Need some support!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone. I've had T1D since I was 10; when I was 13 I started restricting and eliminating my insulin. This lasted 5 years before I began to recover, and although 3 years later I'm able to take most injections, my control is still considerably less than perfect. Today I was diagnosed with CRVO - central retinal vein occlusion. I am now permanently partially sighted in one eye. I can't stop blaming myself, as I feel that if I hadn't been so stupid in the first place this wouldn't have happened - even though logically I know it's not my fault. I'd love to talk to some of you about it to put my mind at ease!

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Hi everyone. I've had T1D since I was 10; when I was 13 I started restricting and eliminating my insulin. This lasted 5 years before I began to recover, and although 3 years later I'm able to take most injections, my control is still considerably less than perfect. Today I was diagnosed with CRVO - central retinal vein occlusion. I am now permanently partially sighted in one eye. I can't stop blaming myself, as I feel that if I hadn't been so stupid in the first place this wouldn't have happened - even though logically I know it's not my fault. I'd love to talk to some of you about it to put my mind at ease!

Hi. I would like to irritate you by placing emphasis on your own words "logically I know it's not my fault"...emm...just saying. Sorry to hear about your CRVO, and I hope it's only permanent in the sense of "currently permanent given current medical progress". You could blame yourself (even though you know it's illogical...although i do get what you are saying...we all do it for different things in life I guess), or you could remind yourself that a] you are human and b] what counts in now...what happens next...and that's all that really needs your focus. Bottom line, I don't believe we all choose out own cards in life....so we have to play the hand we have to the best of our ability. I am also sure, however, that even the game we are playing changes and we get new cards from time to time...and we need to be there to get those new cards. Sorry for the dreadful analogy! I don't even play cards! Anyway...take care of yourself and focus on the now.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Forget the past and focus on now and your future and promise yourself to do your Best from now on

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We all do silly stuff in our youth..

It's all about what you learn from the "class". ;)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @NorthernPrincess :)

What you describe is surprisingly common. You're not alone. Let me tag @jacqfromdwed for you as she has some good advice.
The important thing to focus on is that you're now taking your injections :)

Please don't blame yourself xx

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @NorthernPrincess
Living with Diabetes certainly puts extra pressure , both physically and mentally on daily life.
Dealing with a chronic life long condition is not easy.
so please don't blame yourself -- you are among friends that understand

Reactions: azure

lexxfromdwed

DWED Support
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Get in touch with DWED as an online intervention is happening, i think tomorrow is the last day you can sign up to it. Its really important to talk, you've come to the right place xx

Reactions: azure