Stress, the cause of type 1

Dale1986

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I just wanted to put out there to the followers of this page a question. My question is, did anyone who was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, get their diagnosis after a traumatic event, or did a diagnosis of post traumatic stress disorder happen before the onset of type 1 diabetes????

I ask because myself who was diagnosed with PTSD at the age of 26 after tours of Afghanistan, then was diagnosed with type 1 shortly after. I'm trying to see if there is a connection.

Any experience or advice would be greatfull

Reactions: AnnieB13

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Not me personally, but I think a link has been made between traumatic events and the onset of type 1....

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No, not for me. I think another member has mentioned a stressful event prior to diagnosis but I can't remember who. I'll tag them if the name comes back to me.

I would imagine that any strain on a failing pancreas can be the final,straw that tips a person over into Type 1, eg stress, illness, pregnancy, etc etc

shivles

Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Well stress increases blood sugar for many people so it makes sense there would be a link although I'd say it just makes it apparent, you would always have been type 1 just not showing the symptoms yet I believe

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I lived as an army brat, but that was pre-diabetes, I don't think mine is to do with Military just came at me when i was 19.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No stress whatsoever in my carefree childhood..

Then BAM! 8 candles on a cake I couldn't eat.

Reactions: lizdeluz

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well stress increases blood sugar for many people so it makes sense there would be a link although I'd say it just makes it apparent, you would always have been type 1 just not showing the symptoms yet I believe

It's a normal response if any animal is on the offensive or defensive, (predator or prey?) get their "blood up" for a while..
There may well be a predisposition to T1? But it points towards an "autoimmune" response that kills off the beta cells in the pancreas.
Personally I don't see much of a link to stress resulting in T1..?

Though, funny enough a nurse asked my mum about "stress or trauma" when I was diagnosed 40 years ago..
Nothing like putting out a little "smoke screen" of self doubt on a mum of a T one when one can't come up with a decent answer. Health care professionals are good at that! ;)

Are you serenading me with that voice? or is it something i am meant to know :L

In a jovial mood & Just couldn't resist a bit of Paul Hardcastle... :D

Reactions: Type1Lad

Chocolate68

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I just wanted to put out there to the followers of this page a question. My question is, did anyone who was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, get their diagnosis after a traumatic event, or did a diagnosis of post traumatic stress disorder happen before the onset of type 1 diabetes????

I ask because myself who was diagnosed with PTSD at the age of 26 after tours of Afghanistan, then was diagnosed with type 1 shortly after. I'm trying to see if there is a connection.

Hi Dale,
In answer to your question I would almost certainly say YES. My girlfriend died suddenly in 2004. With the stress on my body at the time I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes and had to go onto insulin. Bereavment can really screw your body up.
On a positive note I hope you are managing your diabetes and good luck.
Best wishes.

Andy

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
No stress either, was living a young care-free life prior to my diagnosis.

Dale1986

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Dale,
In answer to your question I would almost certainly say YES. My girlfriend died suddenly in 2004. With the stress on my body at the time I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes and had to go onto insulin. Bereavment can really screw your body up.
On a positive note I hope you are managing your diabetes and good luck.
Best wishes.

Andy

Thanks, I completed tours of Afghanistan which is where the PTSD came from, as you can imagine I've witnessed some horrific scenes.

I've always been fit and healthy and no one in my family suffers with type 1, hence why I thought there could be a connection

bscarrier

Post stress for me. Dad died, pressure at work, long hours, long drives then bam Type 1 taking insulin. Came on very quickly. My opinion is that stress makes you more susceptible to the virus that causes an autoimmune affect on pancreas.

Carol11

In my case, most definitely YES. I had been put on overnights at work, my dad had just died, I developed pneumonia. I ticked a lot of boxes on the stress chart around that time. I was 60 at the time so I was in total shock. And it was T1 right from the start, none of this t2 misdiagnosis that so often occurs when dx as an adult.

RogerRam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting question. My dad died of a heart attack when I was 11-I had been playing tennis with him & my mother blamed me for his death in her grief & anger.

6 years later I had flu-like symptoms, became dehydrated & was admitted to hospital-diagnosis diabetes mellitus. My mother said this was becaused I had not grieved for my dad 'properly'-whatever that is :). I remember one benefit was missing my mock 'O' Levels-a stress-full time.

So from me it's a may be...?

Stress these days impacts my blood glucose both ways-up or down-it's weird.

All the best,

Roger

Reactions: AnnieB13

mblythe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I was diagnosed with diabetes after my Father died very suddenly, and after years of looking after him. Originally I was diagnosed as having type 2 diabetes, but subsequent tests have shown I am actually type 1, although I didn't get the condition until later on in life.

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's a normal response if any animal is on the offensive or defensive, (predator or prey?) get their "blood up" for a while..
There may well be a predisposition to T1? But it points towards an "autoimmune" response that kills off the beta cells in the pancreas.
Personally I don't see much of a link to stress resulting in T1..?

Though, funny enough a nurse asked my mum about "stress or trauma" when I was diagnosed 40 years ago..
Nothing like putting out a little "smoke screen" of self doubt on a mum of a T one when one can't come up with a decent answer. Health care professionals are good at that! ;)

In a jovial mood & Just couldn't resist a bit of Paul Hardcastle... :D
Aha it was a bit out of tune, X Factor awaits for you xo