Hba1c

chri5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone, I have posted elsewhere that I have been seeing elevated bg levels due to hayfever and that I was dreading my Hba1c. well I have just had it and it`s 39 again:joyful::joyful::joyful:! Last few Hba1c`s were:
October 2015....38
February 2016....39
August 2016....39
I honestly believe that I can attribute this to a low carb diet and that I don`t think it would have been possible without the help and support of several people on this forum, I can only thank you for helping me to find this new lifestyle (quite a few people think I`m weird but what the hell) My GP now wants to review my meds, as I`m only taking metformin (500mg x 2 daily) I assume he wants to take me off them completely, I don`t know yet what to think about this and would appreciate any input that you may have. Once again I offer you my heartfelt thanks for your invaluable knowledge and support. Chris.

Reactions: 2 people

Kingofnowhere

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

Well done...I got down to 39 about 2 months ago, and the GP let me come off my met (500mg x 2 daily). I said I would keep an eye on blood sugar and if it went wrong, I would come back and see her.
Anyway, had a couple of high readings in the first week (I think my liver was enjoying being released), and then it settled down, about 0.2 higher on average over the month. Then after a month, it fell to the same average blood sugar I had before.

My advice would be to try to see how you get on without it, and you get problems with Blood sugars, just go back to the GP and explain, and go back on them.

Ohh only problem, is you won't get free strips from GP, if you are off medication....Well that is what I was told.

HTH

Mark

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If you are happy with the metformin, this will act as a long term insurance against diabetes returning and protecting your endocrine system.

Well done!

Reactions: 4 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you tolerate metformin well, there are many health benefits to staying on them, especially for cardiac health. More and more research is going into metformin it seems, especially as for its effects on longevity/all cause mortality.

Reactions: 4 people

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Great HbA1c result @chri5! I'm due to have my 12 month HbA1c at the beginning of September. Actually it will be 13 months as I put it back to try to minimise the effects of hayfever. I'm hoping to get a reading in the 30s too.

chri5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Great HbA1c result @chri5! I'm due to have my 12 month HbA1c at the beginning of September. Actually it will be 13 months as I put it back to try to minimise the effects of hayfever. I'm hoping to get a reading in the 30s too.
Looking at your record I don`t see it being a problem, best of luck:). Chris.