Carb content of certain foods

C

catherinecherub

Well that post was not directed at you raydavies. It was my opinion, something I am allowed to have? Carb content usually includes , "carbs of which sugars are x amount" and fibre is listed separately.

raydavies

Of course you're allowed your opinion, the quid pro quo is that others are allowed their's.

I understand that the Americans list "carbs", a figure which includes fibre. In the UK, carbs and fibre are listed separately - another source of confusion.

Ray

C

catherinecherub

Hi raydavis,
I really wanted the OP to know about the requirements of fibre for children as she is the parent of a child with Type 1 diabetes.
Hope this helps you understand why I posted it.

Take care,
Catherine.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Foods like rice and pasta absorb different amounts of water in cooking.
It's safer to go by dry weight for carb count.
UNLESS
you want to be scientific and weigh the food before and after your ususal cooking method and do the consequent arithmetic.
Hana

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks everyone! I had forgotten that I posted this question here. The most important thing is that I've got the figures for rice sorted, that was a big difference but my fault because I had misinterpreted the label.

Catherine, thanks for the info about fibre.

Hellyb

We downloaded an app onto our ipod touch that is called "CarbFinder", its fantastic. You can work out cooked or uncooked rice by weight or by cup. It gives lots of different types of foods to choose from in many different ways and then will calculate the carb amount for you. You can then add to a plate all your different foods and it will tell you the total amount of carbs. We take the ipod everywhere with us and have found it to be very accurate.

We are using a pump so we can extend the insulin to be delivered over a long period of time, ie an hour as rice is slow releasing.

We also use "Lloyds Chemist" own brand of weighing scales. They are the ones that you can calculate salt, carbs, fat etc on them. The only thing with these is that the food needs to be raw, not cooked. Its good for salad, we didn't think salad carried many carbs but you would be surprised what a bowl of cucumber, tomatoes, red pepper carry in carbs. These are great if you make your own cakes and you can use them like a calculator and keep adding the ingredients to M+ and then you will know how many carbs are in the total ingredients which can then be divided by how many muffins or portions you get.

Helly x