Type 1 Longer Needle's

Hlt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey there x. I've just joined & my name is Helen. I'm type one. I'm very overweight, size 20!, & I have noticed that it takes very long for my insulin to bring my sugar levels down, even in the morning when all I have is a strong black coffee. Is it possible that because I'm overweight & the needle is too short, the insulin I take is just getting into the fat in my body & not getting straight into my blood. If yes, that would mean I need longer needles?

Hlt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks noblehead x. Maybe I am too bloody impatient! It takes hour's for my levels to come down. I'll check out your link xxx

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Yep! Got it :). I'm inpatient ;-) x

Not at all, we all want our bg levels to stay in range, as said no harm in discussing things with your diabetes team.

Reactions: 2 people

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Do you have any idea how long insulin takes to act?

I found that over time I build resistance to insulin and had to swop from novo to humalog. novo was taking 2 hours to start, humalog worked in 20 mins.

Its also well known that dawn phenominon causes insulin resistance in the morning so dont be too hard on yourself about weight!

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Where are your sugars to start with? I'm partly guessing here and don't know this for fact, but 2 things I think might also impact this are increased sugars and increased BMI reducing insulin sensitivity?
Also, if you are taking insulin for just a black coffee, then it sounds like you are taking a correction dose? This suggests you are either running high over night, experiencing Dawn phenomenon or even going hypo and experiencing the symogi effect. If it is any of these, then the insulin could appear to be not working, but is in fact simply countering the raising BG?

jharding

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If the insulin is taking awhile to work could it be worth moving your injection to before the meal (say 15 minutes before) so the insulin is working as you eat. Or trying to eat more low GI foods so that the immediate carb intake is a lower hit.

(And strong black coffee should lower blood sugars as that (along with whisky) was the treatment for diabetics pre-insulin :) )

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Can you tell us more about your insulin regime; I assume it's Basal/Bolus? Your weight level may mean you have some insulin resistance which would slow the effect of insulin. Are you having a low-carb diet which is important for both T1 and T2. Presumably you had the tests for T1 and therefore currently you may be both T2 and T1 until weight and insulin resistance fades; I'm guessing of course. Yes, do discuss the needle length with the nurse. 4mm is now the most common but it's possible a longer one would suit you better.

Tanny35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I find I have one arm that for some reason tends to work quicker than anywhere else. Dunno why - but I always use that arm for a correction. Do u change your sites ??

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
I tried a 6mm needle and now on a 4mm (32G) and there's no difference in absorption and the larger needle hurt more as is obvious lol. :)