They shrunk the Lidl Rolls :(

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all....not sure where to post this, but just an observation. Just picked up some Lidl High Protein rolls and thought they looked kind of small compared to usual. Weighed them when I got home and find they have shrunk from an average of 115g to 91g !!! Not sure if this is just a bad batch or if it is the new weight they intend selling them at

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Thanks for the heads up - I will check next time I buy some.

On the upside, they will probably have even less carbs per roll.

Reactions: 6 people

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Noticed this yesterday when I went to Lidls for my weekly supply . They are definitely a lot smaller than the ones already in the freezer .

Reactions: 2 people

al_leister

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Greedy Humans.....greedy animals I don't mind. I do like meat and fish but choose not to eat it!
Half a loaf is better than no bread at all:) they don't sell the rolls in Northern Ireland. :-(

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

Griffter15

I noticed this too. Was hoping it was just a bad batch as the previous size was as for me they are a little on the small side for a sandwich

Reactions: 4 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmmm it's looking like it's permanent then :(.....they seem to have followed so many manufacturers and dropped the item size while keeping the price the same.

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am actually happy with the slightly smaller size. While trying to put weight on (yes I know that's unusual) I went onto eating a whole one everyday but now I just need to keep my weight atable and thought I would have to go back to half a one, I'm sticking to a whole one for now.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I went to Lidl today and bought my usual hoard of 10 rolls. They didn't look smaller, so I weighed them. All around 132g.
Mine definitely are not smaller.
I wonder if it depends on the bakery. Mine are made on the premises.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I tried to see if I could manage bread and decided to try an Aldi's bake at home dinner rolls with seeds. (Very high carb though). Their packaging stated 8 rolls at 65g. Inside their was 11 rolls at 83-89g.... I complained. Told them how dangerous this was for diabetic's and they seemed to disappear off the shelves after my 2nd complaint when I bought more 3 weeks later. Hubby loved them but no good for me..gggrrrr.

So Aldi's (or the manufacturers) were really going to be giving away their products. Not often I complain for companies giving away too much but in this instance I thought the inaccuracy was huge.

It would be interesting whether Lidl have lowered their carb count on their nutrition data...

XtractorFan

I went to Lidl today and bought my usual hoard of 10 rolls. They didn't look smaller, so I weighed them. All around 132g.

Lucky you! - most of my freezer stock work out at about 120g, but the 'new' rolls come out at less than 100g. That's 20% reduction in weight for the same price, or a +20% price increase - shame on them!
I noticed the reduction last week and also hope it was a 'blip' but asking the staff (who hadn't noticed) they said they just baked what is shipped to them in the frozen state. So shops selling large rolls must be using up old(er) stock.
For the past 9 months they have been a vital part of my LCHF diet - half a roll at lunchtime didn't spike my readings.
Now it looks like I'll be going back to a single slice of Burgen (£1 for a loaf at the local Asda) - they are higher in carbs/slice but the Lidl rolls are now not good value.
New v Old sml.jpg

Old v New sml.jpg

Perhaps it's part of their Brexit revenge.......

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I prefer the new size for my sandwich but must admit one cracker less won't make much difference to me but we'll see.
Expensive crackers thou.
Like everything low carb its exorbitant compared to high carb.
It's wrong!
I prefer smaller size but should be cheaper, I say.
Accumulative costs of being low carb is rising. Just like the old days.
Maybe tesco need to make their own in England? Maybe with a softer top would be perfect for me.
@KevinPotts can you use your previous skills as MD to harvest the low carb industry to our advantage? I'll be one of your buyers. You just have to ask!
We need someone whose prepared to force the industry into competing for a huge portion of the food market.
Times have changed.
We need low carb not high carb anymore. This is irrespective of the brexit.
Britain is more than capable of grabbing the market and shoving it into the right direction. You never know it could become one of the biggest export from UK.
Even 3rd world is struggling with diabetes. It's not just a 1st world disease.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
I prefer the new size for my sandwich but must admit one cracker less won't make much difference to me but we'll see.
Expensive crackers thou.
Like everything low carb its exorbitant compared to high carb.
It's wrong!
I prefer smaller size but should be cheaper, I say.
Accumulative costs of being low carb is rising. Just like the old days.
Maybe tesco need to make their own in England? Maybe with a softer top would be perfect for me.
@KevinPotts can you use your previous skills as MD to harvest the low carb industry to our advantage? I'll be one of your buyers. You just have to ask!
We need someone whose prepared to force the industry into competing for a huge portion of the food market.
Times have changed.
We need low carb not high carb anymore. This is irrespective of the brexit.
Britain is more than capable of grabbing the market and shoving it into the right direction. You never know it could become one of the biggest export from UK.
Even 3rd world is struggling with diabetes. It's not just a 1st world disease.

I agree with all you say. The food industry is consistently moving towards resolving what they refer to as "niche opportunities", surely Low Carb has to be one of those:).

XtractorFan

I agree with all you say. The food industry is consistently moving towards resolving what they refer to as "niche opportunities", surely Low Carb has to be one of those:).
Please NO, if Low Carb goes the same way as 'Gluten Free' then more products may become available, but the prices will rocket.
For most consumers Gluten free has become a fad or 'trend' whether they need it or not.
Just think how much Broccoli will cost if it gets a 'Gluten Free' label......

Reactions: 6 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmmm I need to investigate this further. Several are saying they found them to be smaller so I need to ask questions about this. Smaller is okay and better than nothing but I prefer the bigger size

Reactions: 3 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmmm I need to investigate this further. Several are saying they found them to be smaller so I need to ask questions about this. Smaller is okay and better than nothing but I prefer the bigger size
Update......I am on to Lidl about this and they will get back to me on Monday with the official take on the smaller rolls. I will let you know what their response is

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In my view the Lidl rolls may be baked in-store, but I doubt the dough is prepared from raw ingredients in store. It is far more likely the rolls, pastries etc., arrive at store in an un-baked, ready made, frozen state, with each batch put in the oven to cook. On that basis they can claim they are baked in-store, because they are.

It seems likely to me that the portions have been adjusted at the central preparation factory.

Curiously enough the other day when I was in Lidl, replenishing the AB yoghurt lake, the chap on the check-out till mentioned to a colleague he couldn't stay on the check-out too long as he'd have to fet a bit more baking done. Had he been in since stupid o'clock making several variants bread dough, sweet and savoury pastry and croissant, I doubt if he'd infill anywhere. He'd finish a bit earlier like the posties do.

Where some shops are still producing the larger rolls, perhaps they just haven't used up all the big ones yet, before moving onto the smaller batches.

I could be very wrong, but if they do any more than baking from frozen, I would expect much more variation in size, and quality/flavours from store to store.

6cats

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Why don't Lidl make a loaf of bread not just rolls? Would be use for sandwiches or toast?