am I being silly

DannyS

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
being late
Chefdee,
Go to a chemist in the morning and explain the situation I think they may be able to give you a couple of tablets.

Danny

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
don't worry.

Just pick up where you left off with the metformin when you get home.
It is a drug that builds its effectiveness over time (something like 2-3 weeks, I believe), so while you would ideally take it every day, if you are consistent the rest of the time, 2 days off won't be an issue.

The problem with metformin is when people don't take it consistently, because then it doesn't get the chance to build up, and then they don't get the benefit from it.

Hope that helps.

I'm not familiar with saxaglipton, so can't comment on that one. :)

chefdee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
don't worry.

Just pick up where you left off with the metformin when you get home.
It is a drug that builds its effectiveness over time (something like 2-3 weeks, I believe), so while you would ideally take it every day, if you are consistent the rest of the time, 2 days off won't be an issue.

The problem with metformin is when people don't take it consistently, because then it doesn't get the chance to build up, and then they don't get the benefit from it.

Hope that helps.

I'm not familiar with saxaglipton, so can't comment on that one. :)

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As DannyS says, if you're in the UK, go to any chemists, and pick up an emergency prescription.
Or leave it until you're home on Sunday, it wont make much difference overall to you for a couple of days.
I've taken to keeping blister packs of my meds in all my cars and trucks, and packed into my grab bag, so I've always got something with me.

chefdee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you so much, that's a great help, I'll stop worrying
As DannyS says, if you're in the UK, go to any chemists, and pick up an emergency prescription.
Or leave it until you're home on Sunday, it wont make much difference overall to you for a couple of days.
I've taken to keeping blister packs of my meds in all my cars and trucks, and packed into my grab bag, so I've always got something with me.
Thanks everyone, I will have a word with a pharmacist tomorrow, but won't panic if they can't help, I won't forget them again