Freestyle libre CGM

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi
So I am seriously considering getting a CGM now
Is the freestyle one the better one to get interns of longer use- 14 day wear instead of Dexcom which is just 7 days
How do people find the libre?

Many thanks

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Libre is 14 days end of story, it's also not a CGM and has never claimed to be. There are thousands of posts regarding the libre so search the forum.
Dexcom usage varies most get at least 14 days from the sensor with many getting 3 - 4 weeks from one sensor.

Reactions: novorapidboi26

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I LOVE the libre and have been using it for 2 years now. I was looking at cgm as I have a vibe but then libre launched. I never tried the Dexcom so can't directly compare. The insertion for the libre is very simple and I find the sensor very discreet. With cgm to get the most for your money you have to use it continually whereas you can take a break from libre easily. I find the cost of the libre works better for me too. I don't need hypo alarms as I have good warnings. There is a libre facebook group which you can join to see lots of people using it and how they get on. Hope that helps :)

Reactions: Energize

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks will have a proper look at there website, I mistakenly thought the Libre was a CGM
Seeing pump nurse tomorrow will have a chat with her about it

David Wass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My diabetic nurse gave me a libre as a test due to me having intravenous steroids and its ability raises blood sugars. It takes an hour once the sensor is attached to you. The equipment is amazing i use my phone to monitor my sugars. I actually find my phones app is better than the scanner it comes with. My only draw backs are it took over 24 hours for it to actually callobrate to what my sugars levels matched with my my BG star and even now its not an exact match. Its told me my levels are to low to get a reading when actually I'm fine. The great advantage us it lets you know which direction your levels are going from extreme rising to slow rising to level ish and visa versa. Libre were very helpful as i contacted them and I explained what was going on and they sent me another for free £60 worth. If they could get a closer match I'm would be very willing to continue paying for the sensors. Its pain free though i must admit i am cautious with it sleeping on 1 side only youbcan buy dressings that go over the top which will last for the 14 days as its not extremely sticky. Contact your Diabetic nurse as libre sales people are going around asking people to be guinea pigs so you never know you maybe given one for free. In my opinion its fantastic just get it closer to what sugar levels actually are worth every penny then. I understand that the sensors have been updated and are giving a closer reading si fingers crossed.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
If you are interested @Jessd , I wrote a blog post comparing the two here.

My basic conclusion was:

"The difference between the two is in whether you want a continuous stream with alarms or something you manage in a similar vein to fingerpricking. Both will provide information pertaining to the continuous data but they are simply different.

Having used both of them and bought Libre as a cheap way into CGR, I personally prefer theDexcom approach. I don’t like the prices but I like the way the information is available to me and using the #wearenotwaiting approach has reduced the costs substantially. I also like the idea of having an alarm there in the background to warn about highs or lows overnight (even though they don’t happen very often). It’s certainly reassuring. "

Reactions: MushyPeaBrain

asa35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Jessd, I've been on the Libre now about a year - I do really like the idea of its convenience, especially when out and about, you can do very discreet tests. The reports are ideal for emailing to my hospital for them to analyse and report back on. A couple of points you'll find are that the scan readings will be a little different to finger tests because of the different types of testing, and also when doing scan tests, it doesn't allow you to use the calculator settings for inputting Carbs and insulin. The main drawback of this is your correction settings aren't used, so you will need to finger test if unsure.
The costs for the sensors do add up though (£50) every 2 weeks. Trouble is you start to rely on it too much!!
Wouldn't be without it though, really glad I bought it, mainly to see the graph readings for what goes on in-between meals and during the night ; got quite a shock, but this enables you to make adjustments accordingly.
Good luck.

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for the info my nurse reckons it'd be good & worth trying. She said everyone she knows who's had it has good things to say & found it really helpful!

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
I have a libre but stopped using it due to inacuracies. I would pay but would expect it to be bettter. It is usually 2.5 %out to my bolus expert meter. They did replace me one but was difficult to get. First 7 day's is better with last 4 day's not good at all. Though if i get a pump I will give one another go.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I have a libre and its really good with accuracy to my expert meter.

Had ambulance out a few weeks back and the libre and expert were really close, but the paramedics True strips were showing4.0 lower!!

Don't forget that a libre is about 30 mins behind real blood on a strip.. So if your blood is changing rapidly it could show a larger difference.

I've had mine 10 weeks now and got given their readers by the hospital today.

My individual funding request for the libre also went before the CCG panel today. I should hear within 5 days whether I will be funded...

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
If you put your next sensor in 24hours before the old one is due to run out it will have stabilised in that period.. And should be pretty accurate from the time when you take the old one off..

Reactions: MushyPeaBrain

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I got refused for Libre funding... HOWEVER!! I did get funding for 3months for a CGM. Now just wIting for my first appt at my new hospital!! (Next week)...

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was very keen on the Libre but have recently been told that it is no longer advised to give insulin based on its numbers. It's definitely useful but its accuracy can vary wildly so don't trust it for treatment decisions!

jrussell88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The Libre tends to be less accurate outside the normal range. The Glimp app reads the Libre sensor and uses fingerstick readings to adjust the readings. It works well, even for 'faulty' sensors, but I'd still check with a fingerstick at least daily.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have a libre and its really good with accuracy to my expert meter.

Had ambulance out a few weeks back and the libre and expert were really close, but the paramedics True strips were showing4.0 lower!!

Don't forget that a libre is about 30 mins behind real blood on a strip.. So if your blood is changing rapidly it could show a larger difference.

I've had mine 10 weeks now and got given their readers by the hospital today.

My individual funding request for the libre also went before the CCG panel today. I should hear within 5 days whether I will be funded...

Is it really as much as 30 minutes behind.....?

If that is the case how does the readings from it help in real time blood sugar management......are you able to correct accurately....?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is it really as much as 30 minutes behind.....?

If that is the case how does the readings from it help in real time blood sugar management......are you able to correct accurately....?

Mine is about 10 mins behind - at times of rapidly rising or falling bg.
Since I try to keep my bg as steady as possible, I rarely have rapidly rising or falling bg, so it is very accurate for me.

Each sensor seems to be consistent (say 0.1 or 0.3 mmol/l below a comparable prick test), although I have noticed greater variance for the first and last days of the sensor life. The next sensor will be different, but will stay consistent across its life.

I have been very lucky, and in about 10 sensors, over the past year, I have never had to contact Abbott and ask for a replacement.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Abott recommend fitting a sensor for at least 24 hours before activating it so it's more accurate when you start using it.

Where do Abbott recommend that? It's been a while since I used a Libre, but the box content and the website certainly don't say that.

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Where do Abbott recommend that? It's been a while since I used a Libre, but the box content and the website certainly don't say that.
Don't know if or where it's in writing but their rep mentioned it at the trial day I attended