Dexcom G5 on Apple Watch in UK

alexlang

Hi all!

I was about to purchase the Dexcom G5 starter pack, with the aim of using it with the Apple Watch, but learnt that Dexcom doesn't support the Apple Watch in the UK. They're planning on introducing support early next year, but I was wondering if anybody has found a workaround for the meantime, for example a third party app.

Very grateful for any ideas!

Alex

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Or you can build yourself Loop if you have a Mac. It has the ability to incorporate Glucose level into a Watchface.

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@alexlang I have a G5 with nightscouter on my apple watch. It can sometimes be a bit slow updating as its still a watchos2 app but it gets me by. There is also myBG

4a5f02e8fedb24ff7b46f84f522f0872.jpg

d40984ec0a0b1e1ce63609fd000cb315.jpg

You do need to set up a nightscout account and server, it can be tricky but the nightscout website will be able to take you step by step.

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine is like a person, good days and bad, I've had day where it has updated all day no problem and the next needs manual refreshes.

He seems very active on FB so you could drop them a line to see if theres an bug fix update incoming.

What did you say you used? Loop? Haven't heard of that one. Can you send me a screenshot?

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@alexlang just another note, where did you hear about early next year for the apple watch Dexcom app?

alexlang

Thanks for the suggestion Elkbond - I'll look into Nightscouter.

I was told by a couple of guys on the Dexcom telephone help desk that they were hoping to have it roled out to the UK by early next year, and maybe even by the end of this year. It's a regulatory issue apparently.

I think it might be possible to just change the Country/Region on iTunes to US, download the Dexcom G5 app for Apple Watch, and then change back to the UK. Since the app is free you don't need to enter a US credit card, which is normally the main barrier to doing this.

The problem is, there's no way to know for sure until I've spent £685 on the Dexcom G5 starter pack and bought an Apple Watch!

jocat44

I use my Dexcom G5 mobile with a pebble time watch, I could just about understand that whereas nightscouter was beyond me!!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Thanks for the suggestion Elkbond - I'll look into Nightscouter.

I was told by a couple of guys on the Dexcom telephone help desk that they were hoping to have it roled out to the UK by early next year, and maybe even by the end of this year. It's a regulatory issue apparently.

I think it might be possible to just change the Country/Region on iTunes to US, download the Dexcom G5 app for Apple Watch, and then change back to the UK. Since the app is free you don't need to enter a US credit card, which is normally the main barrier to doing this.

The problem is, there's no way to know for sure until I've spent £685 on the Dexcom G5 starter pack and bought an Apple Watch!
The issue is the Share servers. The US app links to US share servers with the data in mg/dl while the European app links to European ones with data in mmol/l.

Up to you how you deal with that!

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Believe it or not I actually tried to download the US app, it failed on the log in screen.

Theres a lot more restriction in the US, your account has to be manually verified and you have to set up the g5 again but as if you were in America. A bit too much effort and trickery for a simple watch app I think!

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
From what I've heard the US App will not work outside of the US due to the Servers and the manual approvals you need to go through with Dexcom.

TOMJC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For anyone still following this, I have just spoken to the UK rep. The UK version of the iWatch was set to be produced and released by end of 2016, however, they have now confirmed that this will not be the case. They cannot confirm when it will be released and unfortunately I got the impression that it may be some way off.

Also another concern I had was whether the UK app is the same as the US app. The lady at Dexcom has confirmed that they are exactly the same and you can get widgets etc on the UK app just like in the US. Can anyone confirm if this is correct?

Thanks

Tom

TOMJC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Also has anyone found an easy and usable method of viewing results on the iWatch?

alexlang

Thanks for the update Tom.

Although I decided not to use the Apple Watch in the end, and just my iPhone in the regular manner, I'm pretty sure I have found a way of getting Dexcom G5 results on the Apple Watch:

1) Set up a US iTunes account (https://support.unblock-us.com/cust...gister-for-an-apple-id-without-a-credit-card-). You need to enter a US postal address, which you can pick at random. You don't need to have a US credit card as long as you're only downloading free apps, which of course the Dexcom app is. Download the Dexcom app from the US iTunes store. You can then revert to the UK store and the app will still work fine, but will need to switch back to the US store to download future Dexcom app updates.

2) Set up a Virtual Private Network (VPN) and set your Simulated Country to the US. Cyberghost 5 is a free and very easy to use VPN. Turn off cookies or turn on Private Browsing in your browser. Go to Dexcom.com and change the flag in the top right corner to the US one. Create a new Dexcom account.

Then just login to your US app using your US Dexcom account.

I have been informed by a good source that Dexcom are aware that people outside the US have been able to use the US app on their Apple Watches, and Dexcom isn't able to tell who they are or stop them. That person wasn't able to tell me how they thought it was done however.