Need help!

Chantel19uk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm just a newly diagnosed type 1 and I'm having a really hard time keeping my blood sugars in between the numbers there suppose to be. But it's really hard. I could really use help from other diabetics and information and how to keep them below 10 because for the past 2 weeks they have been between 10 and 20 the highest they have went is 24.8 I haven't a clue how to keep it proper. And also does anybody know if you can get an insulin pump in Northern Ireland as I would find it a lot easier than insulin injections.. Any help or information would be greatly appreciated

MickyFinn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It's early days for you in learning how to manage type 1, so don't panic yet. Speak to your diabetes nurse as they may have to adjust the amount of insulin you take. They should be able to get you a place on a carb counting course.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @Chantel19uk
welcome to the forum.:)

I know it can be really hard at first because there is so much to think about and remember.

first advice -- try your very best to keep in a routine -- so getting up at about the same time and testing straight away.
eating your meals at about the same time each day , try to stick to a few meals that you like and don't eat big whopping meals.
do loads of testing -- and record your results -- and then most importantly be kind to yourself ( oh yeah and be on the phone all the time asking for help from your diabetic nurse to help make adjustments to your insulin )

keep posting here loads too -- cuz we are a helpful bunch

all the best !

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hopefully they have you on a Basil Insulin (Long acting ) for the nights and a fast acting insulin for meal time. If you're newly diagnosed I suspect your health team is using caution and started you off with low doses of insulin with the intention of creeping the dosage up based on the results of your Blood Sugar Levels.

Don;t worry if your BS Levels hit 20 or higher. That's going to happen as you determine what foods have what impacts on your blood sugar levels. The real danger at this stage of the game are low blood sugar levels that could render you unconscious and make you feel really bad.

Don't even try for perfection. Just try to get your Blood Sugar levels within that acceptable range during the days and once your in target (most of the time) start working on your night/early morning levels as most Type 1s find that the most challenging including myself.

Don't succumb to any pressure tactics from your health team either. The most common statement I hear from Health Professionals is that if you don;t have tight control you will have complications. That may not be the case - there is still a lot of debate over this. You could have very poor control of your Blood Sugar Levels and not have any complications or you could keep very tight control of your blood sugar levels and still have complications.

To qualify what I just said, it's important to try and maintain good control but don;t get yourself too upset if you don't from time to time.

From some of the Genetic research being done on Type 1, Researchers are starting to hypothesize that Genetics may play a very large part in whether you experience complications or not. I for example, although I've been responsible for the 50 years I've been living with it rarely have a H1AC in the 6s - I usually land in the mid 7s, there were a couple of times where I was in the low 8s. And yet I have no complications, I look 10 years younger than my actual age and am still athletic. I've known other Type1s who have been more responsible than myself, have better HA1Cs and yet have experienced several complications.

So test frequently - usually 1.5 - 2 hours after eating. Keep track of what you're eating and map that with your insulin dosages and any physical activity you may be doing. You will find that with some foods you hardly need any insulin while other foods it's like you're eating candy. And foods high in fat take longer to metabolize so you may get the resulting sugar spike to your levels much later.

I'm still making adjustments, unfortunately as we age our bodies start reacting differently. We don't have static bodies, I give myself less insulin now when I did when I was in my 20s - so just try one shot at a time until you get a regimen that works most of the time.

Chantel19uk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's early days for you in learning how to manage type 1, so don't panic yet. Speak to your diabetes nurse as they may have to adjust the amount of insulin you take. They should be able to get you a place on a carb counting course.

I haven't been told anything about carb counting, they diagnosed me straight after I gave birth to my soon nearly 4 months ago now. And I seen my diabetic nurse last week all she did was adjust my night time insulin. That's all.

Chantel19uk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hopefully they have you on a Basil Insulin (Long acting ) for the nights and a fast acting insulin for meal time. If you're newly diagnosed I suspect your health team is using caution and started you off with low doses of insulin with the intention of creeping the dosage up based on the results of your Blood Sugar Levels.

Don;t worry if your BS Levels hit 20 or higher. That's going to happen as you determine what foods have what impacts on your blood sugar levels. The real danger at this stage of the game are low blood sugar levels that could render you unconscious and make you feel really bad.

