Dexcom CGM not lasting as long

Platinum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My Dexcom G4 CGM sensors used to last three to four weeks. The last four I have used have struggled to last two weeks.

Has anyone else noticed this? Why might it be happening?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I know, just that people are reporting shorter accurate life with the G5.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Yes I've noticed a difference as well and the sensors are not very accurate to put things mildly.

Platinum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’ve not noticed any decrease in accuracy, just time they are working – It’s probably not significant, but I think it started with the first batch I purchased direct from Dexcom after Advanced Therapeutics stopped selling them.

My consultant has applied for funding, so hopefully it won’t matter (Price wise!) to me soon.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've not noticed any difference in sensor life (I'm still getting 3-4 wks), I have noticed its becoming harder to keep them stuck on with skin tac.

Platinum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I could not get on with Skin-Tac, so I use Hypafix tape (On prescription) which works a treat.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I could not get on with Skin-Tac, so I use Hypafix tape (On prescription) which works a treat.
I've got and tried hypafix, have found for me its not as good as skin tac - but might go back and try again.

cz_dave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have always been able to get 2 weeks out of my Dexcom sensors but very seldom much more than that.

cz_dave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have just inserted a new sensor. The previous one lasted 2 weeks and one day.

Russem

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am new to the CGM G4 so this is my first time using them, I am now over 3 weeks and it is still going and accurate. I have been refused funding as my health board has said there is no more funding available even though my consultant said I needed the GGM as I have no hypo awareness, so I'm self-funding just now but not sure how long I can keep this going so to get at least 3 weeks with 1 sensor it has been a bonus.

Reactions: cz_dave

Casper60

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My Dexcom G4 CGM sensors used to last three to four weeks. The last four I have used have struggled to last two weeks.

Has anyone else noticed this? Why might it be happening?
same here not a happy bunny as it's costing me more money now. in the past I got nearly four weeks out of it. going to ring dexcom and find out what's happening. will let you know their response.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
same here not a happy bunny as it's costing me more money now. in the past I got nearly four weeks out of it. going to ring dexcom and find out what's happening. will let you know their response.
Erm, I suspect they'll say "So what" as the sensors are only warranted for 7 days.....

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just following up, BTW I agree with Tim.

I'm still getting 4+ weeks with mine.

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
I personally suspect there has been a change, as my sensors are now lasting between 2 and 3 weeks, having previously always lasted 4 weeks or longer, but, as already said, sadly we must look at anything more than 7 days as a bonus.