Treats

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I completely understand the importance of healthy eating and exercise as a type 2 diabetic which I do 99% of the time. Just wondered how dangerous is it to the body to have the occasional high bs reading after a treat? For example, would having a bar of chocolate once a week be harmful to the body? I am not on insulin, just Metformin so can't compensate.

Reactions: 2 people

Mini24

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I completely understand the importance of healthy eating and exercise as a type 2 diabetic which I do 99% of the time. Just wondered how dangerous is it to the body to have the occasional high bs reading after a treat? For example, would having a bar of chocolate once a week be harmful to the body? I am not on insulin, just Metformin so can't compensate.
Hi how did you find out you had diabetes. Also my doc wants me to go on metformin do you have any problems with it mini 24

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi how did you find out you had diabetes. Also my doc wants me to go on metformin do you have any problems with it mini 24
Just routine blood tests. I've not had any problems with Metformin slow release but it's important you take with food and plenty of water. Good luck!

tpaz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Cardio exercise
Sometimes we can handle 'treats' with no major effect to our bg levels. It really just depends on the person. Maybe a whole bar of chocolate would send your levels high, but a piece of Kit Kat wouldn't do much. It would just depend, you'd have to test to see how things affect you personally.

There's also no sense in depriving one's self. If I absolutely need a cookie, I'll have one. If I don't, I end up compensating by overeating other things, or by binging on a whole bag of cookies a few days later. I do try to time it out though, so if I'm craving a treat, I'll have it before or after a work out, then I'll know I've burned it off.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The occasional treat won do any harm and you might be surprised at how well your body copes with the odd treat once your diabetes is under control. Just test before and two after and Im sure you will be fine.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have treats, but I've worked on having a selection of low carb ones that I can turn to, so I can enjoy them without ever having to feel guilty or worrying about glucose spikes...:D

Robbity

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I think we all pig-out occasionally with higher blood sugar as a result. Do try 85% Dark Chocolate e.g. Green & Blacks which has very low carbs.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
When I started lchf I bought low carb treats from Amazon but soon discovered they are full of protein which ups my bgs too.
So I now have that treat but go strict low carb afterwards to compensate otherwise one treat leads to 2+3. Carbs cause carb cravings.
If it's a carb craving - make your next meal very low carb can block the craving. If the meal is due or bring your meal forward an hour but no more.
Most likely is a carb craving mind.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would just try two or three squares of the 85%+ cocoa content bars occasionally. Only treat I have these days I'm afraid.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I would just try two or three squares of the 85%+ cocoa content bars occasionally. Only treat I have these days I'm afraid.
Yes, that's what I have occasionally too! I just want to know the facts of how sugar affects our bodies as a one of hit as apposed to a lifetime of a poor diet.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just arrived home from work to find my almost 5 yr old granddaughter had been busy making Scone's.
I was lead to the dining table by her with the promise I would keep my eyes closed.
On the table we had 8 Scone's and a special one for me, not to big because I'm on special medicine ( insulin, but that's special in a 5yrs old world).
It was the best scone I can remember eating for a long time.
Am I concerned about high sugars for an hour or so?
Am I hell as like, far more important things than diabetes in life. Seeing the pride on my granddaughter's face being one of many.
99% good 1% bad sounds like a good return to me.

Reactions: 8 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Yes, that's what I have occasionally too! I just want to know the facts of how sugar affects our bodies as a one of hit as apposed to a lifetime of a poor diet.
Some research suggests spikes can cause damage to the vessels in the eye. Extreme highs and lows but the fast correction which may prompt the problem more.
I guess insulin uses more prone to quick corrections.
Other complications are risked at bgs over 7.8mol/l which sugary treats always take me closer to ketoacidosis than nerve damage, for me but ketoacitosis is from long standing high bgs not a one off. However for me it takes days before my bgs have corrected after a treat, even on insulin.
Please keep this in mind.
Does regular chocolate only give you a few hours of high bgs iver 7.8?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Some research suggests spikes can cause damage to the vessels in the eye. Extreme highs and lows but the fast correction which may prompt the problem more.
I guess insulin uses more prone to quick corrections.
Other complications are risked at bgs over 7.8mol/l which sugary treats always take me closer to ketoacidosis than nerve damage, for me but ketoacitosis is from long standing high bgs not a one off. However for me it takes days before my bgs have corrected after a treat, even on insulin.
Please keep this in mind.
Does regular chocolate only give you a few hours of high bgs iver 7.8?
Oh blimey no! I haven't eaten a chocolate bar since I was diagnosed in March. I have had a couple of slices of cake which took me to the 12 mark 2 hours later. It was at a time on holiday when I was literally walking all day so I was soon back down to 6.
I don't eat bad foods regularly but it seems even the odd treat can do long term damage then? I do have signs of retinopathy.