Don't even try for perfection. Just try to get your Blood Sugar levels within that acceptable range during the days and once your in target (most of the time) start working on your night/early morning levels as most Type 1s find that the most challenging including myself.

Don't succumb to any pressure tactics from your health team either. The most common statement I hear from Health Professionals is that if you don;t have tight control you will have complications. That may not be the case - there is still a lot of debate over this. You could have very poor control of your Blood Sugar Levels and not have any complications or you could keep very tight control of your blood sugar levels and still have complications.

To qualify what I just said, it's important to try and maintain good control but don;t get yourself too upset if you don't from time to time.

From some of the Genetic research being done on Type 1, Researchers are starting to hypothesize that Genetics may play a very large part in whether you experience complications or not. I for example, although I've been responsible for the 50 years I've been living with it rarely have a H1AC in the 6s - I usually land in the mid 7s, there were a couple of times where I was in the low 8s. And yet I have no complications, I look 10 years younger than my actual age and am still athletic. I've known other Type1s who have been more responsible than myself, have better HA1Cs and yet have experienced several complications.

So test frequently - usually 1.5 - 2 hours after eating. Keep track of what you're eating and map that with your insulin dosages and any physical activity you may be doing. You will find that with some foods you hardly need any insulin while other foods it's like you're eating candy. And foods high in fat take longer to metabolize so you may get the resulting sugar spike to your levels much later.

I'm still making adjustments, unfortunately as we age our bodies start reacting differently. We don't have static bodies, I give myself less insulin now when I did when I was in my 20s - so just try one shot at a time until you get a regimen that works most of the time.

Yeah I'm on a long acting one at night the levemir and during the day I'm on novorapid. I had good control during my pregnancy but near the end it got worse, then after I gave birth it was perfect for about a month then it went really bad and that's been nearly 4 months since I gave birth now

Chantel19uk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Chantel19uk
welcome to the forum.:)

I know it can be really hard at first because there is so much to think about and remember.

first advice -- try your very best to keep in a routine -- so getting up at about the same time and testing straight away.
eating your meals at about the same time each day , try to stick to a few meals that you like and don't eat big whopping meals.
do loads of testing -- and record your results -- and then most importantly be kind to yourself ( oh yeah and be on the phone all the time asking for help from your diabetic nurse to help make adjustments to your insulin )

keep posting here loads too -- cuz we are a helpful bunch

all the best !

It's hard to get up at the same time everyday as I go to bed late and then I'm tired in the morning and it's a lot harder to keep control with a nearly 4 month old baby. I just don't find the time to do it at the same time everyday and I'm always tired during the day too. Like sometimes I'm sitting on the sofa and nearly pass out I'm that tired cause I get up every hour to use the toilet and my son sleeps all night. Which is the worst thing. I just don't know what to do. I'm also on anti depressants if that could make my blood sugars be that high? It's just nobody in my family at all had type 1. Some family members had type 2. But it's completely different so I can't ask anyone I know.

Reactions: 2 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I haven't been told anything about carb counting, they diagnosed me straight after I gave birth to my soon nearly 4 months ago now. And I seen my diabetic nurse last week all she did was adjust my night time insulin. That's all.

Carb counting is the key to good control. Ask about being taught that as soon as you can.

In the meantime, you can do a kind of simplified version by eating the same meal a few days in a row, and testing your blood sugar before and two hours after the start of your meal. That will give you an idea of whether your insulin dose is right for that particular meal. That way you can hopefully get some 'safe' meals that work for you and that you know the amount of insulin to have with them.

Diabetes is harder with a baby. It's harder because you can't control or plan your day. But getting those highs reduced will help you sleep better and feel physically better.

It's not right that you're struggling on your own. I strongly suggest you push your DSN for more support and more help and advice about your diabetes control. And your GP too, for that matter.

Chantel19uk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Carb counting is the key to good control. Ask about being taught that as soon as you can.

In the meantime, you can do a kind of simplified version by eating the same meal a few days in a row, and testing your blood sugar before and two hours after the start of your meal. That will give you an idea of whether your insulin dose is right for that particular meal. That way you can hopefully get some 'safe' meals that work for you and that you know the amount of insulin to have with them.

Diabetes is harder with a baby. It's harder because you can't control or plan your day. But getting those highs reduced will help you sleep better and feel physically better.

