Has anyone given up chocolate?

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
I've gone the other way...after 25 years of no choc I now eat usually 85% Lindt Dor probs 3 days a week 2-4 small squares.

No a single headache now in 15 weeks....I just can't believe it:)

adrian29459

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No harm in the odd Freddo every now and then, cheap and a perfect 10g carbs :p

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am trying sooooo hard to give up chocolate, or at least cut back. It's not helping that the vending machine at work is faulty..... When you choose C4 you automatically get whatever is in C5 as well! Today it was bounty and galaxy caramel, yummy! I could hardly concentrate on work but managed to resist just this once. I usually buy the 2 and eat both of them within 10 minutes of each other. To me an open bar is a finished bar. I'd love to be able to eat one square and leave the rest but with the temptation and lack of willpower I'm a lost cause! Chocolate is definitely my downfall as I can be really good with all the other aspects of diet and low carbing. I've even been known to eat cooking chocolate in moments of desperation. I always used the excuse of comfort eating but it's basically any excuse..... Whether I'm happy or sad, wanting to celebrate or commiserate, sometimes even just out of boredom or habit, as I said any excuse

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Over the top political correctness
Cadburys, you can't beat the stuff. Have to say though just recently i have reduced my intake of sweet stuff namely chocolate since starting on the pump, i did the same last October after my DAFNE course.

Regards
Martin

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
Nope. I've been diabetic 16 years and always had chocolate. I just bolus and munch. :)

Karenchq

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have the odd bit now and again it as my BG levels more stable. Mine is not only chocolate but fruitless and starburst! I do not have them too often but I find I become fixated and have to have it, trouble is one but leads to another! I did not find it difficult to give up cakes pastries etc! I might blood test a cake and see what happens! All things in moderation as long as you test! It's very hard especially as I am on school holidays! Have you tried Werther's sugar free butter candies? They are quite nice, cheapest place to buy them is Tesco X

Great expression "blood test a cake" ;)

tinyfilosofer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Nope. I've been diabetic 16 years and always had chocolate. I just bolus and munch. :)

Agree. I think sweet choc deprivation affects type 2 more than type 1. For me I just read the label, do some maths and match insulin with the carb intake. Not always accurate (sometimes I over inject), but then I monitor BG and eat more choc!

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@tinyfilosofer chocolate isn't the best choice as a hypo treatment - it's too fatty, so slows down the glucose absorption.

I've sometime given up chocolate for lent (not really religious, but I figure I get all the fun of Christmas so should probably do lent). Doesn't really count though, cos then there's Easter!

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Realised now that even though I'm only eating 85% choc, i'm eating too much, maybe 4 cubes when I do eat it, say 3 times a week and on that volume it is spiking me by 2-3 mmol

tinyfilosofer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Check the label and divi that out into cubes. For me 10g carb between meals is a freebie. Anything else require an injection. You can find out how much is your freebie by keeping 3 days of constant and then taking some carbs in between and see how much you can take without spiking your sugar. Long and arduous task. I did it religiously for 2 months to find the right balance.

Reactions: 2 people