Injection sites and hypers

Pete_FMT

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am a newly diagnosed type 1 (3 weeks and counting). I am careful to keep to the same breakfast to avoid changing too many variables. I have started to get good bg balance (avoiding hypos an max bg around 14) up until yesterday when I had a huge hyper up to 18 which put me in a miserable mood all day.

This morning I have started the same again with my bg rising rapidly. The one similarity is that my insulin injection sites for both mornings was the side of the thigh. I know I am less sensitive to insulin first thing and have read that insulin is absorbed better in stomach injection sites but was wondering if anyone had experienced similar or had other though?
Thanks
Pete

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @Pete_FMT
I was on MDI ( multiple daily injections ) for about 18 years and so have had a lot of injections.:eek:

my experience is that thighs and back side are generally better for the long acting basal insulins ( lantus , levermir , tresiba )
and that stomach and upper arms best for quick acting insulin ( humalog , novorapid )

also -- as you are only 3 weeks into your journey remember that it is a learning experience and you can only learn what works best for you in real time-- so be kind to yourself .

Reactions: noblehead

Pete_FMT

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks, learning lots everyday. Just hate learning the hard way!
So many variables, so little time. In another 45 years by the time I hit 90 I might have almost cracked it.

Appreciate the response @himtoo. Pete

Reactions: Juicyj and himtoo

jharding

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Pete_FMT
I was on MDI ( multiple daily injections ) for about 18 years and so have had a lot of injections.:eek:

my experience is that thighs and back side are generally better for the long acting basal insulins ( lantus , levermir , tresiba )
and that stomach and upper arms best for quick acting insulin ( humalog , novorapid )

also -- as you are only 3 weeks into your journey remember that it is a learning experience and you can only learn what works best for you in real time-- so be kind to yourself .

We have always been told - and I think the manufacturers recommend - that stomach for "fast-acting" insulin and thighs/buttocks for "slow-acting" insulin. And obviously, rotate your injection sites! :)

Reactions: himtoo

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Over the top political correctness
Thanks, learning lots everyday. Just hate learning the hard way!
So many variables, so little time. In another 45 years by the time I hit 90 I might have almost cracked it.

Appreciate the response @himtoo. Pete
Sounds like you know a lot more after 3 weeks than i did at your stage 26 years ago.

If you would like to know more can i recommend this book, its an easy read and you will practically be an expert by the end of the year.
Think like a Pancreas by Gary Scheiner.

When i was injecting i would use my stomach for the fast acting and my thighs for the long acting really just to keep some distance between the 2 different types of insulin.

Regards

Martin

Pete_FMT

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks Martin. I bought that week 1 fortunately and it has helped no end. Am now like the rest of the forum highly recommending it to everyone, even my diabetes nurse who hadn't heard of it! Have now started rotating my sites differently, as before was mixing leg and body sites in the rotation. Now trying to keep lantus in the leg sites and novotapid in the body - oh and avoiding mashed potatoes. Is it just me or is that stuff like rocket fuel!

Thanks again all for your helpful comments. Pete

Reactions: Juicyj

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
we could ask Tim Peake for that answer -- LOL:)

some foods do better with some people and not as well with others

don't give up on mashed potato yet-- you could try injecting a bit earlier
say 20 or 25 minutes ahead with mashed potato.

another thing could be with only a few weeks in the bag ( so to speak ) your Insulin to carb ratios will need looking at -- but you should for now just keep good records of what you are doing and discuss with your DSN for guidance.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Pete_FMT. Sounds like you've got a hold of your diabetes.
So much to take in at the start and as diabetes is it always wants to change the way it tries to control our lives.
I'm sure your positivity will prove to be the solution to achieving great control.
As for mashed potatoes, no problem for me BUT baked beans, I only have to look at them and my sugars go through the roof.:)

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hey @Pete_FMT It's amazing what you learn about food and the impact of it on your BG levels, I used to eat loads of mash, big platefuls with gravy and sausages until type 1 and then learned it was like eating sugar ! There's no reason why you can't still eat it, but it's just working out your bolus pattern as you could take your bolus 20 minutes early to start work before you eat. I make my own sweet potato fries which are pretty good, just oven baked on baking paper in oil with a sprinkling of rock salt and cajun spices, it's all about flavour for me now. It's all about trial and error too, so you will learn over time what works and what doesn't.

Anyway it's brilliant you are getting clued up so quickly, well done, already you probably know more than your team, just by learning and living with this ;)