It's not right that you're struggling on your own. I strongly suggest you push your DSN for more support and more help and advice about your diabetes control.

The thing is I seen my diabetic nurse last week and she said I'm doing well. Seeing them all that was it and uped my night time insulin that was it. Il be mentioning about the carb counting because ive been hearing a lot about it. I just haven't a clue how to do it. Thank you for the advice and information I really appreciate it

MickyFinn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was diagnosed in November last year, the diabetes nurse at the hospital mentioned carb counting at the time of diagnosis and I was on a carb counting course in December. If I was you, I would ask about it, everyone on here will agree that carb counting is pretty vital to managing diabetes alongside taking a long acting insulin.

It's no surprise you might be struggling a little to get your bg levels under control, you haven't been given the info or the tools to adequately do so, that is hardly your fault.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's good theyve upped your night time insulin. Hopefully, that will help with all the nighttime toilet visits. Give it a while. They may up it again, but obviously this has to be done gradually and carefully.

Really push politely but firmly to be taught carb counting. You don't even have to go on a course to be taught the basics. I was taught by a dietician when I was diagnosed, and I really wish that was still done for everyone now. Carb counting is crucial.

Keep testing your blood sugar. I know you must be busy but if you can jot a few notes about when you're going particularly high (eg after your evening meal or whatever) it should help the DSN make adjustments.

Ideally, as you learn more, you'll be able to,adjust your insulin yourself, but at the moment you need the support of your DSN so don't be afraid to phone them and tell them that.

Your avatar pic is lovely. Congratulations on the birth of your son :)

Chantel19uk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's good theyve upped your night time insulin. Hopefully, that will help with all the nighttime toilet visits. Give it a while. They may up it again, but obviously this has to be done gradually and carefully.

Really push politely but firmly to be taught carb counting. You don't even have to go on a course to be taught the basics. I was taught by a dietician when I was diagnosed, and I really wish that was still done for everyone now. Carb counting is crucial.

Keep testing your blood sugar. I know you must be busy but if you can jot a few notes about when you're going particularly high (eg after your evening meal or whatever) it should help the DSN make adjustments.

Ideally, as you learn more, you'll be able to,adjust your insulin yourself, but at the moment you need the support of your DSN so don't be afraid to phone them and tell them that.

Your avatar pic is lovely. Congratulations on the birth of your son :)

Yeah I will be making sure I ask about carb counting, thank you so much for this advice, and thank you :)

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
awwww hun !!!!!!
it is never easy doing the diabetes cuz usually life gets in the way.
I didn't think keeping to a routine would be easy -- but it is something to try and keep in your mind as a goal to aim for.

with a young baby you will be putting baby first.
i would seriously be speaking to your care team to help support you in getting the D controlled.
glad your insulin has been upped .

keep talking here and ask about a carb counting course as soon as they will let you do one !

xx

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you want to make a start on carb counting etc take a look at the BDEC course linked from the useful links section: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/useful-tools-and-links-for-t1ds.88209/

Very very useful to get you started on carb counting and correction doses etc but do speak to your team and ask about DAFNE.
Also while pumps are a great tool please don't think they are a golden bullet that will fix everything and mean you don't need to worry, they are a lot of work (as many of the pumpers here will confirm I am sure).

The first thing you need to do is let you condition settle down, keep in regular contact with your DSN (ask for an email and phone number) and make sure you keep accurate logs of your food, insulin and BG. Try and avoid thinking of your BG readings as good or bad, it is a data point and it is what you do about it that could be good or bad.

The team at the hospital can only help you if you give them honest data, but they will help you.

But as I said, while you are waiting take a look at the BDEC online course until you can get on a DAFNE course to get the full picture.

You will get there, it took me months to get a handle on My D.

Best of luck and ask away, there are hundreds of years of experience in the forums and we are all in this together :)

/A

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
The BDec course mentioned above is helpful. Do you see a dietician? Mine ran me through carb counting so if the nurse is not listening re-carb counting ask for a dietician appointment.
It can't be easy being so tired with your little one, once your bloods are lower it will all get easier. X

SurreyDad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm no expert but my 5 year old daughter was diagnosed with T1 about 4 months ago. Surely carb counting is pretty important and you should have been spoken to about this already? The point of carb counting is that you give yourself insulin to combat what you are eating.

Good luck