Told I can stop taking Metformin

bridg3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all. I was Diagnosed type two last December. I've had a great nurse who's been really helpful and supportive since then and I've lost a few pounds. I've been carb counting and checking my bloods myself to work out what works for me and doesn't.

Today I've been told stop taking metformin my numbers are normal again. So for the next month I'm going to see if my body can manage on it's own with healthy eating.

I'm totally over the moon. I'm high as a kite and it's not a sugar high.

Has anyone gone down this road and if so have donyou habe any warnings or do's and dont's to share.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all. I was Diagnosed type two last December. I've had a great nurse who's been really helpful and supportive since then and I've lost a few pounds. I've been carb counting and checking my bloods myself to work out what works for me and doesn't.

Today I've been told stop taking metformin my numbers are normal again. So for the next month I'm going to see if my body can manage on it's own with healthy eating.

I'm totally over the moon. I'm high as a kite and it's not a sugar high.

Has anyone gone down this road and if so have donyou habe any warnings or do's and dont's to share.
You should be extremely proud of yourself:)

Well done to you! You are now a perfect example to others who are struggling, of what can be achieved. You will no-doubt provide excellent advice to those who were in your position 10 months ago.

Last edited:

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
congratulations, I think @PenfoldAPD has gone down this route, hopefully he will pop up and share his experiences. I hope to join you next year

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
Well done. Just be careful that you don't slip back into your old ways of eating. Good luck

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done .. I was very lucky to be able to stop taking them only three months after I started ... Be very proud of yourself for this wonderful step backwards ... I hated taking them and now have my life back :)

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
congratulations, I think @PenfoldAPD has gone down this route, hopefully he will pop up and share his experiences. I hope to join you next year

Yes, came off Metformin after 4 months. Main thing to remember is don't panic if your readings are off for a little while. I had 8's in the first week and nearly lost it with worry :)

But now, with exercise and diet I consistently have FBG in the 5s.

Another tip will just be to maintain control. It sounds obviously but I let mine slip a little (extra crackers with my cheese etc) and my numbers went higher. Now carb counting again and back to good numbers. Maintaining around 20g a day which is easy if you put your mind to it.

Many congratulations, it's a great feeling to be diet and exercise controlled

Reactions: KateA and sagan07
A

asparagusp

"Maintaining around 20g a day which is easy if you put your mind to it." How can you determine the number of carbohydrates bridg3 needs?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done!
As the others have said, you may have a bit of a wonky period of adjustment, but ride it out.
:)

bridg3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks all. Kinda scary and I'm sure I'm going to panic next few weeks but weigh loss really does help.

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
"Maintaining around 20g a day which is easy if you put your mind to it." How can you determine the number of carbohydrates bridg3 needs?

Sorry I think you misread my post, I said I am maintaining 20g a day ... @bridg3 needs to work out what suits them best, everyone is an individual in this game :)

Reactions: Robbity and ziggy_w

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
simple really the number of carbs the human body needs is 0 (at east that's what my extensive research has shown as well as self experimentation).. managing to keep it that low is hard so allow yourself a few but don't go overboard is good advice.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I love these posts. Great inspiration and great support. Love it!

Reactions: wolfie53

bridg3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Quick update. Day two. Numbers around 5.4 before meals and below 8 two hours after. Overnight fasting number 5.0

Eating low carb Ish so far. Have stuck with no more than 45g of carbs.

Have got a little obsessed with checking bloods but hopefully that will stop when I stop worrying about my numbers.

magsiesss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who drive with fog lights on when its only a bit of mist
Great results - your hard work paying off ....

Hellrazor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
congratz keep up the good work.Healthy diet ie low carb and around 150 min of moderate exercise a week should keep you on track