LCHF versus family

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done pelirocco with the weight loss. LCHF means Low Carb High Fat :)
I tend to agree with Pelirocco (and others) that HF meaning Higher Fat is an acceptable interpretation. LCHF is difficult to run continuously in ketosis, and in fact many will use it and never go into ketosis. The High Fat is mainly required to supply fuel for ketosis to generate Glucogen for the brain and nerves to use instead of carb based glucogen. If ketosis is not fat burning, then this extra fat is unused calories that add to body weight whereas we are using LCHF supposedly for reducing adipose fat via ketosis. So advocating High Fat as being essential component of LCHF may actually be leading to poor lipid results unless ketosis is achieved regularly.

i have been using high fat as a means of weight control, and I can switch myself in or out of ketosis as I feel necessary for bgl and weight control. My weight has been stable for a year now since at 64kg I do not need to lose any more. My lipids were high on HF, but have now fallen to sensible levels, I still eat more fat than I used to on Eatwell#2 but I am careful to keep intake reasonable. I do not Fat Bomb or guzzle spoonfuls of olive oil as recommended by some adherents to LCHF.

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I tend to agree with Pelirocco (and others) that HF meaning Higher Fat is an acceptable interpretation. LCHF is difficult to run continuously in ketosis, and in fact many will use it and never go into ketosis. The High Fat is mainly required to supply fuel for ketosis to generate Glucogen for the brain and nerves to use instead of carb based glucogen. If ketosis is not fat burning, then this extra fat is unused calories that add to body weight whereas we are using LCHF supposedly for reducing adipose fat via ketosis. So advocating High Fat as being essential component of LCHF may actually be leading to poor lipid results unless ketosis is achieved regularly.

i have been using high fat as a means of weight control, and I can switch myself in or out of ketosis as I feel necessary for bgl and weight control. My weight has been stable for a year now since at 64kg I do not need to lose any more. My lipids were high on HF, but have now fallen to sensible levels, I still eat more fat than I used to on Eatwell#2 but I am careful to keep intake reasonable. I do not Fat Bomb or guzzle spoonfuls of olive oil as recommended by some adherents to LCHF.
Fair enough!

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Im lucky in a way that I do all the cooking in the house and unlucky at the same time as I eat LCHF, hubby cant eat too much fat, the teenagers are fussy and the pre schooler is even worse, luckily the 1 yr old is cruisy. Even though its tough at times I try to cater for everyone as I wouldnt want to ear stuff I dont like.

Etty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's taken 2 years of nudging and subterfuge with OH, but now booze and starchy carbs and most sugar are gone-- apart from a little dark chocolate and a daily half a choc ice in a pool of double cream. The transformation in OH's health and mood is so rewarding, it's been worth all the effort.

pelirocco

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well done pelirocco with the weight loss. LCHF means Low Carb High Fat :)
I know it is supposed to mean high fat .but it's a fine line between high fat and unlimited fat , especially if you have a weight problem ?.Therefore , rightly or wrongly, I am choosing not to go overboard with fat content

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
On Monday I returned to LCHF. My partner arrived home from the Doctors to say he had to follow a low fat diet. So we are now Jack Sprat and his wife. So far we have managed fine. I hope we can continue that way :)

Reactions: Brunneria

Doriand

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Political Correctness
On Monday I returned to LCHF. My partner arrived home from the Doctors to say he had to follow a low fat diet. So we are now Jack Sprat and his wife. So far we have managed fine. I hope we can continue that way :)
A lot of medical 'professionals' still bleat on about how bad saturated fat is and how we 'need' carbs to survive. All they need to accept is before the 1970's people were eating the LCHF way and obesity was unheard of. Since Ancel Keys (worth looking up on Google) made the Diet/Health HYPOTHESIS (yes, it's a theory NOT fact) and demonised sat fats, medical advice changed, diets changed and look at western countries now, around HALF the population is overweight Sweden is about the only country that is just realising this trend and has changed their food pyramid. Hopefully, more and more countries will follow suit...

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is interesting, should get the other half to read it.
.. LOW CARB DIETS ARE DANGEROUS

We already know the low fat diet currently recommended has resulted in rates of obesity, T2 diabetes and their associated complications like we have never seen before. Low carb diets are changing peoples lives, losing weight and getting many off their medications. Low carb diets have the potential to cure many of the health problems of the modern world. Low carb diets are consistently showing superior results and better outcomes.

Reduced body fat more than low calorie diets
Lowers blood pressure considerably
Lowers blood sugar and improves diabetic control
Increases HDL
Lowers triglycerides more than low fat diets
Changes the pattern of LDL from small, dense to large benign particles
Low carb diets are easier to stick to than calorie controlled diets