Glass of Lucozade made me feel terrible!!

Lucozade

Hi

Not diagnosed, been having symptoms of diabetes for some time, lost 21 lbs in a few months, very tired, thirsty, urinating constantly, especially at night and very sweaty and hot all the time.

I have noticed recently that when I drink my beloved Lucozade though that I start feeling absolutely TERRIBLE a while later. I had a pint of orange Lucozade in the late afternoon and by this evening I was collapsed on the couch, heart racing, sweat blasting out of me, shaking, boiling hot and feeling horrifically ill and very agitated. When this was happening before, I put it down to an infection or just doing too much and sort of ignored it, but it's happening more and more now, especially after sweet drinks or chocolates. I've done nothing but shovelling food in for a few months in a bid to regain weight, to no avail, even with high cal, high fat foods, weight gain shakes, litres of lucozade, etc. Again, I put the night time pee'ing down to some sort of bug and expected it to go away in due course.

Any ideas what this terrible feeling could be after a glass of Lucozade?

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
See a Dr. It is the symptoms of diabetes, but we can't diagnose on the forum.

Lucozade

That feeling that is coming on after glasses of sweet drinks, where I have to sit down and feel shaky and sweaty and ill, is that a symptom of diabetes? I had that feeling a few hours after the Lucozade and just before it got really bad, had just made a bowl of salmon and pasta and a while after eating that, I felt better.

Is it possible that even after the Lucozade (which surely should have raised my BG ) that I could swing low again? I don't know the difference between too high sugar symptoms and too low.

Sorry for all the questions, just very, very confused!

bufferz

get an appointment with your gp asap, in the meantime, the sensible thing would be not to drink it, at least in the short term...

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
As IanD has stated already, no one is in a position to make a diagnosis on this forum. The sensible thing to do is make a appointment to see your gp, and in the mean time keep off the lucozade as a precaution.

Nigel

Lucozade

Hi again, thanks for the replies.

I should clarify that I am not seeking a diagnosis here. I was simply asking what kind of symptoms do actually happen when high or low sugar situations occur, to see if I can, myself, spot any trends or patterns around what symptoms I get and when and any correlation with my foods and exercise, etc.

So, for clarity:

What are the symptoms of low sugar?

What are the symptoms of high sugar?

Can blood sugar swings up and down cause symptoms and if so, what kind of symptoms?

Any information appreciated.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi again,

I don't want to tell you what you should and shouldn't do, but why don't you get yourself along to your doctors surgery and have these syptoms investigated. Your gp will advise on matters and concerns that you may have, and this may put your mind at rest.

Best wishes

Nigel

victry77

I couldn't agree more with what the other posters have said. You've lost 21lbs in weight for goodness sake's, please don't waste your time posting on here and trying to find patterns in your symptoms. Go to your doctor! Alternatively, your local Lloyds pharmacy provide free on the spot blood sugar tests. This is how I was diagnosed. The pharmacist phoned my GP surgery right away and got me an emergency appt for later that day. By that same evening I'd been admitted to hospital.

If you have T1, you need to be diagnosed and quickly. So please get yourself checked out.

Lucozade

Some of these symptoms were already under investigation but I was sent to the wrong kind of Consultant in the past and the whole thing grossly mismanaged. I need further supporting evidence of exactly what triggers the intermittent part of the symptoms. Accordingly, there are substantive and complicated reasons why I have not gone to my GP as yet, however naturally in the fullness of time, I will obtain a medical opinion.

I am in my 30s so unlikely to be Type 1, however of course not impossible. Obviously if matters were to worsen, I would seek immediate medical advice, however in the meantime I do need to track things partially because there has been a long standing dispute between multiple Consultants and GPs in regards to medical matters. Technically, I believe that I need to see an Endocrinologist but I am being bounced between two other medical specialities, with neither party taking any ownership for progressing investigations.

Please, instead of lectures, I just need the information I have asked for.

Rivig

Get booked in at the docs pal, a fasting blood test will soon let you know if you've got diabetes, as mine did low 20's mmols.
Yeah high bg will make you feel awful, sweating, peeing, hot, as your body tries to rid the sugar, but these symptoms could be caused by a lot of other things too. Buy a monitor if you want to see your bg levels. But that wont get you the advice and treatment you need, no i'm aafraid a trip to the docs is the only way mate, good luck, and get tested soon.

victry77

No one is intending to give you lectures, but yes, your symptoms may be indicative of diabetes, or they may not. I don't know what other condition may be causing them because I'm not a medical professional. Have you ever had your blood sugard tested? If you're adamant about not going to your GP then go get them tested at your chemist. Boots also do there own home glucose testing kit for about a tenner. Before I went to Lloyds I bought one of these kits (as I suspected diabetes) and it showed up very high levels so the next day I got confirmation by getting the free finger-prick test from the chemist.

I'd lost weight (not as much as you, mind you), I felt unwell (now and again)and my vision was blurry. I was 30 when diagnosed as T1. Two other people were admitted to hospital same time as me with T1; one was 33 and the other 36.

Really, I would either just go get a free test at Lloyds or buy a kit so you have some instant idea of what your levels are, because as has already been said, your symptoms MAY be due to diabetes but that's about all anyone here can really tell you.