Type 2 Can Poeple with Diabetes add Honey to thier Oats for breakfast, if not what natural sweetner is ok.

Joe_Quartey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Wanted a discussion on the use of honey as part of breakfast added to Oats. If it is a no go area , what could be a substitute which is natural without side effect and no impact on blood sugar

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm certain that there will come a time when you can have a small amount of honey on your porridge. But, as a newly diagnosed T2, honey is really not recommended nor if you have a monitor would be the porridge.
However, if you do have a monitor, you can test and find out.

After a while if you go low carb, the need for sweet things on foods will disappear and foods will taste better without them!

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would think the Oats will do you far more damage than the Honey.

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
You can choose to eat what you like but there are consequences. Some type 2 diabetics find that just trying porridge spikes their bg levels. Adding more sugar (honey) will only push it up further, but there are commercially available substitutes although how 'natural' they are I have not researched. If you want a cooked breakfast why not try something egg based, savoury and may be microwaved. If it is something quick and easy you want try natural yoghurt with a few berries, they are plentiful and cheap at this time of year. Whatever you do read the label for the portion size guide. Let your meter show you what you are doing to yourself and then decide.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with the others. Oats are as bad as sugar (honey), and more so if the porridge is made with milk.
If you have a meter, test before and a couple of hours after to see what it has done to your levels.