Diabetic 2 Year Old?

MrsMummyHenry

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Other
Hi there,

I'm wondering if anyone can help shed some light on our recent events with our 2 year old boy (1 of 3). His blood sugar was tested by chance at a check up appointment regarding a cough he had after I expressed how often he needs to wee, it was 10.9 & the gp asked me to take him to the children's ward as soon as possible.

We stayed there over night to monitor his levels & he had 2 sets of bloods done. In the morning the consultant explained the results showed another count of 9.7 as well as the 10.9 that his pancreas is still making insulin but it's looking likely that this may stop & he would be diagnosed diabetic, we wereassigned a diabetic nurse & sent home with a glucose monitor then scheduled in to speak with the pediatric diabetes consultant.

His counts at home have ranged between reasonably "normal" 4.2 - 8.3. I'm a bit confused & don't really understand how they are almostcertain that he will eventually be type 1 diabetic? Has anyone elsebeen through a similar situation or know more about it than I do?

Thank you
icon_smile.gif

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @MrsMummyHenry :)

it sounds like they've caught things early. It's not unusual to have some normal sugars just before or just after diagnosis. Your son will still have some islet cells working (albeit less than he should if he does have diabetes) and these can keep the blood sugar ok-ish until they too fail over time and can't make enough insulin to control blood sugar.

Tagging @1Sarah1 for you as she has a T1 child of a similar age

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @MrsMummyHenry my 2yr old daughter was diagnosed a few months ago. It is commonly know as honeymoon period whilst insulin still produced naturally. When are you testing your son for his readings ie before or after meals? What does he normally eat-ie low sugar/carb meals? Is he quite active too?

My daughter is on a tiny amount of insulin to control hers. She naturally drops overnight too.

I think you are doing the right thing monitoring him I think a clinical diagnosis is at 11mmol ish (don't quote me on it). What is your dsn saying?

It's hard if you have other children too. Here if you need anything xx

Reactions: 2 people

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi again forgot to say are you testing for ketones?

MrsMummyHenry

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Other
Hi @1Sarah1,

Thank you for replying. I have heard of the honeymoon period my auntie who is a nurse had 2 daughters who both have type 1 from a young age & 1 had the "honeymoon period". It's frustrating because I'm inclined to feel that he is fine.

At the moment we have been told to test before main meals & once during the night although I have been doing extra 2-4 hours after just for my own peace of mind, he has a healthy diet however he loves his fruit & his favourite thing is spaghetti. We don't really have much "junk" in our house at all just don't really buy it. He is out with his dad all the time & is very active.

We are meeting with the consultant this week so at the moment we are all in the dark a bit, I have 2 other sons so it is a bit of a handful

We weren't ask to check his pee for ketones?

Thanks again! X