6 Month Review Since Diagnosis

Ellie's mum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Today is Ellie's 6 month review with her consultant at the hospital.

Really not sure how this appointment is going to go as her bloods have not been behaving themselves recently. Unexplainable random highs that lead to correction doses or dramatic drops in blood levels (hyper to hypo in less than 2 hours with no corrections in between!) We've been in very regular contact with her DN who, as always, has been amazing suggesting ways to adjust ratios etc.

Yesterday things were worse than ever. Everything was fine all morning and afternoon but when we got to tea time she was at a 10! Counted the carbs as usual, followed the insulin advice on her machine, which also suggested a correction. Checked 2 hours later and she's a 13.8! Nothing different in what she ate/drank etc. Decided to wait a little before correcting and check again an hour later. This showed up a 15.0! Another correction dose was given followed by constant blood/ketone checks through to midnight. Midnight came and so did another hyper of 15.5! Correction dose given and more testing. At 3.20am she had eventually come down to an 11.5. Not really low enough but low enough for me to be able to sleep but I forgot to turn the alarms off and was up again at 5.30am

Bloods before breakfast were 7.7, I have a feeling today is going to be a very long day

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @Ellie's mum
just a thought -- has the insulin been in the pen for a long time ?
with children generally on low doses of inulin the pen will be at room temperature for a while and could possibly have lost its effectiveness.
Insulin is meant to last 4 weeks from taking out of the fridge but changing to a new cartridge to be safe can't hurt

Reactions: 2 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
ok -- so is she coming down with anything ---cold , ear infection , painful tooth etc etc
this will certainly affect BG's

and sorry for this one -- but could it be a possibility she has "snuck" a treat without saying

I know Ellie has not been diagnosed long and will be honeymooning right now -- but sometimes Blips can show up during this and cause insulin requirements to change.

Ellie's mum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
No sign of illness so far. No need to be sorry about the treat we've had words about that before but no treats this time.

Your right about the honeymooning, she has been since 2 weeks after diagnosis. I'm starting to think it could be slowly coming to an end though as bloods have been increasing and ratios are changing slightly most weeks

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Ellie's mum I find I need more insulin to correct if my BS goes above 12. Sometimes I need quite a bit more. It may be worth asking about that at the review. I also find if I'm high and then eat, my BS stays up and it's a struggle to get it down (even if I correct along with my pre-meal bolus). If I 'have to' eat, I try to eat slightly later after my bolus to give my BS a chance to get down a bit. I also sometimes have less carbs than usual - again, to limit the rise.

It's possible, as @himtoo says, that her honeymoon is coming to an end. For me, the first sign of that was going higher than I should have done after meals. However, it could be a growth spurt, the weather, the Summer holidays, or just one of those annoying things.

Ellie's mum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Like you both say so many things could of caused it. Just a bit worrying when we've been able to control it before just not this time. Guess we'll just have to see what the consultant says later x

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Ellie's mum my daughter been having highs too. I actually think it's been the hotter weather that's done it. Hope the review goes ok x

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
None of those numbers make me panic at all. She's a child and things will be up and down. You don't need to be perfect straight away. She's doing great <3