Holiday hypo help

Puntsdog

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I am just wondering if anybody can suggest something I can use on holiday in case of a hypo. The criteria (besides the obvious) is that it should weigh little, be small, work fast and not melt or turn to goo or mush in the heat. Oh and no liquid either. I am by no means new to this game but I am a little stuck for an answer here. For me a handful of jelly babies for example does not really do the trick. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.
Thanks

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Have you tried Kendal mint cake? Morrisons jelly beans work very well and are 2 carbs each

billywhiz2

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I am just wondering if anybody can suggest something I can use on holiday in case of a hypo. The criteria (besides the obvious) is that it should weigh little, be small, work fast and not melt or turn to goo or mush in the heat. Oh and no liquid either. I am by no means new to this game but I am a little stuck for an answer here. For me a handful of jelly babies for example does not really do the trick. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.
Thanks
Dextrose tablets

Puntsdog

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dextrose tablets
I was brought up thinking Dextrose Tablets were the thing to use but they never seemed to do anything for me. I'd end up eating half the packet waiting for things to happen. Maybe it was just my impetuous nature as a youth. The upshot is that I have no faith in them these days. Thank you though.

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dates work for me. And they are higher on the glycemic index than dextrose.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Dates work for me. And they are higher on the glycemic index than dextrose.
Dates may be a problem if going abroad due to the rules and regs regarding foodstuff coming in and out of the country with passengers. I'm assuming OP is going abroad as sunshine was mentioned :)

johnbear2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
conservative polititicians
Hypostop,you get it from the diabetic shop

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i guess @johnbear2 feels he's been put in his place good and proper @CarbsRok - I'm sure you didn't mean it quite like the way it could be construed - :nailbiting:;)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Plain sugar cubes. Approx 3g in each cube according to my current nurse.. 5g each cube according to my previous nurse.
I just put them in a tiny tupperware sort of container. Carry one in my bag, got one on lounge table, one in bedroom and one in glove compartment of car.
You can carry as many as you want, never melt, no "best before date"...
If wanting really light stuff and you have a source of any liquid always at hand.. Glucose powder from Boots.. Just a couple teasoons in any drink and you'd be fine...

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Mind you if going abroad.. Glucose powder could be mistaken for drugs:(:(!! Plain sugar cubes.. And they do actually taste great.
Many miners etc in the old days used to eat sugar samwichs..honest they are brilliant. Far better and melt better and hugely cheaper than glucotabs etc...

B583

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
MARMITE!!
when on hols, previously, as I took lucozade to treat, when hypo abroad I got what was like this. Not taking anything with me, because of restrictions onboard planes etc. I paid for items when I got there or required it. Majority of places have foods for low bloods :)