Mother of a type 1 diabetic child and work.

Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi,
I am posting this as sort of a way to vent but also looking for some advice. My son is 5 years old he is a type one diabetic and he is on an insulin pump, he has havld diabetes for 3 years this December and he is in year one at school. He is also due to be put on a continuous blood glucose meter this month.

But the main reason I am posting is because I have become very stressed about wanting to get myself a part time job while he is at school, I really want to get back working again but am struggling to find anything or anywhere flexible enough to let me work during the school hours and understanding enough that I may need to leave work occasionally to assist the school with complications with my sons blood sugars or his pump. Childcare before and after school is also an issue as they won't take him because of his diabetes and them not being trained. I am a single mum living only my own and I just really want to find some part time work while my son is at school so I can relax a little knowing I am getting some sort of income. Has any other parents to young diabetics had problems like this? If you have did you find anywhere that worked around school hours and your child's diabetes? If you couldn't find anywhere how long did you have to wait before you could start working again? Or were you able to find some childcare that would look after your child before and after school on the days you worked? Any advice or just someone to talk to who is in the same situation as me would help. I keep getting very low about not being able to work and I don't think my friends without diabetic children really understand my situation as much as they try to or as much as a parent of a diabetic child would. Sorry for rambling on but I really would like some help or advice or just a general chat with someone else in my situation or who has been in my situation before. Thanks, Christine.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Aren't you eligible for some benefits? I should check into that if I were you.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Georgesmumchristine. As a 52 yr old T1 granddad I'm probably not the best person to advise, but I'm certain there are people on the forum who will be able to give support and advice a plenty.
Not sure what work you are looking for but could you work from home or try for a job where you are on your own and not tied down to working in a controlled environment.
Good luck to both of you.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Georgesmumchristine :)

Sadly the choice of part-time jobs isn't always wide and, of course, it depends on where you live. None of my children have diabetes but one of them has another health condition. I've worked part-time in shops (often offer school-friendly hours), offices and schools (good for fitting in with your son's holidays).

You do have some rights regarding taking time off if your child is ill. Read here:

https://www.gov.uk/time-off-for-dependants/your-rights

Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@therower thank you for your reply, I am basically looking for any job really just to get an income, I don't have any skills where I can work from home, I am just wondering if there was anyone else in my situation and what they did but thank you for your advice.

@dawnmc I am eligible for benefits but I would much rather work only because staying at home all the time is giving me cabin fever so I would prefer to work so I can get an income and more interactions with people but thank you for your advice

Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi @Georgesmumchristine :)

Sadly the choice of part-time jobs isn't always wide and, of course, it depends on where you live. None of my children have diabetes but one of them has another health condition. I've worked part-time in shops (often offer school-friendly hours), offices and schools (good for fitting in with your son's holidays).

You do have some rights regarding taking time off if your child is ill. Read here:

https://www.gov.uk/time-off-for-dependants/your-rights
Thank you for your response, I will have a look into the local schools and shops round here to see if they have anything available.

Reactions: azure

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Just a thought - but could you contact the school to see if there's any jobs there, dinner lady perhaps ? It would work brilliantly with your son being there as well as peace of mind that you can see him during the daytime too ;)

Reactions: himtoo and Struma

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you for your response, I will have a look into the local schools and shops round here to see if they have anything available.

Try your local,council too, if it's convenient for,you. They often have flexible working available :)

Check your tax credits too so you know how many hours you're ideally looking for in a job. Many larger shops will ask you the number of hours you want to work, and if you want school hours.

Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Just a thought - but could you contact the school to see if there's any jobs there, dinner lady perhaps ? It would work brilliantly with your son being there as well as peace of mind that you can see him during the daytime too ;)
Yeah I think I might just do that, if they don't have anything I can try they junior school as it's just across from his school, thank you :)

Reactions: himtoo
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Try your local,council too, if it's convenient for,you. They often have flexible working available :)

Check your tax credits too so you know how many hours you're ideally looking for in a job. Many larger shops will ask you the number of hours you want to work, and if you want school hours.
Thank you I'll definitely look into it :)

Reactions: azure

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I worked in larger companies, they often had flexi time. The last (proper) job I was in had the most flexible arrangements of any - depending on the roles the individual was fulfilling. For example, in a general admin role, very flexible, but, say, the call centre workers, much less flexible due to the requiremetns for fixed manpower needs over a protracted working day. They also supported the concept of "family time", there parents were able to have up to 5 days per annum to care for a sick dependant, paid, without recourse to annual leave.

