8 week blood sugar diet

Billy007

Morning folks, type 2 and completed the 8 week blood sugar diet, 2 shakes and vegetables for evening meal per day. EXTREME, but persevered. Hba1 now down to 6.3 from 8.6, lost almost 1 stone, so pleased with numbers. But, now I am experiencing horrendous amount of hair loss. Has anyone else had the same symptoms?

paganlass

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
nhs. religion for the sake of it.
I did this year's ago wen I wasn't diabetic. My hair fell out because my body was in shock ( doc said) . It's too extreme for the body to cope with. To this day 16 yrs on my hair has never recovered and never will. It is extremely thin especially at the front where sometimes it looks almost bald. The weight also spirals out of control as soon as you stop. It's just not worth it. I'm sorry to give u a downer you would be better on lchf.

Reactions: Freema

PosyPip

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I think @paganlass is being a little pessimistic. I did the Blood sugar diet Feb to April this year. I can't comment on the hair loss as I didn't experience it, but I have not put on weight since, in fact I have continued to lose, but much more slowly of course. I have been strictly LCHF, although I have to keep a little control over the fat I eat, as too much causes weight gain for me.

Well done for achieving such a great HbA1c in a very short period of time. I hope the hair loss improves.

paganlass

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
nhs. religion for the sake of it.
Yes I was a little pessimistic. Sorry billy007. I didn't mean to make u sad. U have done very well. And I hope ur hair recovers. And ur weight loss continues to go down to where u need it to be. Sorry again. X

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Billy007
I had some hair thinning when I followed Newcastle diet method five years ago. Not much of a problem, as I have a good head of very thick hair generally, and the hair growth and thickness did return to its usual level soon as I increased the food intake again.
Of course, hair loss can be determined by gender, age, medication, and general health. I find hair condition improves if I have enough good fats in my diet.

Well done with the weight loss and BG control.

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
UKIP, royalty, football, gin, goat's cheese.
I started doing the 8 Week Blood Sugar diet, but only got about 3-4 weeks into it, then just went to a normal LCHF diet, and still continued to lose weight and my blood sugar levels have stayed down too, it could be you're missing out on vital nutrients, minerals or vitamins. You might want to try a multivitamin?

Neohdiver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hair loss is frequently associated with eating at a calorie deficit, as is regain of weight after dieting (mentioned above) if you don't carefully plan for how to eat at a maintenance after the diet.

I had hair loss on the Blood Sugar Diet - but no more than the less calorie restricted diet I've been on for nearly a year. I got 6 weeks into the Blood Sugar Diet and had to stop for cancer treatment. I lost a bit more unintentionally, but then maintained for 3 months - just as a counter-example to the assertion that you spiral out of control as soon as you stop.

I'm back on the Blood Sugar Diet and have lost 10 more pounds. I don't have a goal of weight loss, but it will inherently accompany eating only 800 calories a day for the period in which I am still hoping to trigger diabetic remission.

(Nothing wrong with LCHF for control - and if I fail at achieving remission that's what I'll be doing - but for most people the Newcastle/Blood Sugar diet isn't inherently harmful - or more prone to post-diet weight spiraling out of control - than any other diet.)