Quick and easy breakfast ideas

Catk90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Can you all give me some breakfast inspiration!? I never have time in the morning and end up grabbing a banana on the go but am starving by 10am. What low carb breakfasts can I have that are super quick?!

MickyFinn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Can you all give me some breakfast inspiration!? I never have time in the morning and end up grabbing a banana on the go but am starving by 10am. What low carb breakfasts can I have that are super quick?!
Omelette or scrambled eggs along with whatever you like. Omelette's you can throw various things like mushrooms or herbs in.

Reactions: 2 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How many carbs are you aiming for? I generally have cereal and that keeps me full until lunch, but if you're low carbing then I guess that might be too many carbs? How about hard boiled eggs and Mayo? Cheese and oatcakes? Greek yoghurt and strawberries? Cold meat?

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other

I find the breakfast hours are the most difficult for me. I swear, just the stress of waking up and getting out of bed causes an elevation in Blood Sugar Levels and I've never been all that hungry the first couple of hours of the day.

What works for me - a small Greek Yogurt with a handful of raw walnuts and usually not until an hour after I'm up. It may not sound like much but this comes from someone who for the longest time didn't eat breakfast.

RhettsHeir

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve found a couple easy , low carb breakfasts. Cottage cheese, (I eat about 3/4 c.). I sprinkle some Splenda and some cinnamon on it. And cooked whole oats. They take about 50 min. to cook, but I make a week's worth at a time and nuke a scant cup or so, add a little half and half. It’s quite tasty, and not ***** like rolled oats. I sometime substitute a slice of real whole wheat bread with butter. (Cottage cheese may be called something else in the UK. Milk curds? It’s lower carbs and higher protein than yoghurt .)

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
I usually have time to cook but hard boiled eggs and omelettes aren't too time consuming and very healthy for diabetics. :)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Frittata can be cooked, cooled and cut into portions. Wrapped in foil a portion can be nuked, if you want it warm, or can be grab and go, in it's ready fitted foil coat to be snaffled later, or on the move. Fill with anything you like.

Cooked bacon. Cooked sausages can be grab and go too, like the frittata. Crustless quiche (millions of recipes out there; similar to frittata to be fair.

As I eat a reduced carb diet, I tend to think of those sorts of things first. I live this site, which tends to do lots of aggregating from other sites and bloggers: http://www.ditchthecarbs.com/2014/07/04/top-20-low-carb-breakfasts/

Good luck!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@Catk90, if time is limited on a morning you could also make the omelette (@eddie1968 suggestion) the night before to eat on the go.

Personally I always make time for breakfast, always have done no matter what time I started work on a morning:)

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Avocado or guacamole with celery is my go to BF. Or I put mustard and may with a s,ice of turkey on a big piece of lettuce. Neither soike bs IR insulin to no need to eat for hours. Finding a filling bs stabilizing BF was hard but I found it.

ninasings

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals, Ignorant behaviour, Misogynists
I find a protein breakfast best for me...though gluten free porridge made half and half with almond milk and water is good to go til midday. Kippers and scrambled egg. Frittata great...halloumi cheese friend with tomato etc I'm ok unless I'm staying with friends etc and then it all goes to pot...