morning bs?

haggis1972

Dislikes
spiders, rude people
hi there, i seem to be able to manage my bs all day i have got it down to between 5.5 and 7.8, but i can not get the morning fasting down it is anything from 8.3 to 9.4, the lowest was a 6.8 but my bed time reading was 4.4.
I am not on medication and have heard of the dawn phenomenon but is there anything i can do to try and change these readings? i have tried having a snack before bed, and no snack before bed and it seems to make no difference what so ever, any help would be greatly appreciated, and does this mean i will have to go on medication?
Sorry lots of questions at once but its really bothering me.

C

catherinecherub

Hi haggis,
I notice from one of your other posts that you are testing before meals and 3hrs. afterwards. Test 2hrs. afterwards. Your numbers there will give a good indication of what is going on. Ideally the 2hr. test should be near to the reading prior to the meal. When first starting out people often test 1,2,3 and even 4hrs afterwards to see what is happening. Try the 2hr. testing and see what is going on.
Just a thought and hope that it helps.

Catherine.

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Hi Sara,

I've tried a few things to keep my BS down; including drinking water with cider vinegar, sprinkling cinammon on certain foods, drinking the juice of a freshly squeezed pink grapefruit and also squeezing lemon juice over my food.

I guess you could try some of these; particularly either the grapefruit juice or the water and cider vinegar before going to bed.

lilibet

I know you have prob thought of this already, but make sure that your snack isnt responsible for pushing up the bg. So , a bit of cheese or charcuterie, or maybe peanuts , as opposed to a bit of toast or a biscuit. Maybe oatcake (Nairns fine milled only 4.4g carbs for one) would be most carby I would go

Also, to get a good idea - maybe a couple of random tests during the night to see difference between mid night and morning

I know that strong DP is hard to tackle for some, even with Metformin and/or insulin.

Im T1 and my basal insulin is spot on but with the best will in the world I do get random DP probs - torture to tackle cause a snack for me is guaranteed to push it up overnight

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
lilibet said:
I know you have prob thought of this already, but make sure that your snack isnt responsible for pushing up the bg. So , a bit of cheese or charcuterie, or maybe peanuts , as opposed to a bit of toast or a biscuit. Maybe oatcake (Nairns fine milled only 4.4g carbs for one) would be most carby I would go

I'm sure I've read on this forum that peanuts are to be avoided.

The best nuts to eat are either walnuts or almonds.

OH is also struggling with fasting blood sugars - have tried protein and fat snack before bed and reading is rarely dropping below 8. Ideas would be much appreciated guys!

haggis1972

Dislikes
spiders, rude people
I usually dont have anything before bed, but tried a cracker and cheese last night and this morning was 7.9 which is def better than 9.4, so will try a bit of cheese again tonight and fingers crossed that will start to bring my fasting levels down.Thank you for all your replies.

bedshaped2000

i find that if i have a couple of pieces of chocolate (2 to 4 squares or lindt 90% cocoa chocolate) i will always wake with sugar levels of around 4.6-5.1. Also if i back off from exercise in the day or do none, the morning sugar levels begin to creep up slowly . when i start exerciseing again the levels seem to lower. everybody is different but give em a try