New to forum

angelat2_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi I am useless at technology so if anyone can see this its a miracle. I was diagnosed type 2 nearly 6 months ago coming up to the 2nd 3 month check at GP surgery. I have been fairly good for most of it trying hard hanging on for the Desmond day in September but it was cancelled and next one is February so beginning to struggle.

Surgery said type 2 don't need to test glucose level so gave urine strips that only tell you if level above 10 so not much use I bought a meter from Diabetes UK site but not sure what I'm doing really.

I take metformin scared as heard it can damage your kidneys, I went for the diabetes eye check and he told me I shouldn't take any medicines as bad for you and to not eat any carbs, nurse told me I had to tell DVLA but website said only needed to fill in for if took insulin or had one of the listed complications which I don't so I'm totally lost.

I get itchy all over no idea if anything to do with diabetes.

Sorry it's a bit of a rant but is it always like this?

Hellrazor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Angelat2 and welcome to the forum.Cant answer all of your questions but will try to help with a few,did the Desmond course back in May well worth doing very informative.In the interim i would say low carb diet a definite (cut out sugar lower intake of pastries pasta potatoes. go for wholemeal or grain bread instead of white cake biscuit etc )also if you can exercise do so for at least 150 min a week half hour a day.Testing i would say that is a good way to go if you can afford to finance it as with type 2 they don't prescribe it unless you are very high.Itchy skin is quite common with type 2,Use a moisturizing soap and moisturizers to help alleviate the problem. Metformin can damage kidneys for a small percentage of people if you have been prescribed it they should be doing periodic blood tests to see how your body is coping with it .The DVLA one i have not heard of so cant help you their but others may be able to.Hope this gives you a little bit of a pointer.

Reactions: Prem51

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
The best place to get good info about controlling diabetes is from diabetics that are successfully controlling their diabetes. Congrats !! You found us :D:wideyed:. Metformin is a very safe drug and if you are tolerating it well, not in the bathroom all day, then I would not worry too much about it. Your doctor should be doing periodic labs anyways. Low carb is definitely the most effective diet for controlling blood sugars and there is an excellent low carb program on this site for free. Urine test strips are almost useless and a meter is essential to good control. How do you know how you are doing from day to day if you don't test? I will tag @daisy1 to send you the welcoming package and you should read it very carefully and follow all the links. If you have any questions come on back and ask away. We are a friendly bunch. Welcome to the forum.

Reactions: Mal37 and Prem51

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the forum. Have a good look around and dont be afraid to ask questions.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@angelat2_

Hello Angela and welcome to the forum :) Here, as mentioned above, is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you like and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 210,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

angelat2_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thak you all its a great help I will look at the info and shout if I need anything it's good to know so many people are managing fine

angelat2_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi I'm back it's been a long time and despite all your great advice I decided to just ignore my diabetes - it didn't help that my blood checks at docs where not far off the normal range regardless what I ate. Not sure if this is a common issue but I feel **** and overweight (being kind) and worry that I have symptoms of complications. Is it too late to start anew?

Reactions: Mal37

Mal37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Social situations
Hi I'm back it's been a long time and despite all your great advice I decided to just ignore my diabetes - it didn't help that my blood checks at docs where not far off the normal range regardless what I ate. Not sure if this is a common issue but I feel **** and overweight (being kind) and worry that I have symptoms of complications. Is it too late to start anew?
Wow you have no idea how like me you are .. or at least how I was! I truly didn't think I would ever control my eating .. I loved cakes, biscuits, baked potatoes FAR too much and ate them to excess as comfort food when things went wrong in my life. Then I purchased a book by Dr Jason Fung called The Diabetic Code and it opened my eyes! I find that I don't miss the foods I HAD to have at one time, and I feel so much better in myself (so important) I hope you can turn your life around too :)

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nope, not too late. Welcome, and good luck with the reboot!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Never too late. You can start afresh by reading Daisy1's post again and by asking questions. I have noticed that the more a member interacts on the forum the more guidance and encouragement they get. So don't be shy.