Abscesses stomach

PG1759

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,

I've been type 1 for nearly 3 years now and mainly inject in the stomach(bolus), rotating the spot as much as possible.

In the last 6 months I've had an abscess appear and get treated and now have another one on the other side. I was previously given fluoxcilian to clear the infection which seemed to work, although I've been left with a scar. The latest one is sore and looks like I'm going back to the docs again this week.

Just wondered how common this was ?Do other people suffer from this ?

Any comments always welcome.

Thanks
Paul

M

mist

Never had that happen mate. Some people are just more prone to infection I think. Are you using a fresh needle tip each time?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I've not had a abscess from insulin injections, do you use a new needle each time you inject and make sure the injection site is clean?

You can inject in your arms, legs and bum too, on injections I would use my stomach & arms for my bolus doses and bum & legs for the basal.

PG1759

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks guys. I have to be honest and say on the very rare occasions I have reused a needle. Stopped doing that after the first abscess though. I always do the stomach as I find it's the most convenient place to inject when your at work