Carbohydrate Counting Course

Luke2709

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Good evening! I see that quite a lot of you that have attended a Carb Counting course have done the DAFNE course. Are there any of you that have attended the the BERTIE course? This is the course I have just completed. Is this just down to location?

gem09

Good evening! I see that quite a lot of you that have attended a Carb Counting course have done the DAFNE course. Are there any of you that have attended the the BERTIE course? This is the course I have just completed. Is this just down to location?
I did the BERTIE course as it came up quicker, I was on the list for it and DAFNE and the waiting time for DAFNE is about 3 years in my Base hospital so it just went to a different location,made no odds because it's the same trust. I did my pump course with people who had done both and one who was type 2 and did DESMOND, made no odds, we all know the principles just talk about things differently elone example; I was taught to count CPs where as DAFNE does 10g. I interchange now when I'm speaking about it. Other slight differences but nothing that has either hindered or helped in comparison to other patients.

I think the most important thing is 1. You and your willingness to learn and engage with the course and it's principles and 2. The teacher! I know all of the DSNs, dieticians and consultants because they are all my colleagues! But there are definitely better teachers than others in a big bunch. Not disparaging anyone it's just that some people are better at "classroom" work than others.

Reactions: 2 people

Luke2709

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I did the BERTIE course as it came up quicker, I was on the list for it and DAFNE and the waiting time for DAFNE is about 3 years in my Base hospital so it just went to a different location,made no odds because it's the same trust. I did my pump course with people who had done both and one who was type 2 and did DESMOND, made no odds, we all know the principles just talk about things differently elone example; I was taught to count CPs where as DAFNE does 10g. I interchange now when I'm speaking about it. Other slight differences but nothing that has either hindered or helped in comparison to other patients.

I think the most important thing is 1. You and your willingness to learn and engage with the course and it's principles and 2. The teacher! I know all of the DSNs, dieticians and consultants because they are all my colleagues! But there are definitely better teachers than others in a big bunch. Not disparaging anyone it's just that some people are better at "classroom" work than others.
Hello @gem09! Did you do your DAFNE course in Bournemouth by any chance? This is where I did mine. My Diabetes care has recently been moved to Bournemouth Hospital. I was really pleased with the course content and the quality and attitude of all of DSN's that taught the course.

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Luke2709 - yes I did the BERTIE course over 3 years' ago in Surrey. Made some great friends on the course, learned loads & really enjoyed it! Glad it went well