Of course, as their Manager or Manager's Manager, that could be a nightmare where both parents worked for the same company, ensuring, except in extraordinary circumstances both parents weren't both on family time together and secondly building the trust the employee wasn't just expanding their annual leave entitlement.

Such companies do exist out there, but they are generally considered highly desirable employers and as such there were many, many employees with long service.

Have a look at the big employers in your area, then look on their corporate websites at the Careers/Job Opportunities areas where you'll often get clues on potential. For such a company it can be very worthwhile approaching them, once you can work out what sort of company they are, and ask about current or potential opportunities. Employers tend to love people with initiative who are showing they want to make things happen.

Good luck with it all. You have extra pieces in the puzzle, but it isn't unsolvable.

jharding

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My daughter (eight) has been T1D for three years. We never had any problems with the after-school clubs.

They were a little reticent at first, but we sat down and showed them what they had to do and they had a care plan. Plus, my daughter has the confidence of a PhD medical student (which is not always a good thing) so doing her bloods is no more difficult than another child's asthma, etc.

I would seek to re-engage with after-school club again. They shouldn't exclude your child on the basis of their disability

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi,
I am posting this as sort of a way to vent but also looking for some advice. My son is 5 years old he is a type one diabetic and he is on an insulin pump, he has havld diabetes for 3 years this December and he is in year one at school. He is also due to be put on a continuous blood glucose meter this month.

But the main reason I am posting is because I have become very stressed about wanting to get myself a part time job while he is at school, I really want to get back working again but am struggling to find anything or anywhere flexible enough to let me work during the school hours and understanding enough that I may need to leave work occasionally to assist the school with complications with my sons blood sugars or his pump. Childcare before and after school is also an issue as they won't take him because of his diabetes and them not being trained. I am a single mum living only my own and I just really want to find some part time work while my son is at school so I can relax a little knowing I am getting some sort of income. Has any other parents to young diabetics had problems like this? If you have did you find anywhere that worked around school hours and your child's diabetes? If you couldn't find anywhere how long did you have to wait before you could start working again? Or were you able to find some childcare that would look after your child before and after school on the days you worked? Any advice or just someone to talk to who is in the same situation as me would help. I keep getting very low about not being able to work and I don't think my friends without diabetic children really understand my situation as much as they try to or as much as a parent of a diabetic child would. Sorry for rambling on but I really would like some help or advice or just a general chat with someone else in my situation or who has been in my situation before. Thanks, Christine.

Hi, maybe something with the school system, from a dinner lady, about 1 1/2 hours per day, administration or training to be a LSA, then you would still be able to care for your child during the holiday's. Also, charity shops are always looking for volunteers, but you would need to tell them you could only work during school term, or goggle online for some inspiration. Good luck, I hope you find something
Take care RRB :)

bobcurly

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello. I was in a slightly different boat in that I was working 3 days a week when my 9 year old developed diabetes but it was not an issue for the wrap around club at school. They obviously needed training by the diabetic nurse but now they manage her fine. Your son should not be excluded from childcare because of diabetes. I have moved to a job where I am employed as a certain number of hours per week and if I need to change days for diabetic clinic then its fine. The after school club runs holiday club too so I use that if I am working the holidays. They know what is planned so call if need advice e.g booked the ice cream van to visit one day.

Another mum at school in the same position as you but with an autistic child has got a dinner lady job and 4 afternoon shifts at the afterschool club where her son goes (and my daughter) She too is a single mum and would struggle if her days didnt match the school insets etc. Her longer term plan is to move across to teaching assistant again for the hours.
Hope that helps x