First visit to Diabetes Nurse.

Cranfield

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I clocked into the Greetings section here on Tuesday and had my first appt with the Diabetes Nurse yesterday.
I had copied the suggested questions I found on here and added a few of my own.

The Nurse was very pleasant and obviously had a "script" for the session.
I found out that my blood glucose/sugar reading was 63, which is not as bad as I thought the GP had said.
I get one Review in 6 weeks, following another blood test and that will also be 12 weeks taking the tablets.
Future Reviews will probably be 12 monthly.
I will not be required to test my own levels.

She is making a retinal screening appt, but has no plans at present for a dietician, or "structured education", unless we both think its necessary.
When I asked who I should contact with questions , she gave me the diabetes.co.uk website address, so I did come to the right place.:)

We had a quick chat about my eating/drinking habits and she made some suggestions, but we were running out of time, so she said that we would continue that at the next session.

It was a useful session, but I think much too much time was taken up explaining the history of diabetes and all the "technical" aspects around it, such as the history of various treatments, debunking myths and general stuff.
I would have preferred a "you've got it and this is what me and you are going to do about it".

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That sounds like a much more comfortable meeting than some I have read on here. Good luck to you.

Heretic1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes!
have preferred a "you've got it and this is what me and you are going to do about it".
That is exactly what I got. My PN has been brilliant so far. I've had 2 appointments over the last 3 months with another next week. Equally she has pulled together all the 'prodding and poking' and 'educating' I've now been subjected to. She has also said if you need us or want us, just book an appt and come and see us. I know some experiences differ, but can't fault mine - she has seen how I've struggled with it all. The NHS is writ g for me!

Reactions: 2 people

Cranfield

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am remaining positive and reserve final judgement, but I have a feeling this may end up with me being given a DIY manual.
It could be because "63" is not too serious in the scheme of things.

notned

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes, cirrhosis, lymphoma, acronyms, green celery (because it's lazy), those computer programs that nag you night after night to download them and then, when you do, present reams of conditions and threats for you to accept before they'll run. DVDs that start with 5 minutes of threats - if I'd pirated it, then I'd surely leave those out.
I got that manual (I think) but don't hold your breath, it's not as long (or as useful) as Daisy's intro.

I'm expecting my HbA1c to go up in September because of the year I've had. I don't think I can describe myself as LCHF anymore. I take carbs, (including no more than 80 - 100g of chips!) and everything else troublesome is weighed out and minimised. At this time I don't log my food intake either, but I consider that crucial to getting on top of it.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Do buy yourself a meter despite what the nurse said. I'm amazed and pleased that she mentioned this website - very enlightened

6cats

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was told to use this site as a First and Foremost. Got more answers, support and sensible constructive advice from this site than from my entire GP Practise. Do test it's the most must have tool for diabetics. It makes much more sense of things and allow you you to see how you are progressing and what changes you need to make. Keep a food diary as well. Good luck. X

davecatt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've not seen a ' Diabetic Nurse' but had appointments with the 2 PN's at the surgery; both gave me different advice, even down to one recommending this site, and I'm glad she did, however the other nurse didn't, saying it was full of adds trying to sell things!!
I've been basically left to get on with it, again it may be because my figures aren't too bad.
Good idea on the food diary and self testing as it's helped me understand what spikes my B/G.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not wishing to pour water on anybody's fandom but the nurse usually says go to Diabetes UK which is the name of the other lot .. most of us then look for diabetes.co.uk which brings us here. At least I'm positive my nurse meant them and not us.. Luckily I had already found this site by then.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is strange the various levels of care and support offered in different areas.

I saw my GP for diagnosis and then again at 3 months. I only saw the Diabetes Nurse at my annual review, and by then with an HbA1c of 22 there wasn't much she could say, other than that it might be a "little" low and to think about reducing the Metformin I'd stopped taking 9 months previously.

I was basically left entirely on my own, but in the end I seem to have made a decent enough job of it.

Reactions: 3 people