Over reacting maybe

mobrien

I have only been diagnosed since 2nd Dec 2009 I even know the time. At the time my appointment with the DSN went something like "come in, sit down" followed the instructions I was then told "Well I can confirm you are diabetic how do you feel about that?" After I took a deep breath I told her I knew nothing of the disorder and knew nobody with it, she gave me the normal spiel and asked if I would like to come back a few weeks later to discuss it further and that I should bring my wife. So in we trot a few weeks later and the DSN starts to explain the diabetes thing again only this time I am able to grasp the information she gives me. We book to go on a DESMOND course and go through it. Because I am a systems engineer I hook up to the net and get as much info as I can knowledge is power and all that and go on the DESMOND quite happy in the knowledge this thing of ours will not get me down. DESMOND was good it scares the life out of you and mad me think this is a more serious disorder than I first suspected so I put my mind to doing things right in 9 weeks lost 2 stone (good for me) Eating only 3 times a day my snacking has stopped etc and I have my Blood sugar down to 6.5.

Now heres my catch whenever I try to talk about the subject with the wife she keeps saying "look you only have diabetes is not going to kill you" but I kinda get the picture that its a degrenerative disorder and if I do not take care one of its wonderful side effects will get me. Anyone know how I can convince her I am seriously worried about all aspects of the disorder and being 54, overweight (still) high BP (160/110), High Cholesterol (7.8) heart attack/stroke waiting to happen here and just to top it of I tend to suffer kidney stones (they really hurt)

Any ideas

Katharine

Poorly controlled type two diabetes is indeed a serious disorder but well controlled type two diabetes need not be.

Well done on the weight loss. With your engineer brain in gear it should be possible for you to devise and eating, exercise and stress management plan for yourself that will give you normal blood sugars and a return to normal metabolic function.

It is likely that you have had daily habits that have slowly led your body to develop diabetes. It is perfectly possible to reverse this process.

The broad outlines for success are:

1. low carb diet. Cut out sugars and starches. Base meals around protein and low starch vegetables.
2. Exercise regime that incorporates resistance/weight training in addition to other things eg walking, yoga, golf or whatever else you fancy.
3. Get enough sleep. Manage any stresses as well as you can.
4. Consider vitamin D supplementation.

The How to course at www.dsolve.com should be helpful for you.

Welcome to the forum.

dragongirl

Hi mobrien

Katherine is right and I wouldn't contradict her expertise. I just thought I'd mention something else. Often when one of a partnership/marriage/whatever pulls hard in one direction, the other person feels obliged to pull equally hard in the opposite. it's just one of those human things. Maybe your wife sees how seriously you've taken this diagnosis and is worried it's stressing you out, so she is trying to make light of it, perhaps (lovingly) in a desire to make it easier for you. Actually, as with most things, the truth lies somewhere in between! But you are absolutely right to beware the bad things that can happen - and in time, it will settle down a bit because you are taking control of your life and it will return to a bit more like normal and manageable and second nature. Maybe then your wife will feel a bit more free to express some worries herself and you'll be able to reassure her. I doubt she's in total denial!

And maybe I am totally up the shoot. You can always ignore me! But well done on the improvements you've made. Takes guts.
DG

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
mobrien,

Men are from Mars and women are from Venus.

Need I say more..... :wink:

PS - congrats with your new regime. I have similar problems to yours........including my wife! :lol:

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Hello mobrian,

Well done on your achievements so far! :D

I would agree totally with what Dragongirl says in her post. Your wife has probaby also been scared to death and it is probably her way of trying to calm the situation down. Just remember that stress causes high BG levels! :roll: And also that, if you say it in the right way, 'yes, dear' is often the right thing to say! :lol:

Just keep on keeping on with what you are doing! 8)

kateincornwall

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who lie , animal cruelty , boredom and pineapple !
Hi , I can really empathise with your situation . I have been a carer for my disabled husband for several years now and healthwise , my life has revolved around him and his needs, his operations, his treatments etc. and so for me to be in good health is of prime importance, for both of us ! I was diagnosed early last December and have come under the impression that my husband doesnt understand , doesnt want to understand and doent really care . Last week was a bad one for me for other reasons and I did break down in tears, which I rarely do and out it all came . I now realise that he has been scared, not for himself but for me and my future , maybe its the same for your wife ?

cocacola

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
celery, not eating chocolate
Well done on the weight loss and trying to improve yourself. I was diagnosed 2 years ago. My hubby went with me to the diabetes seminar, so he knows what I should and shouldn't eat.
He is a bit of a cake, biscuit eater himself. I have tried to persuade him not to buy cakes, too tempting for me :lol:
I have done well this week, since my BG went up over Christmas, blame the Quality Street :lol: I am now on new meds, Sitagliptin, as well as my Metformin. Over the past week my BG levels have come down from 7.8 to 5.7 :mrgreen: I think a combination of low carbs and diet.
But I know as soon as I get stressed I will turn to chocolate :roll:
Keep up your good work and maybe you could work on a healthier diet together. I also agree with those that have posted above, your wife is trying to make light of the situation, so as not to worry you.

mobrien

Thank you all for the advise it is much apprieciated to be honest I am that wrapped up in myself at the moment I never looked at it from the other side :D

thanks again

cavelioness

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Ardbeg said:
mobrien,

Men are from Mars and women are from Venus.

Need I say more..... :wink:

PS - congrats with your new regime. I have similar problems to yours........including my wife! :lol:

NOOOOOOOOOOO men are from earth and women are from earth .........deal with it :twisted:

Giblet

mobrien said:
54, overweight (still) high BP (160/110), High Cholesterol (7.8) heart attack/stroke waiting to happen here and just to top it of I tend to suffer kidney stones (they really hurt)

I'm with you on the Kidney stones!. I'm a nice placid chap, but when I was hospitalised with kidney stones last year, they had to get security up to restrain me whilst they administered the Morphine because I was so agressive :shock: I spent the next week apologising to the nurses :?