Depression

Julesatnotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi,
I was recently diagnosed (last week) as T2 and maybe it's because I am on holiday from work and not as busy as usual but I feel quite depressed and it's not like me at all.
I'm due back at work on Wednesday and I'm arguing with myself about going back or ringing in sick.
Is the depression part of coming to terms with diabetes?
Any advice gratefully received.

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I suffer anxiety and depression, I did have anxiety before being diagnosed but it went away after hard work but unfortunately it's come back. The depression side is worse though I can have good days other days I just want to cry diabetes is hard work and it will bring along other issues such as mental health. Just remember you can only do your best and you are doing the best you can. Ask your GP to send you to therapy it's great to talk to someone about how you feel.

Reactions: redtree92
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It isn't necessarily a part of coming to terms with diabetes. It can be due to not achieving anything. I am a lot happier if I make a plan when I get up in the morning and complete that plan during the day. It doesn't have to big or complicated, just something you can look back on as a result.

When you go back to work you might feel better.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

There are definite links between diabetes and depression, but with such a recent diagnosis, I would suggest that what you are experiencing is very real, and making you very miserable, but it may be more the shock of diagnosis and the adjustment period that we all go through, than the onset of a deep depression. It is kind of like mourning. There are some articles on the internet about the different stages of grief that you may find interesting, if you have a google.

Basically we go through the grieving process when we are given the diagnosis, and for me, knowing what was happening gave me more confidence to roll with the punches. Knowing that it is 'just a stage' and 'this too will pass', is deeply reassuring.

I can't advise you on whether to go back to work or not. We are all different, and we each have different circumstances. But for me, the worst thing I can do when I feel down is to sit at home and be inactive. If I am busy - whether that is work, or going out, or shopping, or DIY, or any one of a 100 things (even reading the forum and finding out about diabetes), then the better I am able to handle the situation.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I have bipolar, but I had that long before getting type 2.
Strangle, when I was told I had type 2, I thought oh well I have to change the way I eat. I can honestly say that the diagnoses never made my bipolar any worse

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I think the shock is a lot but getting back to a routine is important regarding diabetes.

Its not necessarily diabetes related when people do become depressed after diagnosis.. There can be other things very quietly lurking in the background too..

redtree92

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I suffer anxiety and depression, I did have anxiety before being diagnosed but it went away after hard work but unfortunately it's come back. The depression side is worse though I can have good days other days I just want to cry diabetes is hard work and it will bring along other issues such as mental health. Just remember you can only do your best and you are doing the best you can. Ask your GP to send you to therapy it's great to talk to someone about how you feel.

sooooo true !! I can completely relate

x

Reactions: Type1Lad